PDA

View Full Version : UFC 55 - Predictions

Pages : [1] 2

CaliKyle
10/03/2005 4:19pm,
Okay guys, I figure it's time for this. Let the debating begin.

Official Fight Card

Heavyweight Championship
Andrei Arlovski vs. Paul Buentello

Winner: Andrei. I just don't see Buentello being strong enough or fast enough to deal with Arlovski's strikes or takedown attempts.

Light Heavyweight Bouts
Forrest Griffin vs. Elvis Sinosic

Winner: Forrest. He's on a tear and Elvis hasn't had too many fights recently. Not to mention his sub .500 W/L record.

Chael Sonnen vs. Renato "Babalu" Sobral

Winner: Babalu. He's been called the most underrated LHW out there right now(Forrest said that)

Ron Faircloth vs. Alessio Sakara

Winner: Sakara. Faircloth will have a lot of trouble with Sakara's reach advantage.

Heavyweight Bouts
Keigo Kunihara vs. Marcia Cruz

Winner: Don't know either. I'll go with Kunihara.

Branden Lee Hinkle vs. Sean Gannon

Winner: Gannon

Middleweight Bouts
Dennis Hallman vs. Jorge Rivera

Winner: Hallman by tapout.

Joe Riggs vs. Pete Sell
Winner: Sell. For no other reason than I like the guy since he beat Phil Baroni. I also think he was robbed against Nate Quarry and I Really don't like Joe Riggs.

Scrapper
10/03/2005 4:50pm,
I only disagree with Riggs/Sell.

Riggs is a jerk and a moron of questionable technical skill, but he is the largest 185-er I have ever seen. If Sell lets him throw punches from guard, it'll be over.

Sell doesn't suck, though, so maybe he will pull it off.

_Mick_
10/03/2005 7:54pm,
Winners:
arlovski
forrest
babalu
sakara
cruz
hinkle
rivera
riggs

kind of a boring card. a lot of no name heavy weights. i am looking forward to seeing babalu back in the octagon though.
also, ian freeman v. forrest griffen would have been a great match. its too bad freeman got hurt. i guess sinosic isn't a bad replacement though.

Knightmare
10/03/2005 8:31pm,
Winners:
arlovski
forrest
babalu
sakara
cruz
hinkle
rivera
riggs

kind of a boring card. a lot of no name heavy weights. i am looking forward to seeing babalu back in the octagon though.
also, ian freeman v. forrest griffen would have been a great match. its too bad freeman got hurt. i guess sinosic isn't a bad replacement though.

This man is teh correct on his picks. Except for boring, alot of fights have alot of potential to be good.

ClintEQ
10/03/2005 9:25pm,
While some of these fights have the potential to be interesting, overall this is not a card that lvies up to the UFC's claim of being the "superbowl of MMA". Nothing wrong with giving a lot of new guys a shot, but this many on one card makes it feel like a ripoff for how much the yare charing now.

Official Fight Card

Heavyweight Championship

Winner: Arlovski by KO Rd 1. Kevin Jordan rocked Paul Buentello in their last fight. Arlovski will use superior athletecism and technical boxing to decapitate him.

Light Heavyweight Bouts
Forrest Griffin vs. Elvis Sinosic

Winner: Griffin. Sinosic is an inactive B-list fighter who is tricky on the ground but not very effective standing. Forrest will punish him standing, and if it hits the mat, he will at least hold his own, and use a big size advantage to do some damage.

Chael Sonnen vs. Renato "Babalu" Sobral

Winner: Sobral. The guy is on an incredible win streak and Sonnen isn't going to have the tools to beat him. Standing, he will get hurt, and even if he can get some takedowns, I just think Babalu is too slick for him on the ground.

Ron Faircloth vs. Alessio Sakara

Winner: Never seen either of these guys, but I have heard that Sakara is an animal, and at least on paper I think he will be too powerful and long for Faircloth.

Heavyweight Bouts

Winner: I just plain don't know either of these guys, no idea.

Branden Lee Hinkle vs. Sean Gannon
Winner: Not the viewers. Gannon doesn't deserve to be in the UFC, it's ridiculous that he is there. Hinkle seems to fight guys with losing records or 185lbers.

Winner: Gannon

Middleweight Bouts
Dennis Hallman vs. Jorge Rivera

Winner: Hallman by 1st round sub. Lee Murray triangle armbarred Rivera with ease, I think Superman could pull guard and do the same.

