PDA

View Full Version : Kyokushinkai training

Odacon
8/25/2005 12:12pm,
Can someone explain kyokushinkai karate sparring rules? I'd like to give it a go.

VikingPower
8/25/2005 1:03pm,
Put on a gi and kick the **** out of each other. It varies from instructor to instructor to be honest. Mine has us just wear light hand protection (cloth gloves, the $5 ones) then go at it. Some don't encourage punching to the head but you can kick them in the head or face if you want to. That's about it.

ojgsxr6
8/25/2005 1:06pm,
In the brown and black belt divisions, it's bare knuckle (no pads), no hand or elbow techniques above the neck, kicks and knees allowed pretty much anywhere (head, body, legs), no groin shots obviously.

In the underbelt division, it's what they call semi contact, but it's basically full contact with pads and head gear.

Basically sparring in the school that I go to is similar to what is described in the brown and black divisions minus the head kicks, and varying levels of contact.

ponchoflash
8/25/2005 1:45pm,
official tournament rules are more or less standard stuff:
http://www.kyokushinmail.com/kshin_competition.html

but in each dojo, the sparring rules might differ based on the instructor. Some dojos allow open hand technique to the face (no gloves), others allow groin kicks too. It really depends on the dojo. But these are primarily only for brown and black belts.

Shillelagh
8/25/2005 5:37pm,
I found a tournament video floating around the web early this years labeled "2003 Kyokushin Open," or something like that. Pretty good event; I saw headbutts, elbows, knees and punches to the head, clinching, takedowns, and limited groundwork(Looked like 20 seconds or so on the ground before a standup). No gloves were worn, only hand wraps. All fighters wore a fencing-esque plexiglass face shield. Until I saw this video, I don't think I'd ever seen a guy get knocked out with a headbutt-knee-elbow combo.

The trouble is, as I'm sure some of you have noticed, it doesn't sound much like I'm describing Kyokushin(The rules are clearly different from those already outlined). Maybe I'm not; it's been awhile since I've watched the vid, I don't remember if "Kyokushin" was mentioned anywhere in the event. The fact that Gis were apparently mandatory is the only thing I remember that indicates KK at all. Maybe it was Enshin, or some other KK offshoot. Anyone else know?

Odacon
8/25/2005 6:00pm,
Thanks lads, pretty much how we train, but without the head contact. I've been thinking about making the jump to Kyokushin, but does it include chokes, joint locks and throws?

ojgsxr6
8/25/2005 6:15pm,
As far as I know Kyokushin is a soley stand up fighting system, but in many places it was taught along side of Judo. That may still be the case in Ireland. They're are only 2 Kyokushin offshoot styles that I heard of that have both groundwork and throws, thats Budo Kai and Shidokan. Enshin and Ashihara have have throws sweeps etc. but no groundwork that I know of yet. (I just started Enshin)

Basically I'm just parroting what other Kyokushinkai have said on this board.

Ronin
8/26/2005 6:28am,
As longa sayou are going full contact and bare knuckle with NO pads, its kyokushin competition, sparring can inlcude some protection.
Head shots are used in sparring, but NOT in competition.
Knees are used all over, but elbows only to body.
Sweeping is allowed, if followed by an attack ( In Enshin, grabing and sweeping is allowed and a point awarded, even if NO asttack is used after).
Ground work and thorws are part of Kyokushin Budo-Kai all around fighting.

Otaku Waffle
8/26/2005 7:49am,
All fighters wore a fencing-esque plexiglass face shield.

I know that's a KK offshoot but I can't remember the name. It either is or sounds (vaguely) like Daido Juku.

If this (http://www.tkd.ee/foto/fest2002-4.jpg) is what you're talking about, then it's Daido Juku.

ponchoflash
8/26/2005 8:52am,
yes, what is described with the plexiglass sheild is daido juku. Kyokushin does not allow any protection to be worn during kumite.

Shillelagh
8/26/2005 9:18am,
Picture's worth a thousand words; that's exactly what I was talking about. Sorry for mucking up this thread with my non-kyokushin insanity.

ojgsxr6
8/26/2005 9:24am,
BatRonin, in Enshin a sweep or throw without a todome/finishing move is one point, with the finishing move it's 3 points. Just to let you know, I'm just throwing around my new vocabulary.

Otaku Waffle
8/26/2005 9:26am,
yes, what is described with the plexiglass sheild is daido juku. Kyokushin does not allow any protection to be worn during kumite.

Am I right in my "it's a KK offshoot." assumption, btw?

Shillelagh: It took far less then 1000 words of explanation to make me search for the right kind of picture.

ponchoflash
8/26/2005 9:33am,
yes, it is a offshoot of Kyokushin, which is why they have the modified rules.

Hannibal
8/27/2005 7:47am,
In the brown and black belt divisions, it's bare knuckle (no pads), no hand or elbow techniques above the neck, kicks and knees allowed pretty much anywhere (head, body, legs), no groin shots obviously.

In the underbelt division, it's what they call semi contact, but it's basically full contact with pads and head gear.

Basically sparring in the school that I go to is similar to what is described in the brown and black divisions minus the head kicks, and varying levels of contact.

Not so.

Your first point is correct.

Your second point is not correct. As far as full contact tournaments go - I've never seen head gear worn. Either by senior or junior ranks. The only guards used are mouth guards,groin guards and shin pads - which not everyone uses.