PDA

View Full Version : Parkour

Pages : [1] 2

XVampireX
9/30/2005 2:20pm,
Hi, I don't really know where to post this, but since this is about physical training, I guess this is the right place.

I hope all of you know about Parkour, for those who don't go here:
http://www.parkour.com/
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/parkour/parkourenglish/

I'll try to make my questions as simple as possible:

How does one get to train it? How to train it? Is it legal in all countries?

I'm kinda clueless, but so far the only things that I've been doing (Seperately) are running and jumping on/off different "Obstacles".

Is it just that or is there any special method of training in this art?

Right now I'm trying to assemble a team that wants to do that. But not too many are interested in it, because some think it's dangerous and risky, I for one, think it's really fun.

Thanks.

Stick
9/30/2005 2:55pm,
Breakfalling, breakfalling, breakfalling.

Make sure you can break fall from every damn direction.

Gymnastics is good too.

Kengou
9/30/2005 3:00pm,
From what I've seen, mixing gymnastic training with running and endurance would probably work. Maybe you can set up a few practice obsticles for specific moves, like some vertical and horizontal bars. Or you can find something equivelant.

XVampireX
9/30/2005 3:09pm,
Hmm, gymnastics, means alot of different stuff like plyometrics and flexibility?

Breakfalls, that would require mats at first, or at least grass.

Judah Maccabee
9/30/2005 4:15pm,
There are parkour boards on livejournal, and there's a big one on an EZboard or something like that.

Dr. No
9/30/2005 4:47pm,
Parkour is like malaria, it needs a specific carrier organism to spread, in this case instead of Anopheles gambiae, liberal arts students with self woven-woollen beanies seem to be the first host . Must have something to do with not washing one's hair.

I hate hippies

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9/30/2005 5:17pm,
How does one get to train it?

Climb over walls. Balance on rails. Fly. Flying is especially important for parkour.

How to train it?

Go outside and start climbing over stuff.

Is it legal in all countries?

I assume, as long as you don't break any other laws like trespassing.

First and foremost, learn how to land. Jumping off your roof is just going to **** you in the ass if you don't know what to do when you land.

Feryk
9/30/2005 6:12pm,
Get on a Parkour board and ASK them.

If there isn't something near you, then travel to where it is and learn from those guys for a few days. Should be enough to get you going.

Parkour looks very cool. I believe it can only be done by midgets with wiry strength and a stringbean like physique however.

73h r341 h3x
7/12/2009 7:23am,
heya i do parkour, i recommend just going on youtube n checking out the basic techniques and practicing them dilligently on a ground level for a year or so then progress to higher, more dangerous obstacles if you're prepared for it :) learning how to land and roll is paramount so that should definetly be a priority...

8bit
7/12/2009 8:07am,
There is a lot of specialized conditioning for it. Go peruse youtube user UrbanCurrent for some excellent examples. The general idea is to condition the body and find the most efficient ways of negotiating obstacles. This includes an emphasis on landing softly to protect the joints.

As always, its best to have a well qualified instructor. Try getting in touch with nearby parkour groups (even if they're in a different country if necessary) and ask them for help - it usually has a fairly open and friendly culture with people who are eager to help.

73h r341 h3x
7/12/2009 10:06am,
yep, what he said :)

chiangmaiwolf
7/18/2009 2:50am,
It originated with French soldiers in Vietnam and there are people who practice it here in Thailand. I have tried some of the training exercises following experiences where I had to escape quickly from flood and forest fire and was looking to find ways to move quickly past obstacles. You can find websites which will teach exercises and it is not illegal but better to do in groups as otherwise in city it looks like you are running from the cops.

simonifrius
7/18/2009 10:47am,
The biggest problem most people think there is when wanting to train parkour, is that they don't have anyplace that's good for it. But really, parkour is just the ability to move efficiently through an environment. You can train with trees, rocks, tables, benches, stairs, playgrounds, open fields, whatever. I do a lot of my training inside my house.

The two things you need to start with training are rolling and quadrupedal movement, which is crawling without letting your knees touch the floor (moving like an animal. Try walking, galloping, rabbit hopping, etc. When you get comfy with it, do it on some stairs to build technique). Try different ways to get over a fence. The two most important exercises you'll do are running and pullups. Build your jumps.

Also, don't try to imitate the videos you'll see. Basically, a lot of those guys are beyond the skill level that most hobbyists will reach.

Also, in the PK community, there's a difference between parkour and freerunning. Parkour is built around efficiently moving past obstacles. Freerunning is more about just having fun, and includes tricks, flips, and otherwise showing off. So there's a difference in how to go about it, but that might be a bit down the road for you.

For tutorials, go here:
http://www.americanparkour.com/content/category/4/60/377/
http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/3972
They also have a workout of the day that they can automatically send you. But take some time and read some of the other articles on there too.

simonifrius
7/18/2009 10:50am,
Just found this.
http://www.parkour.co.il/
You might want to see if you can hook up with these guys. Most folks are willing to help noobs.

philmgriffin
7/18/2009 5:32pm,
My daughter is attending a gymnastics class that has just taken on a facility in Walsall, West Midlands. would a training area with blocks, A bars, and High bar be of use to freerunners or Parkour practitioners? The club she is going to needs extra funding so if they could get a bunch of teenagers who wanted to pratice basics without risking splitting there faces open then maybe they could help support the club.
Just a though, if this is missplaced I'll find a dedicated forum.
Also would any martial artist like the opportunity to practice on a sprung floor? would be quite good for wushu or other acrobatic arts

D.J. THE B.A.
7/18/2009 7:37pm,
Ive been russian climbing aka free running for for 5 years and the way i train is by just going to places with large ledges,some school parks are good or if you have one near you, a multi level parking area! But mainly you can do it any where!