PDA

View Full Version : Bullshido? Maybe, maybe not...you decide!

stonedragon1027
9/26/2005 9:05pm,
Ok....my nephew just got into martial arts....he has this nuts goal of learning every martial arts style known to man. (I told him its nto possiblle...im not mean, just realistic) Now....he needed a place to start, right? So he talked to me, as I have Shotokan experience, Aikido experience, and am learning Isshin Ryu. He wanted to start where I started, karate. There are three karate places nearby. We went to one, which was Shotokan and CLEARLY a McDojo. There was the one I go to, which doesnt accept kids. And then theres This one: http://www.newpaltzkarate.com/ which is a half hour away from his house (a bit longer from mine) so his parents are taking him there. I stopped by before they went there to check it out, make sure it wasnt a McDojo...it seemed normal (well...cept for one untraditional move) but then I saw the website I couldnt see if there were any under 15 blackbelts (I do know of a 17 year old one, thats the youngest I know of) but that Halloween day thing freaked me out. Luckily, hes 12, so hed be witht he teens..but I still wanna know, do ya think this is a McDojo?

TehDeadlyDimMak
9/26/2005 9:17pm,
I can't really tell at first glance from the site if its a mcdojo or not. You should visit and and ask about their sparring, class length, and prices etc.

Also, that school is FREAKIN HUGE!

stonedragon1027
9/26/2005 9:21pm,
Not that big actually...I visited, thats prolyl somewhere esle, its really quite tiny....and if youre talkign about the size of people, nah, its split up into three classes

Riblet
9/26/2005 9:24pm,
Bullshido? Maybe, maybe not...you decide!

NO! YOU DECIDE!! And then let us know, I realize im new here and have no rep or anything. but I've been reading posts on here for over a year now and I'm personally gettin tired of all these posts with headlines similar to this. There are enough posts on this board, that if you took some time to actually read them you would know how to tell if it was bullshido or not. Sorry, maybe I'm just in a bad mood right now, but still.

Kengou
9/26/2005 9:32pm,
no, Riblet, I agree. How are we gunna know? Go there and ask if they spar, if they teach grappling (or t3h dreaded anti-gr4pple!), etc.

Cassius
9/26/2005 11:10pm,
Bullshido? Maybe, maybe not...you decide!

NO! YOU DECIDE!! And then let us know, I realize im new here and have no rep or anything. but I've been reading posts on here for over a year now and I'm personally gettin tired of all these posts with headlines similar to this. There are enough posts on this board, that if you took some time to actually read them you would know how to tell if it was bullshido or not. Sorry, maybe I'm just in a bad mood right now, but still.
Good answer. + rep to Riblet.