PDA

View Full Version : NHB Gloves for Sparring?

Pages : [1] 2

Rashomon
3/24/2003 3:06pm,
I'm looking for some fingerless NHB gloves with enough padding for sparring in my Vale Tudo class. Unfortunately, most of the ones I have seen have VERY little padding. I tried on a pair of Harbingers and lightly hit myself in the cheek and jaw. The gloves delivered way too much force. I did some searching on the internet, and I found an interview with a guy named August Wallen. He helped develop something called the "Slayer Glove", which is supposed to have good padding for sparring. I only found it listed on one website (http://www.bulldoozer.com/artiklar.asp?brand=utrustning), and it did not have a description, so I couldn't tell how many ounces the gloves are. Also, the price was in a foreign currency. I tried writing to August's site, but my e-mail bounced. So....

Do any of you know where I can find a pair of these Slayer Gloves, including info?

If not, do you know of any other gloves with enough padding for use in sparring?

Thanks

PizDoff
3/24/2003 3:07pm,
didn't we have a thread about this a while ago?

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.
No brain, no gain.

PizDoff
3/24/2003 3:09pm,
don't know if you are the same guy
:)

http://www.fightauthority.com/cmm/viewtopic.php?t=2577

and check this forum's older threads 2-3 back

--
No brain, no gain.

Blad3
3/24/2003 3:12pm,
yeah np, look for the official UFC gloves, they're good and hard, but I use synethetics only but that's just me.

Harbinger make some of the best too.

kickshin make good gloves too.

Go to SFUK.net and look at their reviews section, they have a review on gloves, what they think are the best.

PizDoff
3/24/2003 3:17pm,
sfuk lol

--
No brain, no gain.

Andy Kaufman
3/24/2003 3:22pm,
i have the new fairtex thumbless NHB gloves. i am very happy with them. snug fit, excellent construction.

PizDoff
3/24/2003 3:23pm,
is your sparring partner happy with them? :)

--
No brain, no gain.

yanewbs
3/24/2003 3:33pm,
Andy - I'm also curious about the Fairtex thumbless NHB gloves. I'm looking for a glove that will protect my hands, but are also easy on my training partners faces.

Also - how would you rate them for grappling use.

Thanks

Blad3
3/24/2003 3:45pm,
er i misread, i thought you said u wanted harder gloves - I have no idea really, but I think you'll aprrceiate the offcial UFC ones (VERY hard) after a while (hand conditioning, delviders realistic punches.)

Rashomon: Are you still doing light pucnhes to the face at your Sifu's MMA place?

Punisher
3/24/2003 4:09pm,
Most gear is meant to protect you,and not your opponent. Gloves are primarily to protect your hand, not your partners face. If you don't want to hurt your partner, don't hit so hard or have him invest in some protective gear like proper headgear with a face cage. If your still looking for some NHB/MMA type gloves that might not have so much sting to them, Century has a pair of knockoff's they've been selling for years. They're leather, padded, and I've seen several prowrestlers were them. They are NOT for full contact or actual competition, but might be a choice for someone who doesn't want to hurt people.

Blad3
3/24/2003 4:18pm,
a heag guard of any type, especially one with a face cage is 100% no good for NHB.
I know those centruy ones I think - I would just go for offcial UFCs or simialar...

Punisher
3/24/2003 6:43pm,
Blade,

Why do you say a head guard it 100% no good?

The wearing of proper safety gear during training allows you to do just that, keep training. If you step out on the mat, take a unprotected shot to the face and get knocked out, you’re training is over for that day and possibly for quite a while. You can still be knocked back or off your feet, when wearing headgear. Good ones won’t prevent the execution of a choke or other submission. If Rashomon was training for an upcoming fight, I might agree with you, but he seems like he is just looking for a way not to hurt someone in class while going at high intensity. Even fighters training for UFC or Pride wear various amounts of safety gear so they are healthy for when it actually counts, the fight.

If you are going to use headgear it is really important that you get one designed for full contact. The foam stuff doesn’t cut it, and even comes with a sticker saying that it is intended for accidental contact only.

I agree the Century gloves are really just an attempt to cash in on the popularity of MMA events and are for guys that want their gloves to look similar to the ones used on TV.

Kempoist
3/24/2003 6:54pm,
Harbingers are great for competition but if you're just sparring I prefer Kempo gloves. The don't limit flexibilty ot grappling, and are padded enough to protect your partner. A picture of them can be found at this link:

http://www.karatedepot.com/tr-gl-70.html

Rashomon
3/24/2003 7:01pm,
Blade, I think I might have left the wrong impression, before. The contact isn't "light" so much as "not excessive". It's pretty much up to you and your partner. Of course you don't want to take each others' heads off or break someone's nose. That seems excessive, to me.

I want a softer glove so I can throw faster punches. I haven't quite gotten the hang of "fast but not hard", yet, and that's with 16oz gloves. I think i would be MUCH more hesitant and wary of tagging my partner if I just wore some thin NHB gloves. (Perhaps I am just too easy on my partner. :> )

Blad3
3/24/2003 8:21pm,
ok about the sparing. Rashomon - for NHB/MMA? just get ufc ones/ufc style ones, if you want to do some serious striking just get some boxing gloves (like you have?), and go striking-only. Practise full MMA with MMA gloves or no gloves. You're going too easy ;)

Punisher - grappling with a head guard? barely workable. I understand what you're saying - I think even in term of striking it's cool to use one *maybe* at the beggining, but try not to. If you;re trianing for a fight? you'll want to wear one! you'll need to help prevent/lower the risk of those injuries before a fight. Boxers nearly always wear headguards in serious training sparring though...

shinbushi
3/24/2003 9:39pm,
I recommend Kikskin Vale Tudo gloves (http://www.taijutsu.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SBBS&Product_Co de=KE-01V&Category_Code=SG). We use them all the time in sparring