PDA

View Full Version : To the instructors or school owners

Miguksaram
9/27/2005 7:05am,
We received an email the other day from some guy in India. The email simply states that he is an instructor at a karate school in India and wishes to train at our school. Have any of you seen this type of email? Is it equivalent of the "you long lost relative in Africa died and left you a gagillion dollars"? Perhaps a tourist card scam?

El-Wood
9/27/2005 7:23am,
depends on whether he tries to get you to send him money or sponsor him for a visa...

Grashnak
9/27/2005 7:31am,
depends on whether he tries to get you to send him money or sponsor him for a visa...

My bet is on the visa scam. I used to be a diplomat and when I was posted in Algeria I had some responsibility for the Visa section and you would not believe the scams people will pull to get a visitor visa...

Unless your school is somehow world famous and regularly attracts foreign students, you can probably bet that he pulled your email of the internet, like the other 100 schools he sent the email to.

MaverickZ
9/27/2005 8:24am,
We received an email the other day from some guy in India. The email simply states that he is an instructor at a karate school in India and wishes to train at our school. Have any of you seen this type of email? Is it equivalent of the "you long lost relative in Africa died and left you a gagillion dollars"? Perhaps a tourist card scam?

my instructor got something like that once from a guy in brazil. but that was more like "I"m so and so, i want to represent your system. give me a certificate."

Miguksaram
9/27/2005 8:36am,
My bet is on the visa scam. I used to be a diplomat and when I was posted in Algeria I had some responsibility for the Visa section and you would not believe the scams people will pull to get a visitor visa...

Unless your school is somehow world famous and regularly attracts foreign students, you can probably bet that he pulled your email of the internet, like the other 100 schools he sent the email to.

Well, actually we do get requests from legit people to train at are school however, they are mostly from European countries. When they contact us they tell us how they were referred and what their goals are etc. I am going with a visa scam on this one. I just wanted to get a feel if more people got them to verify my hunch. Thanks.

Tourettes
9/27/2005 10:13am,
You could have some fun and play him. A writer for Slate did that to one of the scammers who does the "Kindest Sir, My name is [whatever] and I work at the Central Bank of [wherever]. I have over 25 million US funds in an receently discovered account and I need your help..." - went on for a few weeks and was really funny.

Miguksaram
9/27/2005 10:36am,
You could have some fun and play him. A writer for Slate did that to one of the scammers who does the "Kindest Sir, My name is [whatever] and I work at the Central Bank of [wherever]. I have over 25 million US funds in an receently discovered account and I need your help..." - went on for a few weeks and was really funny.

I saw that one. The guy had the scammer send pictures of himself holding up signs. Quite amusing. I went ahead and asked about this guys credentials: What style, what rank, why us out of a gagillion TKD places in America, that type of stuff. We will see.
Now it's dancing ninja time=> :ninjadanc

dramaboy
9/27/2005 10:41am,
He may be moving to your area and looking for a school.
We have people like that at our club. They come to JHU or UMD and want to work out so they find us on the web and drop us a line.
Unless he's asking for money I don't think it's a scam.

Tomas

Tourettes
9/27/2005 11:32am,
I'd go with some sort of scam or they want to be able to claim to be part of a "world-wide" network/affiliation for marketing reasons - I've seen this happen before.

Yrkoon9
9/27/2005 11:46am,
Maybe he just wants to train. Everywhere I have ever been people are always sending emails and trying to find class schedules so that they can train and get private lessons.

Tourettes
9/27/2005 12:19pm,
Maybe he just wants to train. Everywhere I have ever been people are always sending emails and trying to find class schedules so that they can train and get private lessons.

In my experience, they'll usually ask specifically about practice schedules, etc immediately if they really want to train. Also, if they're coming in from abroad, many will also give their schedules/itineraries.

Miguksaram
9/27/2005 1:52pm,
In my experience, they'll usually ask specifically about practice schedules, etc immediately if they really want to train. Also, if they're coming in from abroad, many will also give their schedules/itineraries.

Here is the actual email.

I am black belt in karate and working as karate
instructor in National Combat Institute of India, I
want to improve my abilities please tell me about how
can i come to your institute for training

You see he is very vaugue about how he heard about us, what he does and why he wants to learn from our school. So I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and asking him for more information. Depending on the reply I receive will determine if I pursue it or find some sort of a way to have fun with it.

El-Wood
9/28/2005 6:45am,
I actually have a fake e-mail address I use to play with these idiots.

http://www.419eater.com/