PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find an art, thinking I'm screwed

Pages : [1] 2 3

Doctor Arcane
10/20/2005 5:38pm,
Ok here's the lay down, I studied the Buj for a while, mock what you will... it includes grappling, striking, weapons, old school waza/kata presented and then modern 'street fight' application henka also shown... For example, wrist lock, throw demonstrated, then "INRL, you'd have to soften them up first with some nice blows to the head and groin, lets throw those in".

So all was good. But I don't know, something changed, my dojo, me, I don't know. But weird cliques developed, more expensive special classes, all sorts of **** I just didnt want to deal with.

So. I'm looking for a new art. My first thought was Aikido, actually because I sort of dig the less competition, less ego, chill but able to dislocate shoulders without breaking a sweat atmosphere... However, according to people here and various what I've heard, a lot of the 'softer' arts have been pussied down or taken over by middle-aged white head cases (Taiji, Baqua, etc)

So then I'm left with what, Muy Thai, Krav Maga, San Shou, BJJ? I don't think I could study a pure grappling or striking art, which nixes two, cross training is effin expensive. I appreciate the skill of MMA guys, but I prefer more battlefield than 'sport'. No problem with sparring, but an art without groin strikes, what fun is that?

I don't know. Anyone have ideas? Or should I just stay home and drink heavily?

-Doc

Arde
10/20/2005 5:47pm,
You can always focus in striking or grappling or groundwork first, and then afterwards go into the other fields.
While cross training is definitely always a good thing, it might be good as well to focus in specific areas first(be it grappling, groundwork, or striking) and not trying to get muddled and confused with so many drill or techniques from cross-training so many things at once.

And it's cheaper too that way.

bwerb
10/20/2005 5:52pm,
Cross-training is expensive? On what planet? Find a gym which teaches classes in several disciplines and allows you to take so many classes per month/week. In this way you have the option of mixing it up and/or concentration of specific areas of weakness.

Off the top of my head I can name 5 local schools which offer this type of set-up. One monthly fee, pricing ramps up by number of classes/time commitment. I'm currently paying $90/month for four classes a week. I do two stand-up and two grappling for a nice mix.

I'm sure your area must have some similar set-ups.

jnp
10/20/2005 5:53pm,
The groin strike? She will always be there for you.

Doctor Arcane
10/20/2005 5:53pm,
Why don't you train BJJ and pretend that kicking someone on the groin will save you from getting ground and pounded?

Does BJJ actually covering pounding? I got the impression that it was strictly a grapling art? Hmm.. there's a place 2 miles from here that does it, I think I'll check it out next week.

patfromlogan
10/20/2005 5:55pm,
Or should I just stay home and drink heavily?

-Doc

That works for me.

Uh, where are you on planet Earth?

KFighter
10/20/2005 5:58pm,
Here's some arts for you.

BJJ
Muay Thai
Wrestling (Freestyle or Greco Roman)
Sambo
or Judo

bodar
10/20/2005 5:58pm,
Does BJJ actually covering pounding? I got the impression that it was strictly a grapling art? Hmm.. there's a place 2 miles from here that does it, I think I'll check it out next week.

No. His comment was to the fact that you need to be able to defend against takedowns properly or you will end up mounted. On "t3h str33t" that equals GnP.

Doctor Arcane
10/20/2005 9:11pm,
No. His comment was to the fact that you need to be able to defend against takedowns properly or you will end up mounted. On "t3h str33t" that equals GnP.

Oh I agree completely. But I think making a big divison between grappling and striking as two totally seperate things is stupid. A good martial artist will hit someone as a set up to a throw, hit them as they throw (or shoot or what ever), and once they mount them using grappling skills, hit them some more. It's a beautiful violent world, why limit yourself?

More over, since I'm feeling drunk and philosophical, I think a lot of the shoulder checking stuff really makes this point. When you drive it in, it is both grappling and striking, a shoot becomes a hit and vice versa. but yeah I'll check out BJJ when I sober up

PO9
10/20/2005 9:22pm,
Two words

_ing _ _ un

They claim to have it all and you won't even break a sweat.

Phrost
10/20/2005 9:29pm,
Find a school that trains with full resistance and aliveness and you'll be fine.

Aikido does the opposite of both.

BSDaemon
10/20/2005 9:40pm,
So. I'm looking for a new art. My first thought was Aikido, actually because I sort of dig the less competition, less ego, chill but able to dislocate shoulders without breaking a sweat atmosphere...
My first thought was to smack the **** out of you for your first thought.

I appreciate the skill of MMA guys, but I prefer more battlefield than 'sport'.
Obviously you donít appreciate their skill, or you would be willing to train a grappling art. Battlefield? You should try the military, oh wait, they train grappling arts too... scratch that. Besides youíre probably talking about mythical ancient samurai vs. ninja battlefields, not modern battlefields with guns and other scary stuff.

Hmm what to recommend... How about Psychadelic drugs? Some LSD, Mescaline, and Psilocybin ought to help maintain your ninja fantasy world.

Welcome.

Poop Loops
10/20/2005 9:45pm,
Become a fat network admin pretending to know how to fight. It's all you are good for.

PL

Leper_Messiah
10/20/2005 9:55pm,
Two words

_ing _ _ un

They claim to have it all and you won't even break a sweat.

Really depends on where you train. Dont pretend any other KF is any different. Coming from a background as a MA instructor I learned WC in a backyard after being referred by a friend.

I enjoyed getting owned and this sometimes meant: extensive bruising, black eyes, bloodied nose, a few chipped teeth and getting thrown (often on dog crap), hyper extended elbows etc. all from controlled sparring (never seriously injured).

I got very sweaty with 1000's of reps punching and kicking, stretches, bag work and sparring with other people of different shapes, sizes and backgrounds. Eventually learning forms.

My advice is look around your area and make a decision after actually looking at the various choices that are convenient for you to attend.

Te(V)plar
10/20/2005 10:12pm,
Looks like you're trying to take the ***** way out of this.

Sigil222
10/20/2005 10:32pm,
Phrost you hold aikido in great contempt and I was wondering if you could post some video of yourself and a highly thought of aikidoka tangling. Perhaps a shihan or one of their top students.