PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice on dojo

Blue9
7/25/2005 3:45pm,
Hello all,

Been reading alot of the forums and figured I should register now.

I am interested in starting Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. There is a dojo in Atlanta, I was looking at. Being that I am new to this in every way I don't know if the instuctors are good and not Bullshido.

The dojo is part of Alliance Martial Arts Center. The website is:

www.alliancebjj.com

Anyone know about this place or its instructors?

thanks for the help.

Kengou
7/25/2005 3:48pm,
At a quick glance, it seems like a very legitimate place. They say they have produced many champions in BJJ.

Yrkoon9
7/25/2005 3:50pm,
I think you should go challenge them to a fight to see how good they are. I think someone did that once.

EternalRage
7/25/2005 3:52pm,
Bullshido no. Looks expensive. Maybe McDojo depending on how much they asking for.

Samfoo
7/25/2005 3:53pm,
I think you should go challenge them to a fight to see how good they are. I think someone did that once.

You're mean.

TheProfessor
7/25/2005 10:11pm,
Team Alliance is the team to beat in Georgia BJJ. Jacare was a black belt under Rolls Gracie (awarded just before Rolls died unexpectedly in a hang gliding accident). I took a class there, liked it, but decided to train at a (closer, cheaper) satellite school under one of Jacare's black belts, "Bull" Shaw (www.alliancemarietta.com). Top-notch instruction. Other good schools are the Velocity Kickboxing (they also do BJJ) schools at three locations (www.velocitykickboxing.com), or the Tiger Academy (www.tigeracademy.com).

(Edited for URLs)

richarjs
7/25/2005 10:18pm,
dude, alliance kicks ass. you'd be an idiot not to train there. that's my opinion

TehDeadlyDimMak
7/25/2005 10:26pm,
If he knows no martial arts and challenges them to a fight, won't he get owned no matter how good the place is? I know some really bad Karatekas that while no match for a trained fighter could easily whoop someone who has no clue what he's doing...

yes I know my sense of humor died...

Locu5
7/31/2005 3:49pm,
Hi, Blue9, what part of town are you in?