PDA

View Full Version : Grappling Larger Opponents

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

fusenshi
10/06/2005 3:35pm,
Ok, here is the scenario. I have been working on getting better at my grappling. I have found a few guys to work out and spar with. I have found that, when rolling with a person my size or a little larger, I can usually dominate in the group. However, we have a new guy working out with us. He is training to become a boxer (good so he can help me with boxing) and he wants to practice grappling. This guy is a monster. He is my height at 5'10 but he weighs in at 225 and it is rock solid muscle. Guy looks like tyson. I walk at 190 but could handle loosing about 10 more lbs. We rolled today, and while I was able to control him through positioning, I found it very hard to get submissions. He could power through just about anything. I caught him in one armbar, but I had on the wrong type of clothes (windsuit pants) and he was able to pull his arm out. Like I said, I was able to primarily dominate with positioning, but do any of you grapplers have advice on ways to pull subs on someone that can just power through most things? During the roll, we weren't allowed to throw strikes, so I couldn't work that. We are talking just submissions.

Any advice?

Ronin
10/06/2005 3:42pm,
You are trying to power your subs, that's why you can't do them on people bigger/stronger.
You have to rely on technique.
Most people power their way into grappling, they might not even know it, that is why its is crucial to roll with people that are bigger and stronger.
The main principle in judo.juijutsu/jujutsu is "ju", which means, amongst other things, flexiblity, and that means to "give way" to "go with it".
The only way to use your opponents strength and size against him, is to give way, don't resist his attempts to "hold off your subs", tahe adavantage of his resistence and go for another sub.
Can't get the arm bar, go for the mount or triangle.
When he pushes you off, arm bar, when he pulls you in, kimura/americana.

Flow baby, flow.

Guardsmasher
10/06/2005 3:46pm,
With big guys who are strong you have to make sure you have their shoulder up off the ground and right in your crouch before you try to bring the armbar into effect.
If he folds his arm back to try and stop it then push his wrist up toward his elbow,that should get him tapping.

dramaboy
10/06/2005 3:59pm,
The best advice EVER I got while being smothered into a hairball by a 300 pound blob of fat was this: "Use his weight against him".
:))))))

Try to stay on top. Try to isolate his limb not by sitting there and wrestling his arm, but rather by moving from pin to pin and makeing HIM isolate his arm by trying to grab you or bench press you.

Try to make it into a drill.
Side control ->mount -> he bench presses you -> armbar
Side control -> kesagatame -> he puts his hand against your throat/face -> kimura

Of course, all these presume that you already have dominant position.
If you keep working with heavyer people, many things will come naturally.

(I'm so bloody smart I can't stand myself...pfft)
Tomas

You are trying to power your subs, that's why you can't do them on people bigger/stronger.
Most people power their way into grappling, they might not even know it, that is why its is crucial to roll with people that are bigger and stronger.
The main principle in judo.juijutsu/jujutsu is "ju", which means, amongst other things, flexiblity, and that means to "give way" to "go with it".
The only way to use your opponents strength and size against him, is to give way, don't resist his attempts to "hold off your subs", tahe adavantage of his resistence and go for another sub.

Flow baby, flow.

Meager
10/06/2005 4:22pm,
Train more.

Anthracis
10/06/2005 4:40pm,
Be sure that your conditioning is very good. Most big strong guys rely on their strength too much. If you keep pressing the action, I guarantee that they will wear out and they will be sub'd. I have had a lot of bigger guys just quit before I had chance to sub'em. I keep conditioned by running 6.5-10 miles per day and training. That and technique will always prevail over strength.

But between two grapplers of equal technique proficiency, the stronger one will prevail most of the time.

Bottom line: TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN, and then go TRAIN some more!!!

Odacon
10/06/2005 4:46pm,
If your smaller you have to be able to outlast them and also be faster, so play to those strenghts and work on your weaknesses. A great thing about grappling and just training in general with larger guys is that your strenght increases incredibly, so when it's competion time and you fight in your weight class, you'll be slamming people left right and centre.

Gezere
10/06/2005 4:52pm,
At my gym we have a 320lber, a 280lber, 250lber, 230lber, and me @220lbs. They are all my bitches!!!:D 250lber is a big strong brute. He was shocked when when I tapped him all through training. He wasn't used to being manhandled because most everyone one isn't as strong as he is.

You have to be more flowing with big guys and not static so the can fight with force. You have to chain your subs togehter so while they defend on you can hit them with the other by surprise.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10/06/2005 4:55pm,
Elbow them in the spine, or gouge their eyes.

MrSmith
10/06/2005 5:22pm,
Yes, but that would only work in the UFC and not the street. My style is better for the street because we train in decapitating our opponents and tearing their limbs off. Why go for the eyes or the fingers when you can have the whole enchilada?

fusenshi
10/06/2005 5:32pm,

Flow baby, flow.

I'll take that to heart. I can definately see how I need to work on that as you can always get better at it. I like the armbar from a push thing. I'm going to have to definately try that.

fusenshi
10/06/2005 5:34pm,
Be sure that your conditioning is very good. Most big strong guys rely on their strength too much. If you keep pressing the action, I guarantee that they will wear out and they will be sub'd. I have had a lot of bigger guys just quit before I had chance to sub'em. I keep conditioned by running 6.5-10 miles per day and training. That and technique will always prevail over strength.

But between two grapplers of equal technique proficiency, the stronger one will prevail most of the time.

Bottom line: TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN, and then go TRAIN some more!!!

That is how I pulled it out. He finally gave up because I wore on him too much. I still wanted that sub.

fusenshi
10/06/2005 5:37pm,
You have to be more flowing with big guys and not static so the can fight with force. You have to chain your subs togehter so while they defend on you can hit them with the other by surprise.

I'm going to have to do this better. I can definately see how I could have done better here. I felt pretty good that I could control someone that big and powerful, but I can see how I need work on my subs. I am excited about it because you don't get better if someone doesn't make you work for it.

G8
10/06/2005 5:46pm,
are you fusenshi from HCOJ? :wtfgif9fr

fusenshi
10/06/2005 5:47pm,
are you fusenshi from HCOJ? :wtfgif9fr

Yeah, who are you?

G8
10/06/2005 5:53pm,
my latest name there is unferth ... leftist troll am I ...