Joe Riggs vs. Pete Sell????
I have also seen Chris Lytle listed to fight Riggs instead of Sell, so I'm not 100% sure who it's going to be. I'm not sure how Riggs can get to 170, but he has expressed interest in it before. I think that Riggs wins either of these fights, he is just too big, will control the takedowns, and has brutal stand up as well as VICIOUS ground and pound. Sell was on his back a lot against Baroni, and I don't think he would survive for very long like that against Riggs. Lytle might be able to give him a run for his money standing, but I think Riggs would just take him down and finish it with elbows. If Doerkson can't fight you from his back, you are a bad mofo (Freak upckick from Ivan Salaverry not withstanding)

Maestro Nobones
10/04/2005 12:20am,
hey, sean gannon, didn't that guy fight kimbo?? :laughing6

Jaric
10/04/2005 8:50am,
I saw Andrei Arlovski fight last night on the preshow UFC stuff last night. Man that guy is scary. Anyone here think of anyone who could take him? What weight class is he? Heavy?

Phrost
10/04/2005 8:53am,
Gannon got in the UFC? Awesome. Much love for someone who'll step up to fight ANYONE.

Fighting Cephalopod
10/04/2005 11:49am,
Official Fight Card

Heavyweight Championship

Winner: Andrei. I just don't see Buentello being strong enough or fast enough to deal with Arlovski's strikes or takedown attempts.

Takedown attempts? What takedown attempts? When has Arlovski ever tried to take down anyone?

I'd favor Arlovski in this one, but Buentello definitely has a shot. Arlovski has been rocked every single time he's been hit by anyone. His speed and defensive skills have kept him from being hit in his last few fights, but Buentello has excellent accuracy and dangerous power. If he lands even one decent punch on Andrei this could be an upset.

Heavyweight Bouts

Winner: Don't know either. I'll go with Kunihara.

Marcia Cruz is better known as Pe De Pano, the well known and largely hated heavyweight BJJ phenom. While his no gi game isn't as good as his gi game, he's done well in ADCC several times. This is his MMA debut. Whether or not he'll adapt well to MMA remains to be seen, but Kunihara sucks ass, so I'll go with Cruz.

Strong Machine
10/04/2005 3:46pm,
Rivera is way too big for Hallman.

CaliKyle
10/04/2005 5:04pm,
Takedown attempts? What takedown attempts? When has Arlovski ever tried to take down anyone?

Hm, good point! But Arlovski is a 4x World Sambo Champion, so we know the guy can grapple. We also know he's fast and explosive, so a takedown would be pretty damn quick, if attempted. And what did he do to Tim Sylvia? :icon_wink

Jaguar Wong
10/04/2005 7:15pm,
Hm, good point! But Arlovski is a 4x World Sambo Champion, so we know the guy can grapple. We also know he's fast and explosive, so a takedown would be pretty damn quick, if attempted. And what did he do to Tim Sylvia? :icon_wink

He used a right cross as his "takedown" against Sylvia. Then he finished with the ankle lock once it hit the mat.

_Mick_
10/04/2005 7:53pm,
I saw Andrei Arlovski fight last night on the preshow UFC stuff last night. Man that guy is scary. Anyone here think of anyone who could take him? What weight class is he? Heavy?

are you serious?

ClintEQ
10/04/2005 8:03pm,
The Arlovski fight they showed that night was his debut against Aaron Brink, where he looked competent but not very great. He DID execute a takedown in that fight, finishing with an arm bar on the ground in 55 seconds.

If Arlovski isn't liking how the stand up is going, it's conceivable that he might try to take it to the ground, though he hasn't done that in the past. I'm not quite sure where the statement "Arlovski has been rocked every single time he's been hit by anyone." comes from. It makes it sound like he has been rocked a bunch of times in his career. The only one I can think of was his first fight against Crazy Man Datsik where he was knocked out by one punch. Against Rizzo, he was never rocked. People think he was KOed by that straight that ended the fight, but it's my understanding (and seemingly backed up the video) that his nose and possibly orbital were broken, and he was not knocked out. You can see him clutching his face after the bell, still completely concious. Arlovski has VICIOUS power, as displayed by his ability to drop Cabbage and Tim Sylvia. If he hits Buentello, it's going to be nights out. Similarly, if he takes a solid shot, he could be out too. At that point, it's just a question of who is the more technical striker, and who has better speed and cardio. I think all of that favors Arlovski. Also, in the clinch, I think Arlvoski has superior power that will allow him to muscle around "The Headhunter" and maybe explode with some dirty boxing.

I also had no idea Marcio Cruz was Pe De Pano, in that case, I pick him obviously. I've been looking forward to seeing him fight in the UFC, I had no idea it was happening so soon.

Knightmare
10/04/2005 8:49pm,
are you serious?

Actually Mick, he could mean Ultimate Knockouts as the preshow.

Yrkoon9
10/05/2005 11:20am,
Won't be watching it. The UFC is going in the wrong direction by cutting out places like Sherdog, FCFighter and other internet media outlets so it can cash in by cutting out the very supporters that took it through the PPV blackouts. I also don't like the new pricetag. So **** Dana.