PDA

View Full Version : Iron Fist

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Torakaka
9/19/2005 3:52am,
So tonight in one of the martial arts groups on myspace I bumped into a thread about Marco Ruas fighting Pan Qing Fu (aka Iron Fist). What struck me was this post:

"Iron Fist is legendary for apprehending the leaders of the Chinese Triads... bare handed... back in the 60's... he's also known for his legendary Iron Fist (he punches a 1000 lb slab of steel 1000 times a day with each hand... he shatters anything softer)... He would have been pulling his punches in a friendly match, without a doubt... not taking away from Ruas' victory, but I think in an actual fight, Iron Fist would probably have won."

So after a little google searching I found a kungfu magazine article written about him saying he trained Lang Ronybiao, winner of some sort of competition in 1995

http://www.sports123.com/wus/mw-guns.html

(I'm guessing this was a forms comp?)

and that he supposedly trained people in the China's special forces. Nothing really concrete, however, about his personal fighting ability (or his ability to train fighters). Anyway here's that article:

http://www.martialarm.com/martial-arts-articles/2005/kung_fu_news_40.html

I could be very mistaken but this guy reeks of bullshido and I'm wondering if people know much about him. I did a search and couldn't really find any threads on him, but feel free to call me a stupid n00b if he's already been talked about into the ground.

Bang!
9/19/2005 4:02am,
I first heard about this guy through the book, Iron and Silk, which is a sort of biography, detailing some American dude's experiences living and studying martial arts in China. One of the passages that I found interesting was one describing how, even as a student, Pan ws a serious ************. Apparently, there was some sort of bet as to how many spear thrusts a person could make consecutively. The two other guys topped a hundred. Pan went well over a thousand, essentially rubbing his hand so raw that you could see bone.

Does that make him a fighter? No. Does it make him a bit of a badass nutcase? Well, yes. Yes it does.

He also appeared in some really terrible locally produced chop sockey flicks.

If he actually fought Ruas, that's kind of neat, because Pan is probably pushing 60 now.

Torakaka
9/19/2005 4:08am,
The fight supposedly took place in 1980

Bang!
9/19/2005 4:10am,
How old is Ruas?

Torakaka
9/19/2005 5:06am,
he seems to be in his 40's, Im not really sure how old he is

Omar
9/19/2005 6:24am,
Well.....I don't think losing to Ruas is exactly shamefull or embarrassing.

That post from the other forum is kind of dumb but the basic point remains:

He got his ass beat my MARCO RUAS.

Just a quick poll: How many here think they or even their teacher could beat Ruas? I know that there are actually a few people here who's teachers stand a chance. But probably only a couple.

Torakaka
9/19/2005 9:42am,
oh yeah, I definitely wasn't questioning him based on getting beat up by ruas. I was questioning him based on the fact that 1. people seem to think he's more or less invincible god like superman, and 2. his accomplishments seem to be based on forms. Again, I could be wrong about this guy. Perhaps he's like Mas Oyama, a legitimately badass guy with a bit of bullshido fairy tails surrounding him.

Ronin
9/19/2005 9:45am,
Is this the Pan dude with the deformed hands?

Cassius
9/19/2005 10:16am,
Is this the Pan dude with the deformed hands?
Yessir.

PassiveFist
9/19/2005 10:22am,
yeah

http://web.archive.org/web/20040608093939/http://grandmasterpan.com/

Omar
9/19/2005 10:29am,
Perhaps he's like Mas Oyama, a legitimately badass guy with a bit of bullshido fairy tails surrounding him.

That's about where I'd put him except that Mas Oyama would cream Ruas. :qright3:

I think Pan is probably a bit over rated but definately not bullshido. Don't get thrown off by the forms thing. In China....that's what you do. All the old school guys had 2 choices.

1. Go completely underground and just teach in private.

2. Teach forms and work the circuit.

There is currently a new generation of Sanda coaches that just came out of the university system and don't necessarily have traditional backgrounds but that's pretty recent. You also will be hard pressed to overestimate the importance that the Chinese old timers place on the ability to perform a form. NOT necessarily doing lots of forms or even giving them a central place in trianing but they are a pretty standard method of transmitting the art. There are a few rebels here and there, I can name a couple even. But even they tend to teach at least a couple forms and can do them. The thing is, the forms they teach are radically different from the standardized versions.

I also know of a few serious fighters who ended up working in the university system later in life. That doesn't mean that they weren't out there working for the CCP "gestapo" back in the day. It's just the nature of the industry in China.

On a side note, I expect old master Pan would have skewered Ruas if they dueled with spears. . . not that it's really relevant.

Bang!
9/19/2005 10:40am,
On a side note, I expect old master Pan would have skewered Ruas if they dueled with spears. . . not that it's really relevant.Or if they were both wearing medieval arnour.

Ronin
9/19/2005 11:01am,
Yessir.

Ruas probably beat him by stompin on his hands.

Omar
9/19/2005 5:39pm,
I'
Or if they were both wearing medieval arnour.

lol

Thaiboxerken
9/19/2005 5:56pm,
Ahh, the ol'. "if they fought to the death" excuse. Pan's Iron Fists are too deadly for full contact use.

TehDeadlyDimMak
9/19/2005 6:46pm,
He shatters anything less than an 1000 lb iron plate. That's some claim there...