PDA

View Full Version : BJJ in Melbourne

Pages : [1] 2

Sidkop
9/30/2005 5:20am,
Howdy,

Does anyone have any recommedations/stories of BJJ classes in the Melbourne,Australia area? There is a Gracie-Barra place in Resevoir that is near me, that appears to be affiliated to Peter De Been, but I can't find much info about it?

Also, is there much difference in training styles between GJJ and BJJ

Cheers

NSLightsOut
9/30/2005 9:16am,
The class in Reservoir is run by a very good blue belt (I train with Murat down at Peter de Been's in St Kilda).

From what he told me the last time I spoke to him, the class is small, but growing at the moment, as he only set it up last year. I haven't been down there, so I have no idea of facilities. I'd advise you to check it out and take a couple of classes.

GJJ and BJJ are just names that basically equate to the same thing, due to a few legal disputes in the US over copyright.

Sidkop
9/30/2005 11:38pm,
thanks

Lothene
10/01/2005 12:08am,
It might be too far from where you live if Resevoir is near by, but I've started here:

www.dominance.com.au

Neurotic
10/03/2005 1:03am,
Yeah - ditto on the if you live in reservoir - but, I've been training here for a while:

http://www.extremejjg.com/

And the website's just been updated with new bits and bobs.

lifetime
10/03/2005 2:04am,
Melbourne University has a good BJJ club affiliated with Gracie Barra. They're friendly, rates are good for members and generally quite solid. Class is usually taught by a purple belt. Check it out if you're a uni student.

NSLightsOut
10/03/2005 8:36am,
Melbourne University has a good BJJ club affiliated with Gracie Barra. They're friendly, rates are good for members and generally quite solid. Class is usually taught by a purple belt. Check it out if you're a uni student.

Out of curiosity, do you train there?

roly
10/03/2005 5:34pm,
it might be worthwhile to pm "johnny s"

he is doing the bjj stuff with pics in the "techniques & gear" section

Sidkop
10/03/2005 6:38pm,
Thanks for all of this. I may go pay a vist to Resevoir (it's def closest) and Dominance (it's further away - but might be worth it)

Hopefully it'll be an easier decision after going to see them

JohnnyS
10/03/2005 8:45pm,
I train and teach at Dominance. We've got four brown belts, plus myself (a black belt) with John Will (3rd degree Black Belt) teaching every 3 or 4 weeks, so in terms of quality instruction and training partners I think Dominance is clearly the best in Melbourne.

Hannibal
10/03/2005 9:13pm,
Yeah I think so too.

But Johhny S if I'm not mistaken your place is in Richmond ? If memory serves me correct its about 25-30 minutes from the centre of Melbourne city. So I guess it all depends on where you are living and how much money you have to spend on training.

JohnnyS
10/03/2005 9:24pm,
Richmond is only 5 minutes drive from the CBD and you can catch the 75 tram straight to the club. Reservoir is to the north of the city near where I live, but it only takes about 25 minutes drive from there to Richmond even during peak hour traffic.

Hannibal
10/03/2005 9:33pm,
My mistake. I was thinking of the wrong suburb. But just out of curiosity what fees does your MMA gym have. Martial arts tend to be quite expensive here in Sydney. MMA gyms charge like a wounded bull. I'd be interested to know how much cheaper it is training in Melbourne.

JohnnyS
10/03/2005 9:54pm,
I'm not certain, but I think it's around $100 a month for all classes i.e. BJJ, kickboxing and MMA.

Hannibal
10/03/2005 9:56pm,
$100 per month is not too bad for a MMA gym. Its about the same here in Sydney.

JohnnyS
10/03/2005 10:12pm,
It's around $80 per month for just one style i.e. BJJ or MMA or Kickboxing.