PDA

View Full Version : McDojo is Invading my College!

Pages : [1] 2

Nathan McScary
10/13/2005 5:07pm,
Well, not a McDojo persay, but pretty damn close. Here's the deal.

I go to school in a small college town. On campus, I take Kenpo and am happy with it. A few of my friends in Kenpo (including myself) train MMA when time allows. In town, there is a Tang Soo Do school. I'm friends with a few of those guys and spar with them from time to time. Thing is, that while these TSD guys are cool people, there are way too far on the traditional MA end of the spectrum. I argue with them occasionally for various reasons (IE They think that katas are the most important part of martial arts because "all the moves that you need to know are in a kata". And they often insult our free-sparing style in kenpo where we don't break between hitting our opponent. They only do point sparing because "In a real fight once you get hit once, you're going down."). They informed me a few weeks ago that they have started an official on campus MMA club. I was curious about this so I found out more information on it. Basically their idea of MMA is that they get a bunch of martial artist guys together and alternate teaching styles (one week I would teach kenpo or something, next week one of them would teach Tang Soo Do, next week some one would teach Tae Kwon Do, etc.) and point spar a little bit if time allows. Keep in mind that almost all the people they have lined up to show moves in class are from tranditional standup styles. This sounded like a terrible idea to me, and I missed the first week that they offically held there club. They even managed to book the SAME building as us on the SAME night, so right after Kenpo is out, they come in. I talked to one of the Kenpo guys in my class who went (guy who used to be involved in Val Tudo outside the states), and he said that they would only allow point sparing (their style's way) and insulted a lot of the things he had to say.

Now this is kind of getting on my nerves. Especially the one Tang Soo Do guy who is a black belt and thinks he has the right to criticize everything I do martial arts-wise because he is a black belt and his style is apparently better than mine (according to him anyways). I'm debating what to do. I may end up going, but I don't think that I will be showing these guys any moves, if they want to be super traditional and think that they are the ****, I'm not going to bother showing them subs or anything. I may go with some of my Kenpo and/or MMA friends and just train by ourselves in the corner. Or, I could get a group of about five of us together and show up, request sparring matches MMA style or no-break stand up style. We would most likely beat them, then we would just leave. Or I could just kind of bite the bullet and point spar and learn crazy katas from a zillion styles. Or I could just not show up at all and ignore it.

What do you guys think about this situation? I am curious to hear your thoughts.

Teryan
10/13/2005 5:20pm,
Challenge the BB to a match under your rules (not point style). You win it's ovbious who has the better MA, you loose you suck, :)

EternalRage
10/13/2005 5:29pm,
In town, there is a Tang Soo Do school. I'm friends with a few of those guys and spar with them from time to time. Thing is, that while these TSD guys are cool people, there are way too far on the traditional MA end of the spectrum. I argue with them occasionally for various reasons (IE They think that katas are the most important part of martial arts because "all the moves that you need to know are in a kata".
I've been in Tang Soo Do for years and **** like this really gets me pissed off.

And they often insult our free-sparing style in kenpo where we don't break between hitting our opponent. They only do point sparing because "In a real fight once you get hit once, you're going down.").
When I read this a blood vessel popped in my head.

They informed me a few weeks ago that they have started an official on campus MMA club.PLEASE GO IN THERE AND BEAT THE **** OUT OF THEM AND TAPE IT AND BRING THAT **** HERE SO I CAN FEEL VINDICATED.

EternalRage
10/13/2005 5:31pm,
No seriously, I feel your pain man. Collegiate martial arts where I'm from suck and I talk to people and try to get them to realize it and talking never works. Sometimes they only understand an ass kicking. I had a friend who didn't see the benefits of grappling till I took him down and submitted him multiple times.

Sometimes force is the only way.

kiai_killer
10/13/2005 5:32pm,
Tell him his style isn't worth a **** and gong sau him.

roly
10/13/2005 5:55pm,
get him to hit you and then fight back

show him how stupid that assumption is

sweats
10/13/2005 6:12pm,
We have something kind of similar at my school. There are tons of college martial arts clubs with various degrees of realism in their training. We have everything from BJJ to aikido and kung fu. In my humble opinion (bracing myself for flaming), the BJJ club is the most realistic amongst the alternatives here. If you want, you could challenge them, but I doubt it would do any good. First off, I really doubt they'd agree to fight on terms that aren't their own. Second, even if they did and you stomped them, they'd just make excuses. I could have used throatstrikes, but I didn't want to hurt them kind of b.s. and so forth. The only plus is you might reach a few people who aren't too wrapped up in the traditionalist hype. I did really traditional karate before I did BJJ and it's easy to get wrapped up in the dogma. So, best case scenario, you might save the people who just started but you won't convince the people that are already holding their cups of the special kool-aid. Just take solace in the fact that you could kick their asses and that maybe someday they'll be in a real fight and learn a lesson in reality the hard way.

