PDA

View Full Version : Question About Ju Jitsu Uniform

ccualumni
9/07/2005 9:15pm,
I am new to Ju Jitsu, and am looking for some advice as to the best uniform.

I live in the south and will be taking mainly Ju Jitsu (They start you out taking a couple of styles to find what you like).

I have the uniform that was given to me with sign up, but was hoping to get at least another one as well.

Since I am new to JJ, I do not know what would be the recommended gear to wear (they can order one for me).

I was hoping that some of the experts could give a beginner some advice.

Thanks in advance for the help.

RoninPimp
9/07/2005 9:24pm,
Any judogi will work. Plenty of jiu-jitsu gis to pick from too. Mizuno, Adidas, Atama, Howard, Gameness, Krugans. Take your pick. Like most things price is generally a good rough guide. What's best is subjective with diminishing returns and all that.

bushi51
9/07/2005 9:40pm,
Is it a Traditional Japanese JJ? If it is, showing up in a BJJ Kimono will be frowned upon.

ccualumni
9/07/2005 9:44pm,
The JJ is a combination of several differeent styles (Dan Zan Ryu Ju Jitsu, Vee Arnis Jitsu and Shinto Yoshin Jiu Jitsu), and we wear what seems to be regular karate uniforms. The basic one that we get free seems like a cheap uniform (if that makes sense).

I have talked to them about buying a 2nd one, and they will order one for me, ut I just was curious as to what others though.

Thanks again for the help.

bushi51
9/07/2005 9:52pm,
White Judo gi then.

Yrkoon9
9/08/2005 12:28am,
Yeah dude. Stay away from BJJ gi's then. You want a traditional Judogi. Lots of cheapies and a few expensive ones.

When I did Judo I was a Tiger Claw kind of guy because I could never afford a Mizuno.

Be carefull though. Nothing funnier than seeing someone buy the most expensive gi they can find only to bleed all over it their first day of class. And even funnier is to see them quit like 3 weeks later. That bad ass gi sits in a closet for 5 years...

roly
9/08/2005 2:02am,
i reccomend getting a plain white one, no patches/badges etc etc

later on if you start to dabble in other martial arts, you dont have to go and get a new one

lawdog
9/08/2005 7:59am,
I agree with everyone. Plain white (bleached or off white) judo gi. No patches. Make sure it's a judo gi, as there's a big difference between judo and "'karate" gis. Buy the cheapest you can find, until you're sure you're committed. You should be able to find one for under $50, on the internet.

Have fun.

Olorin
9/13/2005 12:46am,
Just to chime in with my two cents…

Get a single weave Judo Gi for now. It will cost you less money. When you wash it, hang it to dry so it does not shrink.

Nate1481
9/13/2005 6:12am,
get something of a resonable quality, ie heavyer weight cotton. preferablywith double stiched seams, unless u like au naturel, as other wise it may rip. Buy deacent pay once, buy cheep pay 5 times...