PDA

View Full Version : Bujinkan insider; Funny story.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Virus
9/15/2005 7:42pm,
Was training with this guy while my original instructor was away from teaching. One day we decided to do some randori. Some BJK dojos do this. (at least in my part of the world.) The exercise involved the two participants sitting back to back, then when the instructor says "go" both opponents turn and wrestle on the ground untill one person taps out or is pinned and unable to escape. The funny thing is, we never learnt any groundfighting so we all ended up just using schoolboy wrestling with no form, all muscle and strength and no technique.

Now the funny part;

The instructor has a go himself and he picks this really big, heavy set guy for his opponent. They wrestle around a bit and the big guy ends up getting a submission. (I can't remember what he used.) Instructor then decides to go for it again with the same guy. They wrestle around a bit for a while, then instructor says "stop". They stop and he says "did you see that?" big guy says "no" and sensei demonstrates by placing a hand on each side of big guy's head and twisting. "I had a neck break just then". He'd lost to his own student, in front of the whole class so he had to make up some neck-break (which wouldn't work in reality anyway) to "win" and save face.

Props to the dude for trying to incorperate some aliveness into training; but standup judo style randori would have been more appropriate as no one was taught or knew any groundwork.

Addition: This guy once wrote a letter to Hatsumi and asked my sensei to translate it to Japanese. My sensei read and refused to have anything to do with it. The letter was a bitch fit about various BJK dojos in the area and his suggestion to Hatumi to kick them out of the Bujinkan. He ended up getting it translated elsewhere and sent it to Japan. When Hatsumi recieved it, he held it up in class one day at the Hombu and said "This is the sort of person we don't want in the Bujinkan."

patfromlogan
9/15/2005 7:50pm,
That's sad... I'd look for a teacher who has a smaller ego problem.

Virus
9/15/2005 7:55pm,
It's OK, I left that guy ages ago when my original sensei came back.

patfromlogan
9/15/2005 8:01pm,
Oh, I see. I've seen a lot of that kind of insecure ****. In Kajukenbo they'd say, "Diamond cuts diamond," meaning every dog has his day and they kept the attitude that loosing matches wasn't a big deal. Much healthier. My instructor now doesn't like getting hit much, but he grins and takes it and says, "Good one!"

EternalRage
9/15/2005 8:24pm,
I hope your original instructor beat the **** out of that retard when he came back...

TehDeadlyDimMak
9/15/2005 9:42pm,
At least schoolboy wrestling is a good work out. :)

Virus
9/15/2005 9:50pm,
I hope your original instructor beat the **** out of that retard when he came back...

He could if he wanted to. He was his original teacher.

Yrkoon9
9/15/2005 11:23pm,
Awesomeness.

Poop Loops
9/15/2005 11:49pm,
He could if he wanted to. He was his original teacher.

Have you ever actually seen your instructor fight?

PL

Lane
9/16/2005 12:25am,
Wow, that guy is a bitch. I say you RNC him and shout "where is your neck break now?"

Virus
9/16/2005 6:41am,
"Wow, that guy is a bitch. I say you RNC him and shout "where is your neck break now?"

I once asked this guy what to do if taken to the ground. He said "Don't go to the ground." I asked again, and he said that you don't need groundfighting. I now realise it was stupid asking this guy because he doesn't know anything. Why can't people just say they don't know and refer to a BJJ or JJ school? I think a good test is to get someone to state 3 limitations of thier art. If they can't do this they are a Grade A nutrider.

At the start of the lesson, he sits down and does Kuji Kiri hand signals which is a buddhist ritual that has been associated with ninjas. He looked really funny doing it and I had to try and not laugh.

MONGO
9/16/2005 6:59am,
To admit the Bujinkan doesn't cover it all would undo the belief system of 90% of the people who train in it.

Kokujin
9/16/2005 10:10am,
I guess it's hard being owned in front of your students...as much as we like to say the opposite, it's always a matter of ego at some level. You could be sparring with your buddy, if he lands a hard shot or two, you can compliment him on the technique, but you will try to pay him back and the sad part is...you won't do it in a atempt to be a better fighter...it's because of the "attack" to your ego! Sad, but true. I did it a couple of times when I was training, but with time and brains I learned to let my ego be put to sleep much more times and now I end up on the receveing end of the hard shots of my buddie's. That sucks...lol!
It's my opinion that no one who reads the original thread didn't at same time go on a ego trip of some sort, from downsizing the skill of the move that owned you, to badmouthing your training partner, or even criticizing unconventional techniques from some one else. You have to be mature to admit that you suck in this or that, that you don't know how to make that work, etc. And that's pretty hard in a world (martial arts) where many are fuelled by ego.

An a example of downsizing someone else's victory...Akira Maeda, HER0'S promoter calling Genki Sudo a "sneaky fighter" just because of his unsual tactics...and for "not fighting like a man". Well, he did win, didn't he? :icon_chee

dramaboy
9/16/2005 10:31am,
Frankly speaking, I don't understand the "loosing your face" thing.
I roll with all ranks, with people I teach, with people that teach me, I throw them, they throw me, big deal. You acknowledge a good tech and move on. There's no face there to loose. Unless you are stupid and set yourself up with things like "this would never work on me" or "you can't stop this".
There's no better acknowledgement of your teaching abilities than your student beating you with something he/she learned from you.

Tomas

patfromlogan
9/16/2005 10:33pm,
if he lands a hard shot or two, you can compliment him on the technique, but you will try to pay him back and the sad part is...you won't do it in a atempt to be a better fighter...it's because of the "attack" to your ego! Sad, but true.

Yep. Been there, done that. And I hope I've gotten beyond that stuff.

But what really bugs me is that I'll spar some low rank guy who gets a shot or two in, or knocks me off my feet, and then acts like he beat me or shouldn't have gone so hard. I'm thinking, "What?" Because after all these years I don't seem to care all that much about that kind of thing, and GET A CLUE GREEN BELT, I'm not trying to cream you, I'm just sparring. Maybe I'm feeling slow or injured or whatever - now if you act all superior I had better control MY ego, because I'm pretty sure that I COULD cream you.

JohnnyCache
9/16/2005 10:56pm,
But pat, you're so old. . . imagine how it would look in court.