PDA

View Full Version : Shou Shu kung fu?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

King Sleepless
9/10/2005 7:39pm,
Moore's Karate:

So uh... can anyone tell me anything about Shou Shu kung fu... or Shou Shu "Karate" as the local schools call it.

Anyone? I can't find anything about it that isn't on the Moore's Karate website. I didn't think that any Kung Fu schools had colored belt systems, I've always been under the impression it's always been a sash system...

www.mooreschinesemartialarts.com Is their link.

I've gone in and sparred 4 of their top black belt students and I really only had trouble with one of them, being their top student and teacher who wasn't making thousands of dollars. He had really quick hands, but I eventually managed to outfootwork him and get a few body roundhouses, a crecent kick to the face and a leg sweep.

Anybody?

JJ-
9/10/2005 7:54pm,
"Blue Belt: When you reach the high blue belt level. You will be moving 3-5 time faster then you can now and will able to defend yourself against 2-3 people at the same time."

"Black Belt: When you reach the black belt level you will be 100% reactive, you will not have to think at all, and it will be as if the opponent is in slow motion."

Awesome :new_Llol:

TehDeadlyDimMak
9/10/2005 8:00pm,
If you can already defeat their top students there doesn't seem to be much incentive for you to attend this school.

Shaolin LngFst
9/10/2005 11:54pm,
I studied Shou Shu for several years and believed the story about it being a northern chinese mandarin system. I found out several years later that the system is primarily Tracy's Kenpo with some other elements mixed in. This can be verified by calling or emailing Al Tracy.

mantis1997
9/11/2005 12:24am,
very aggressive style very easy to learn not long on forms very practical good against multiple opponents, weapons etc....is very similar to kenpo many of the same techniques which is not a bad thing not a competition style to offensive for that ie groin strikes and nerve strikes i think you would be pleased with how effective of a "fighting style"it is

JohnnyCache
9/11/2005 1:32am,
Looks like typical stuff. 3/10

King Sleepless
9/11/2005 6:00pm,
If you can already defeat their top students there doesn't seem to be much incentive for you to attend this school.

I don't want to attend it. I was just wondering about it.

Kistrael
9/11/2005 6:05pm,
"Blue Belt: When you reach the high blue belt level. You will be moving 3-5 time faster then you can now and will able to defend yourself against 2-3 people at the same time."

"Black Belt: When you reach the black belt level you will be 100% reactive, you will not have to think at all, and it will be as if the opponent is in slow motion."

Awesome :new_Llol:

So you go from Jean-Claude Van Dam belt, to Miyamoto Musashi belt. After that, you will be Neo belt, and will be able to fight off 100 people.

Scrapper
9/11/2005 7:06pm,
Just your basic chinese style created by an American with Japanese conventions. Standard fare. One would actually have to check them out before making a call.

Cullion
9/12/2005 4:34am,
Just your basic chinese style created by an American with Japanese conventions.

I think the fact that the founder's ashamed of the style's real roots is a warning flag.

I predict a trend in 'authentic american' martial arts names like "Texan Kickboxing" or "Mad Jack's Dirty Wrasslin' Academy". 'American Jujitsu' is a good start.

Poop Loops
9/12/2005 11:38am,
http://www.mooreschinesemartialarts.com/images/lineage_pics/dashifu.jpg

http://www.kinoweb.de/film2001/FindingForrester/pix/ff6.jpg

Hrm.....

PL

EternalRage
9/12/2005 11:42am,
Black Belt: When you reach the black belt level you will be 100% reactive, you will not ave to think at all, and it will be as if the opponent is in slow motion.

100% reactive = meltdown. Self pwned.

Fantasy Warrior
9/12/2005 12:03pm,
very aggressive style very easy to learn not long on forms very practical good against multiple opponents, weapons etc....is very similar to kenpo many of the same techniques which is not a bad thing not a competition style to offensive for that ie groin strikes and nerve strikes i think you would be pleased with how effective of a "fighting style"it is
I call bullshido on those claims. Prove the multiple opponent bit -it's bollox. Any art that thinks it's 'good' against multiple opponents needs to test that hypothesis.

A load of Shou Shu'ers started spouting such claims on MAP and Tung Fu forums a couple of years back. They posted clips of their multiple opponent drills etc -which looked pants and were not at all realistic. In fact, compliant theatrics is a better description. Of course, on MAP they were allowed to make such claims...

And it's a "kempo" style. Many rediculous claims are made about D'Shifu (The late Mr Moore) which smell like bullshit too. Stuff like his "magic hands" nickname and beating hundreds of black belts in some test in Asia.

Shawarma
9/12/2005 12:07pm,
Check www.martialartsplanet.com for lotsa threads on and by SS guys if you can bear the massive stupidity in them. The overall consensus of MAP posters is that they're pretty worthless.

King Sleepless
9/12/2005 12:50pm,
Anybody want to go into a school and challenge them? THat'd be funny, from what I hear, they're always up for that.

Poop Loops
9/12/2005 2:49pm,
Just make sure you go alone. Their multiple opponent training will leave them clueless when you come alone.

PL