PDA

View Full Version : cresent and side kicks

Pages : [1] 2

TKD GOD
9/28/2005 10:58am,
is there a way to increase the power of cresent and side kicks, or is it just the case of keep kicking?

Luan
9/28/2005 11:06am,
Leg presses, squats, eat right, and kick the heavybag over and over and over?

Stick
9/28/2005 11:08am,
Luan has shown you the only path to victory.

Also, don't go crazy trying to make your crescents skull crushing blows, fucking up on a crescent while hitting a heavy bag is a good way to destroy your knee.

Side kick though, yeah, make that fucker your cannon.

Dr._Tzun_Tzu
9/28/2005 11:21am,
Do your Siu Nim Tau form standing on one leg, holding the other leg out level with your waist. This builds really strong balance, which in turn makes kicks more powerful.

pox
9/28/2005 11:49am,
Do your Siu Nim Tau form standing on one leg, holding the other leg out level with your waist. This builds really strong balance, which in turn makes kicks more powerful.

Oh please

There's an argument to be made that standing on one foot and extending the other leg can increase the power of front kicks. Tucking the hips slightly forward makes it easier to hold the leg out, and if this move is incorporated into the kicking technique the kicks will have more weight behind them.

TKD GOD - Practice the kicks on heavy bags a lot. And make sure your getting your hips into the kicks and your not just using your leg when you kick.

FredGarvinMP
9/28/2005 12:20pm,
FWIW, I see a lot of people that extend their leg too soon on crescent kicks. It slows your leg down and takes your hips out of the kick. You can't generate speed or power with a stif leg. I am always working on keeping my leg tucked until the last possible moment and then extending as my hips come through. Get the knee up, get the hips really moving first.

Side kick though, yeah, make that fucker your cannon.
Well said. I like that.

Do your Siu Nim Tau form standing on one leg, holding the other leg out level with your waist.
This sounds like a passive strength exercise. While I agree that they are helpful for kicks, I have a tough time directly relating increased power to them.

Dr._Tzun_Tzu
9/28/2005 12:45pm,
Its just a balance thing, it works the minor balance muscles in the standing leg. The power muscles are an obvious training goal. The balance muscles help stabilize the whole kicker, so all the power can be applyied.

Kicking solid dummys is another related exercise. Forces you to get your root, or your own kick moves you backwards.

Stick
9/28/2005 2:10pm,
Solid like a tree? Cause ya know, people move.

Dr._Tzun_Tzu
9/28/2005 2:13pm,
Well, thats what hanging bags are for, and ofcoarse kicking people.

But if someone is chargeing into you fast, they are not gonna move away. It is just one of many energy vectors to work on.

Stick
9/28/2005 2:15pm,
Yes but if someone is charging you they aren't anymore a tree than if they weren't charging you.

Get your bag swinging if you want to simulate hitting an incoming opponent.

As someone who spent a summer actually striking a tree- and killing it I might add, which pissed my grandmother off- I don't see the benefits and would have to say the practice of striking solid standing targets is bad for your joints, tendons, muscles, everything. Even a 300lbs man running full tilt is going to have give.

Personally, I'd never side kick someone who's just charging on full bore, if you screw up and he slips that kick you are only going to be flying that much farther away and in that much more pain when he hits you.

lawdog
9/28/2005 2:28pm,
As someone who spent a summer actually striking a tree- and killing it I might add, which pissed my grandmother off-
Now that's classic!

So, I guess one could conclude that you aren't exactly a "tree hugger". :laughing4

Stick
9/28/2005 2:32pm,
Nope, it wasn't some dramatic breaking of the tree kind of thing; I am not Van Damme.

I just knocked all the bark off of the tree all the way around it from about my thigh to my head height. None of the nutrients from the roots could travel up the tree and it just wilted and died.

I felt like a jackass, but even then I harbor no particular love for trees. It's just I'd ruined a part of my grandmothers yard is all.

Dr._Tzun_Tzu
9/28/2005 2:36pm,
Yes, kicking trees will piss off Grandma. I agree that kicking them too hard is gonna damage your joints and swinging the bag back at you is yet another good drill.

Power comes from being able to redirect the rebound into the floor. A Powerful kick will send an equally powerful rebound back into you. One leg standing drills and pushing off against solid objects helps you develope the balance needed to control this rebound vector. It should be a big part of WC training as well.

A wooden dummy is a much better tool than a Tree, but most people do not have access to one. I like to kick the steel poles at the pump corners at the gas station when my tank is filling up.

Stick
9/28/2005 2:42pm,
One thing we do in TKD to get power on any push kick is to work with a partner.

Bring your side kick or push kick chamber up, have your partner hold your foot firm against his stomach or solar plexus, what have, and have him assume a deep forebalance/kicking stance. You then push your partner back by extending your kick. Basically doing a leg press but actually utilizing your proper kicking technique as you do so.

Depending on your partner this can be very, very difficult.

I do not recommend kicking steel posts while filling up your car..... in public.

Dr._Tzun_Tzu
9/28/2005 3:38pm,
I do not recommend kicking steel posts while filling up your car..... in public.

Good advice....I do it kinda mellow, just more for the push and balance work. Looks more like a stretch to most people I would think.

Kengou
9/29/2005 4:36pm,
"Personally, I'd never side kick someone who's just charging on full bore, if you screw up and he slips that kick you are only going to be flying that much farther away and in that much more pain when he hits you."

The defensive sidekick is actually one of my principle intercepting/counterattacking weapons. But that's just me. Granted, in an MMA-style fight, if you screwed it up they'd be all over you, but in kickboxing or TKD-style sparring it works out very well if you are accurate. It has the same effect as a teep but with more power, and if you turn your foot more downward so you strike with the heel instead of the sole of the foot, it can have more impact than a push if that's your intent.

"Side kick though, yeah, make that fucker your cannon."
Beautiful. Words to live by.