MP3KSC
10/13/2005 6:13pm,
heres a radical idea... why not out point spar him or when you lose you smack him in the face and say, "I'm not down FOOL!" I say the worst thing that could happen is getting mobbed by people who are only gonna hit you once anyways...

Scrapper
10/13/2005 6:48pm,
Give him a free shot. Then crush him.

GreenHornet
10/13/2005 8:00pm,
break him like the little sissy he is

hl1978
10/13/2005 9:36pm,
the TSD guy is right

against your averageperson one solid hit will take them down

against anyone with training its a different story, but the average american doesnt train any martial arts at all.

Lotion
10/13/2005 9:44pm,
damn, there were two sites I used to laugh at that were MMA college sites (not 'MMA Fighting but like what was earlier described). It's BS - go for a laugh and kick some ass.

Robot Jesus
10/13/2005 10:49pm,
would they be willing to use kumite rules?

FictionPimp
10/14/2005 7:58am,
the TSD guy is right

against your averageperson one solid hit will take them down

against anyone with training its a different story, but the average american doesnt train any martial arts at all.

Unless by average person you mean sissy. I've found people who are actually mad at you dont just fall down. I've broke noses, fingers, snap kicked guys in the chest, not one guy has ever droped from a single strike from my 180 pound ass that didn't get right back up and keep going until people pullled us apart. The fact is, not everybody you fight is going to be less physically condishoned then you. And when your my size, most people who are willing to fight you are bigger then you. And I can tell you that its a lot harder to punch/kick someone bigger then you and hurt them so bad they dont get back up. Its also a lot harder to punch/kick them and not get mauled. Thats why we have weight classes right? I'm not saying its not possible for me to take out some 250 pound guy by being faster then him. But what if he played football for years and can take a beating and is a very fast sprinter? I'm sure my kick is going to really stop him from just running me down, sitting on my chest and beating me silly. I'm going to have to get off the line and wear him down.

Anyways, i'm rambling. But its silly to hope a single strike will stop non martial artists. You have to think about drunks, football players, crack heads, pure anger, pure hopelessness (like getting robbed ont he street by someone with nothing left to lose), etc.

Anthracis
10/14/2005 8:15am,
TSD Guy will never get his ass kicked because he sounds like the type that is too chicken **** to ever get in an altercation with anyone. He probably says **** like: I hate to fight, I am too powerful to fight, I don't want to go to jail, etc...*****!

I think that you should get a bunch of BJJ or MMA guys and start your own "club" and invite the guy to train. Then, light him up a bit. But I bet he is too chicken **** to even attend that. So just go and train with like minded people (which is exactly what the TSD guy is doing because he is not going to do something that will not stroke his ego!!!)

Bottom line: chicken **** people will always be chicken **** people...training or no training!

hl1978
10/14/2005 9:58am,
Unless by average person you mean sissy. I've found people who are actually mad at you dont just fall down. I've broke noses, fingers, snap kicked guys in the chest, not one guy has ever droped from a single strike from my 180 pound ass that didn't get right back up and keep going until people pullled us apart. The fact is, not everybody you fight is going to be less physically condishoned then you. And when your my size, most people who are willing to fight you are bigger then you. And I can tell you that its a lot harder to punch/kick someone bigger then you and hurt them so bad they dont get back up. Its also a lot harder to punch/kick them and not get mauled. Thats why we have weight classes right? I'm not saying its not possible for me to take out some 250 pound guy by being faster then him. But what if he played football for years and can take a beating and is a very fast sprinter? I'm sure my kick is going to really stop him from just running me down, sitting on my chest and beating me silly. I'm going to have to get off the line and wear him down.

Anyways, i'm rambling. But its silly to hope a single strike will stop non martial artists. You have to think about drunks, football players, crack heads, pure anger, pure hopelessness (like getting robbed ont he street by someone with nothing left to lose), etc.

note that the TSD guy said going down, not knocked out, I would take this to mean, as falling down to the ground, which could be accomplished via a single strike to the head/body/ or to the legs

im talking about the average american male

the average american is 35.3 years old in 2000

http://commcgi.cc.stonybrook.edu/artman/publish/article_884.shtml

is 5'9" and weighs 172lbs

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:zhVdkK_iXwgJ:www.sexualrecords.com/WSRaverages.html+average+american+male+weight&hl=en
(has all sort of other interesting sexual stats here too, but hey it popped up in google first)

is not hopped up on drugs, or drunk at any given moment, did not play football or wrestle, did not go to prision.

You walk up to the average person on the street, and I am pretty sure I could get them to hit the ground via a sucker punch or striking their leg.

now the average person with whom you might enter an altercation is a different story due to the factors you listed.

they could be stronger, they could be weaker, I was a boy scout as I kid, so I know you need to be prepared.