PDA

View Full Version : Pride vs Ufc?

Pages : [1] 2

Odacon
10/15/2005 10:20am,
Do you think Pride and Ufc will ever do a joint show? IMO it'd be a licence to print money, plus we'd all get to see some dream-matches and some great fights, how likely would it be and what would prevent it?

Shillelagh
10/15/2005 10:40am,
Possibility of one promotion getting completely schooled (*cough*ufc*cough*) would prevent it.

Knightmare
10/15/2005 12:57pm,
Maybe in the heavyweight division.....(Arlovski, Mir, Sylvia wouldn't be push overs by any means however).

I don't see anyone schooling Chuck, Sobral, Horn, or possibly Randy. Brandon Vera and Sakara look very promising. Van Arsdale vs a lower Pride middleweight(Vitor or Igor) would be pretty close. Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar are toss ups.

Tanner, Louiseau, and Rich Franklin have the 185 on lock down.

Welterweight division is STACKED in the UFC's favor. St. Pierre, Parysian, Hughes, Miller, Sherk, Verrisimo, etc.

UFC doesn't have a lightweight division anymore really.

If there was a Pride vs UFC, it wouldn't be a PRIDE runaway like everyone makes them out to be. It would be a pretty close card, with the light heavyweights deciding who is the best orginization.

Shillelagh
10/15/2005 5:28pm,
I don't see anyone schooling Chuck, Sobral, Horn, or possibly Randy.
Rampage already schooled Chuck, and although Chuck KO'ed Mezger and Overeem, he was far from dominant until the end of those matches. As for the others, you don't think Shogun could beat any one of them after his performance in the last middleweight GP? Speaking of the tournament, there's also Rogerio Nogueira, and Silva ain't dead yet.

Tanner, Louiseau, and Rich Franklin have the 185 on lock down.
That's far from a lockdown against guys like Henderson, Hansen and Yves Edwards. And it's been years since Bustamante has looked as good as he does right now.

Welterweight division is STACKED in the UFC's favor. St. Pierre, Parysian, Hughes, Miller, Sherk, Verrisimo, etc.
Well, aside from the fact that a couple of those guys aren't under contract with Zuffa, and one or two just aren't good enough to fight on behalf of the UFC, I'll give this one to you, hands down. St. Pierre and Matt Hughes would likely be more than a match for Gomi and Sakurai.

And as much as I'd like to see ALL of those fighters matched up, if it was too dominant in favor of either org, it would be disastrous for the other. And then there's the matter of rules, neither org likes to comprimise those...all of this and more is why this type of event is just never going to happen.

Knightmare
10/15/2005 5:40pm,
Rampage already schooled Chuck, and although Chuck KO'ed Mezger and Overeem, he was far from dominant until the end of those matches. As for the others, you don't think Shogun could beat any one of them after his performance in the last middleweight GP? Speaking of the tournament, there's also Rogerio Nogueira, and Silva ain't dead yet.

That's far from a lockdown against guys like Henderson, Hansen and Yves Edwards. And it's been years since Bustamante has looked as good as he does right now.

Well, aside from the fact that a couple of those guys aren't under contract with Zuffa, and one or two just aren't good enough to fight on behalf of the UFC, I'll give this one to you, hands down. St. Pierre and Matt Hughes would likely be more than a match for Gomi and Sakurai.

And as much as I'd like to see ALL of those fighters matched up, if it was too dominant in favor of either org, it would be disastrous for the other. And then there's the matter of rules, neither org likes to comprimise those...all of this and more is why this type of event is just never going to happen.

Yves Edwards fights at 185 now? Yes, they have it locked down. Hendo and Bustamante aren't anything special anymore.

Hughes would stomp Gomi.

Rampage vs Chuck was years ago. Chuck wasn't hot then, Quinton was smoking.

ojgsxr6
10/15/2005 5:59pm,
I'm not a big fan of MMA, but if they went Pride rules do you think the UFC guys would be able to hack it? Not so much the rules but the 10 minute first round.

Knightmare
10/15/2005 6:16pm,
Mir might not, I highly doubt he could cut the 10 minute round. Hell he had trouble doing 3 minute rounds in a few of his fights.

Maybe Tim Sylvia, he always has pretty quick fight and hasn't proved that he can hang in there when it gets late in the game, but I doubt that coming from a Miletich fighter.

I can't think of anyone else in the UFC who couldn't. They all seem to have decent cardio.

Shillelagh
10/15/2005 6:52pm,
Knightmare, have you seen the opening round of the Bushido tournament? It doesn't sound like it. Henderson and Bustamante are on fire now that they don't have to bulk to make weight. If anything, I'd say Tanner is the only truly prominent 185 pounder who's proven to be "nothing special anymore."(Don't get me wrong, I really like tanner, and I hope he keeps fighting.)

Thaiboxerken
10/15/2005 7:16pm,
Rampage vs Chuck was years ago. Chuck wasn't hot then, Quinton was smoking.

You think Chuck is hot? You Romo.

Phrost
10/15/2005 7:57pm,
As Scrapper is fond of saying, nearly all of the UFC fighters would win over the Pride guys by way of the deadly "Pee in a Cup" jutsu.

GarageJudokaSS
10/16/2005 3:30am,
As Scrapper is fond of saying, nearly all of the UFC fighters would win over the Pride guys by way of the deadly "Pee in a Cup" jutsu.

Yeah, but Scrapper can't name three Pride Heavyweights. (love you, Scraps).

This would be great, won't happen. UFC has sent a few "reps" to Pride before, and while Chuck performed well in a few matches, he wasdestroyed inteh GP. None of the others have faired as well as Chuck.

Depending on who they atch Chuck with, he could get destroyed. Arona, Shogun, or Rogerio would anhilate him. With Wand, while he's a more ersatile striker, the match is more of a toss up, and the ruleswoudl come more into play.

Randy could beat Wand in the cage, mayeb not in teh ring, and I think those other three woudl be a bad match for him, though I can see him beating Arona.

The heavyweight division would be decimated, as Arlovski is nestled between about 6 Pride HWs in the rankings for a REASON... Everyoen else is so far below the "Big 3" and AA, it's hardly worth discussing.

The lower weight classes could be a toss up.

Stick
10/16/2005 3:35am,
And then Genki Sudo would unite everyone under one banner of love and peace...

Knightmare
10/16/2005 4:57am,
Knightmare, have you seen the opening round of the Bushido tournament? It doesn't sound like it. Henderson and Bustamante are on fire now that they don't have to bulk to make weight. If anything, I'd say Tanner is the only truly prominent 185 pounder who's proven to be "nothing special anymore."(Don't get me wrong, I really like tanner, and I hope he keeps fighting.)

Yes I saw it.

Defeating Masanori Suda, Minowa and Akihiro,Ryo Chonan doesn't make you hot.

fanatical
10/16/2005 8:42am,
iden
And then Genki Sudo would unite everyone under one banner of love and peace...

WE ARE ALL ONE! :new_smili

Shillelagh
10/16/2005 10:41am,
Yes I saw it.

Defeating Masanori Suda, Minowa and Akihiro,Ryo Chonan doesn't make you hot.

I guess how many guys you have to put down in one night faster than anyone has before in order to be considered "hot" is subjective, so I'm not even going to touch that.

But Evan Tanner displayed nothing in his fights with David Loiseau and Rich Franklin that Henderson doesn't have, only better. Tanner put them both in danger more than once, there's no reason to think Henderson couldn't do the same thing in a more disciplined manner and G&P his way to a TKO or decision.

FighterJones
10/16/2005 10:51am,
I would LOVE to see wandy vs chuck