PDA

View Full Version : MMA comp rules.

Pages : [1] 2

SamuraiJack
9/29/2005 10:12pm,
I've noticed that a lot of the MMA comp rules effectively take out all the real options for people who mainly box to take on people who mainly wrestle.

Like no knees to the face.

That's one of the easiest ways to take someone out who's trying to go for the shoot. I can understand why these rules are there, but it does seem to favour the grapplers.

Your thoughts.

Torakaka
9/29/2005 10:24pm,
my thoughts are that you're making another crappy thread. Try using the search function once in a while

JohnnyCache
9/29/2005 11:26pm,
The rules allow boxing. The rules allow wrestling - so how do the rules favor wrestling over boxing?

Neurotic
9/29/2005 11:50pm,
The local amateur comps I've been to here allow for knees to the face... and I've seen grappeling guys win...

But to knee a shooting guy in the face you need timing and positioning - it's not a win all tool :/

If you screw it up, he's just going to smother your leg, and then you're on one leg while he picks you up and dumps you on your head...

thomaspaine
9/30/2005 1:07am,
I'm guessing you didn't see the last UFC which featured a pretty gruesome knockout by way of flying knee to the face when the guy shot in for a takedown. UFC doesn't allow knees to the head of a grounded opponent, but you can certainly knee to the head when standing. Pride allows both, so I have no idea what you're talking about. Get your facts straight.

Also, I'll just mention that you're a lot better off sprawling and then throwing knees, rather than throwing the one knee and praying it connects, because chances are it won't and you're going to the mat.

JKDChick
9/30/2005 1:28am,
Yeah, that knee to the face was a) Perfectly executed with god-like timing that was probably by pure accident and b) a FLYING knee, which changes the point of contact of the knee significantly.

But now I KNOW he's trolling. "Knee the guy in the head when he shoots"?

SamuraiJack
9/30/2005 3:11am,
The rules allow boxing. The rules allow wrestling - so how do the rules favor wrestling over boxing?

By boxing I mean it in the chinese sense. Boxing=hitting.

SamuraiJack
9/30/2005 3:12am,
The local amateur comps I've been to here allow for knees to the face... and I've seen grappeling guys win...

But to knee a shooting guy in the face you need timing and positioning - it's not a win all tool :/

If you screw it up, he's just going to smother your leg, and then you're on one leg while he picks you up and dumps you on your head...

Well sure. Then you put the other leg back and elbow the crap out of his neck. That **** hurts.

SamuraiJack
9/30/2005 3:15am,
Right. Given the amount of retardation in other threads I might as well post this.

This thread is about "Do you think the rules in MMA favour grapplers?" Because from my view, rules like no knees to the head, no elbows to the neck, no kicking when YOU are lying prone, things like that definitely favour grapplers. Of course, I can understand why they are there as well. No I am not up on current MMA rules. Which is why I'm asking the question.

The end. No it's not a troll. Yes you are an idiot. The end.

Torakaka
9/30/2005 3:21am,
Right. Given the amount of retardation in other threads I might as well post this.

This thread is about "Do you think the rules in MMA favour grapplers?" Because from my view, rules like no knees to the head, no elbows to the neck, no kicking when YOU are lying prone, things like that definitely favour grapplers. Of course, I can understand why they are there as well. No I am not up on current MMA rules. Which is why I'm asking the question.

Well it's amazing how strikers like Chuck Lidell and Mirko Crocop manage to do so well in MMA...

Dude, no, MMA rules do not favor grappling. MMA originally had these rules: no biting, no eye gouging. The additional rules added later were NOT a choice by the people running the MMA organizations, but rather were forced upon the UFC by local state authorities to make the events legal. Most of the banned techniques were banned because they look scary or icky or make the fighters look like idiots, none of it has to do with favoring grappling over striking.

JohnnyCache
9/30/2005 3:29am,

You don't seem to understand the rules of MMA very well. Not all "MMA" events have the same rules, either.

Explain which of the rules you discuss above apply in which fighting arenas, because I don't believe ANY of those rules are uniform to MMA as a sport. Do you watch and do MMA, or did someone (maybe someone in your dojo) TELL you those things were banned and that's why style X doesn't do well in MMA?

In serious response to your question, the only rule I can think of that REALLY could be construed to favor grapplers is I believe some promotions (I'm thinking pride here, someone correct me) have a rule that you can't kick a guy while you are standing and both of his knees are on the ground, but an argument could be made that this is for the safety of the shooting fighter...since at that point the standing fighter should be able to foil a shoot by backing out.

Cassius
9/30/2005 3:33am,
YAY I'M SAMURAIJACK AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE **** I'M TALKING ABOUT! I SHOULD DEFINITELY MAKE LOTS OF THREADS BECAUSE THAT WILL INCREASE MY UNDERSTANDING OF MMA, BJJ, AND ALL THINGS I DO NOT LIKE BECAUSE THEY ARE FOREIGN TO ME! GOING TO THE GROUND IS GAY! I HAVE APA STYLE CITATIONS, PH34R ME!

