PDA

View Full Version : Combatsports MMA Training Gloves

BackFistMonkey
10/07/2005 12:15pm,
ok well I just got the MMA Training Gloves I ordered from Combat Sports . I ordered them on Friday and they arrived in town tuesday according to the UPS Tracking Site .
The local UPS guys suck . But they were packed and shipped out in a very reasonable amount of time.

Once recieved I promptly opened the box checked the stitching and seams . Everything seems perfect . The edges are rolled , there are no sharp protrusions , The wrist strap has heavy duty velcro . I was worried about the finger loops coming loose from the pad but now that I have been able to hold them and wear them I think they should do ok and hold up , being double stitched leather loops , but only time will tell.

I gave myself a couple ( nine or ten ) decent shots to the skull and I will say the gloves are ... uniquely padded ... they do shock a bit more than 16 oz boxing gloves but honestly they provide more padding than I was expecting for such a light weight glove .The Thumb is padded for ridge hands but the way the gloves fold out at the bottom of the glove I would hesisitate to hammer fist anyone I liked with them . It may catch an eye or eyelid . I will take some pictures tonight and show you what I mean .

I weigh in right around 150 so I was worried about the fit . The wrist strap is the barest smallest bit loose but I think when I start grip training that will be fixed untill then I will just use an elastic wrap to fill the space . If you have normal sized forarms I dont see any issues here . The gloves fit my hands perfectly though my fingers seem to stick out a tad more than they should ( long hands and fingers ) . But yet again only time and use with them will tell.

So , so far so good , I will update this thread tonight after sparring class with pictures and more commentary . I am gonna go play with my new gloves for a while.

Combat Sports MMA Training Gloves (http://www.combatsports.com/detail_tuf2.aspx?ID=22292)

note the nicely padded thumb area for ridge hands

J-Lau
10/07/2005 12:33pm,
I love these gloves.

Omega Supreme
10/08/2005 4:29pm,
I'll give them thumbs up with Jlau here.

Phrost
10/08/2005 4:32pm,
I can get them wholesale, and was thinking of reselling them here for people who wanted them.

BackFistMonkey
10/08/2005 6:37pm,
Camera is screwed and sparring sucked on friday . ( no contact ,shadow kicking, evasion drills , and other such nonsense ). Will get the pics up later tonight and the comments when I actually use the damn things to hit a person . But so far its two thumbs up .

and for the record this post was written while wearing the gloves ( just to see if I could ) ... the only handicap I can see is that the shift keys are tricky and the edge of the gloves keep hitting enter or caps lock .

oldman_withers
10/08/2005 9:37pm,
NERD! No really though, I need to get some sparring gear (just gloves and shinpads) soon so I'll look into these. What kind of shinpads do you guys use? I just want enough padding for daily sparring. Thanks.

BackFistMonkey
10/09/2005 11:48am,
NERD! No really though, I need to get some sparring gear (just gloves and shinpads) soon so I'll look into these. What kind of shinpads do you guys use? I just want enough padding for daily sparring. Thanks.

I dont have any shin guards I borrow an old ass ragged TKD shin/instep slide on protectors from my Hapkido instructor when we spar . They seem to do ok for me but my sparring partners arent as dedicated to MA and dont condition as much as I do and they claim the pads dont do crap for them . I think its the perfect level of protection for me .

P.S. pictures are up .....

Multitask
11/05/2005 6:04pm,
Hate to bump an old thread, but just wondering if the wholesale situation came to fruition? Also wondering if you've had a chance to spar with these to date. I'm very interesting in using these as sparring/bag gloves, so any caveats/issues so far?

BackFistMonkey
11/05/2005 6:12pm,
Hate to bump an old thread, but just wondering if the wholesale situation came to fruition? Also wondering if you've had a chance to spar with these to date. I'm very interesting in using these as sparring/bag gloves, so any caveats/issues so far?

I have been using these gloves as bag gloves recently ... the foam died in my wavemaster freestanding bag ( so its basicly like punching a PVC pipe with a feather pillow wrapped around it ... ). They are holding up fine on a canvas bag ... I would assume leather would be a little harder on them ... * shrugs * they are good gloves so far ... I cant complain ...

I have done some light contact and medium contact with them ... I love them . I will put some full contact miles on the gloves this coming up saturday I will update again after that happens .

Problems ?
I havent found any yet ... one of the best 60 bucks I have ever spent ...

Multitask
11/06/2005 8:45am,
I have been using these gloves as bag gloves recently ... the foam died in my wavemaster freestanding bag ( so its basicly like punching a PVC pipe with a feather pillow wrapped around it ... ). They are holding up fine on a canvas bag ... I would assume leather would be a little harder on them ... * shrugs * they are good gloves so far ... I cant complain ...

I have done some light contact and medium contact with them ... I love them . I will put some full contact miles on the gloves this coming up saturday I will update again after that happens .

Problems ?
I havent found any yet ... one of the best 60 bucks I have ever spent ...
Thanks for the update. I think I'll be ordering a set, as everyone who uses them seems to be happy with their performance. My heavy bag is a leather Everlast model, so I'll try to add my experiences with them to this thread.

J-Lau
11/07/2005 5:15pm,
I have two pair... we use these exlcusively when training MMA and getting ready for fights... not one injury with them yet. And we go hard.... my "50%" is like a rabid wolverine to most people

Multitask
11/07/2005 8:44pm,
I have two pair... we use these exlcusively when training MMA and getting ready for fights... not one injury with them yet. And we go hard.... my "50%" is like a rabid wolverine to most people
After watching your highlight vid, I can believe it bro. :lol: You guys have sold me on these, just waiting to find out if phrost can wholesale them, as I'm not necessarily in a huge hurry to pick them up.

JKing
11/07/2005 8:50pm,
thats strange, I bought the same glove from combatsports and it looks a little bit differant.

BackFistMonkey
11/13/2005 2:03pm,
Friday (november 11th) I tested the gloves out . I was hesitant but it went very well.
The gloves worked for me in stand up and on the ground . I grappled hard in them and found them much easier to deal with than expected . They didnt hurt or help my game on the ground much .

During stand up I found it alot easier to stay relaxed as the punch is thrown then tighten up as or right before impact happened , it is hard for me to do this in boxing gloves . The double wrist strap must have done its job becouse I didnt notice it working or not . The gloves felt natural and held up great . No scratches on the leather but a few new creases . After laying into the body and punching his guard for a bit the gloves actually became more comfortable (even after all the bag work I had done on with them on ) . I landed a jab straight into the chin early on in the match. It felt perfect ... no wierd "rolling sensation" or a sense of "squishyness" I get from boxing gloves . It rocked him more than I expected so I toned it down a tad bit .

again another 2 thumbs up for these gloves .

Ming Loyalist
11/13/2005 2:23pm,
to me they look just like shooto gloves.

is there anyone out there who has trained with them that has also used shooto gloves? i would like to know the differences (if any)

i buy the shooto gloves wholesale for my school, but we also have an account with CS so both gloves are about the same price.