Torakaka
9/30/2005 3:46am,
YAY I'M SAMURAIJACK AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE **** I'M TALKING ABOUT! I SHOULD DEFINITELY MAKE LOTS OF THREADS BECAUSE THAT WILL INCREASE MY UNDERSTANDING OF MMA, BJJ, AND ALL THINGS I DO NOT LIKE BECAUSE THEY ARE FOREIGN TO ME! GOING TO THE GROUND IS GAY! I HAVE APA STYLE CITATIONS, PH34R ME!

I disagree with your method, garbanzobean :new_all_c

Cassius
9/30/2005 3:53am,
I disagree with your method, garbanzobean :new_all_cDon't tell me you are one of those MLA citations pieces of ****.

bad credit
9/30/2005 5:15am,
Well, when I did TKD in high school I was at least smart enough to crosstrain in everything else I could. I sparred with a bunch of wrestlers, and I easily stopped shoots (double legs) with a knee stopped an inch in front of the face. Once I had to knee the groin on a high shoot, and a couple of times I stopped 'em cold with a lead snap roundhouse pulled short of the nose. I didn't even have to touch them to make them stop in thier tracks.

Now, that being said, years later, after having spent time in several other, more realistic arts, I competed in a amateur MMA event. One of the rules was that we couldn't knee or elbow the head. It wouldn't've mattered anyways. That guy kept trying to kick me in the legs, and I kept punching him in the head. Everytime I threw a punch, he shot under and hip threw me. Even if I coulda kneed, there's no way I had the time or the angle. After three rounds of me owning him standing, and me laying and praying in submissions he had on the ground, I got a draw.

What I'm trying to say is that I used to be really damn good at the knee to face or head against a shoot, but it's not useful every time. Have another move in backup. Now I just guillotine a guy if he shoots. If his head is tucked well enough I can't, I go into guard immeaditely. There are inhumanly fast shooters out there. A lot of them will beat the knee. It's not a be-all end-all move. It's just an option, and against a fast shooter, not a good one.

Shuma-Gorath
9/30/2005 7:20am,
By boxing I mean it in the chinese sense. Boxing=hitting.
YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE USED MY TAG, FOOLISH MORTAL. NOW YOU HAVE SUMMONED ME TO YET ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR SHITTY THREADS, AND FOR THAT I AM EXTREMELY "PIZDOFF", EXCEPT WITH BETTER SKIN

ANYWAY, I'M GLAD TO SEE THAT YOU GET YOUR MARTIAL ARTS TERMINOLOGY FROM THE ENGLISH DUBBING OF RETURN OF THE DRAGON. BUT THE SIMPLE FACT IS THAT MOST MIXED MARTIAL ARTS ATHLETES, BEING MERE FRAIL HUMANS, DON'T GET PAID ENOUGH MONEY TO ALLOW THINGS LIKE SOCCER KICKS AND COCKROACHING. THAT IS ONLY IN THE WONDERFULLY BLOOD-LUSTED NATION OF JAPAN <3

HOWEVER, YOU THINK THE KNEE TO THE FACE IS A HIGH-PERCENTAGE COUNTER TO THE SHOOT, WHEN IN FACT ITS RARITY ENSURES THAT THE FEW TIMES IT DOES HAPPEN MAKES IT A MOMENTOUS EVENT. SO, WE ALREADY KNOW YOU CANNOT COMPREHEND THE AWESOME SCIENCE GRAPPLING, AND WITH THIS NUMBER OF TERRIBLE THREADS YOU ALSO SUCK AT UNDERSTANDING THE INFINITE POWER OF THE INTERNETS. BUT I WILL IMPART THIS NUGGET OF WISDOM TO YOUR TINY HUMAN BRAIN:

"CHINESE BOXERS", OR AS THEY ARE KNOWN BY THEIR TRUE DAEMON NAME, "WING CHUN FAGZ LOL" WILL NEVER KNEE A GRAPPLER IN THE FACE AS HE SHOOTS FOR A TAKEDOWN SINCE NOT ONLY ARE THEY TOTALLY IGNORANT OF WHAT A REAL WRESTLING SHOOT LOOKS LIKE, BUT IF THEIR BRAINS ARE NOT SPLATTERED ON THIS MYTHICAL STREET BY THE IMPACT OF THE SUBSEQUENT SLAM THEN IT IS POSSIBLE THEIR HEADS WILL SIMPLY EXPLODE OUT OF FAILURE TO COMPREHEND WHAT HAS JUST HAPPENED TO THEM (I.E. GRAPPLING)