PDA

View Full Version : Subjectivism

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

DubhGhaill
7/20/2005 5:09pm,
This was posted by another Bullshido member a couple of days ago.

No system in my opinion is superior to any other..... only superior fighters.
we have a rule at our school.

Quote:
8. Criticism of other Martial Art and/or students will not be tolerated.

The main objective of a student when he/she begins practice of Martial Arts is the cultivation of virtue and morality. The student must strive to better himself/herself.

No one style or system reigns supreme over any other. No one style or system is so far below any other. All Martial Arts have something to offer us. If we have the wisdom to perceive all may teach us their merit. A closed mind, however, is like a full tea cup. It cannot hold anymore.

Therefore, good conduct and respect must be shown for all fellow students, other styles and their students at all times.

If we follow the anti-logic of this rule where it leads, then we have to conclude that Dux Ryu, Hikuta and Short Hand Empty Hand are just as valid and worthy of consideration as Boxing, Muay Thai and BJJ.

In Philosophy, this kind of thinking is known as 'Subjectivism'. Subjectivism holds that there is no absolute truth, only 'true for you' and 'true for me', and that all beliefs are equally valid.

Subjectivism is a denial of objective reality and has no place on Bullshido.

Yrkoon9
7/20/2005 5:12pm,
You put Dux Ryu into comparison with BJJ?

....oh ****....

Tourettes
7/20/2005 5:19pm,
You put Dux Ryu into comparison with BJJ?

....oh ****....

they're on the same level only if you subscribe to the anti-logic of subjectivism contained within the post he quoted. By not subscribing to it - dux ryu <> bjj.

Yrkoon9
7/20/2005 5:24pm,
It made it into the same sentence and blood got into my eyes. Luckily I was able to contain my rage before my RBSD kicked in and someone died.

However in the future it should be known that BJJ should never be put into the same sentence with Dux Ryu. Even an indirect comparison to show a fallacy should be avoided to avoid tainting the source of all enlightenment.

Tourettes
7/20/2005 5:33pm,
RBSD rage is quite the subjective thing, dude...

sui generis
7/20/2005 5:56pm,
In theory this "we dont badmouth other styles" might be a nice thing - the problem is the outcome, which you can see in most other MA-forums : it is this very repulsive respect for every dork with a gi and a shiny belt, no matter what **** he teaches... so yes, it's like the opposite of Bullshido-thinking :new_vampv

The_Mirth
7/20/2005 6:31pm,
In context it was an instructor basically telling his students not to come to his class and constantly bicker about whose style is the best. In my opinion have rules like that for your school are fine as constantly talking about which style is best or sucks isn't productive since either everyone either incestually agrees that their school's style is the r0x0r or they say it sucks and all leave. Either way the teacher spends more time yakking about why his style is good. "If you don't like it fine, train somewhere else and good luck, if you do well then I'll be happy to teach you."

Sounds a like a lot more honest of an approach than a lot of schools.

WarriorOfLuv
7/20/2005 6:38pm,
Unless you're Rorion Gracie, I don't think a system or a main exponent of the system in the history of martial arts has absolutely claimed to be 'the ultimate in martial arts', thus making an assessment of 'objective reality' or an 'objective comparison between martial arts' moot. But when I talk about martial artists, I don't talk about the charlatans, the magicians, and the bloodsucking frauds.

Kengou
7/20/2005 6:47pm,
I actually agree with some points of that. I think that every martial art has something to offer, and that the level of fighting ability is determined by the person rather than any style. However, I also think that some styles have more to offer about certain areas of fighting than others. BJJ offers very concentrated, effective groundfighting. However it doesn't teach strikes to any great depth. To learn strikes in-depth you need another style. TKD has something to offer in terms of strategy against/using kicks; even if a lot of those kicks might be ineffective, it goes to such an extreme to hone strategy against as many kicking techniques as possible. Boxing teaches great punches, but it seriously lacks anything related to kicks or grappling. Each style has SOMETHING to offer; more than one style might offer the same thing (MT, TKD; Judo, BJJ) but each still teaches different moves or strategies, and therefore each style has something to teach, either small, large, or concentrated to any martial subject.

Because of that, saying "TKD sucks" or "MMA is the best" is pretty useless. In that respect, I agree.

Year Zero
7/20/2005 7:17pm,
I think sometimes one should measure how much criticism a particular style gets based on how much **** its people talk about other martial arts. Now I know BJJ has been known to do a little of this but BJJ has PROVEN itself worthy to do so. MT and Judo as well as a few others could do the same if they wanted. What is annoying are systems that come out of nowhere claiming to be the best, and of course they are always BETTER than BJJ, MT, Judo, etc. Then it's time to start chucking stones at their glass house.

VikingPower
7/20/2005 10:21pm,
However in the future it should be known that BJJ should never be put into the same sentence with Dux Ryu.

You just did though :icon_wink

:pottytrai

fusenshi
7/20/2005 10:38pm,
In my opinion, most times, when I hear someone say "My system is the best" or something like that, it usually comes from inexperienced fighters that are just looking to boost their self-confidence a little bit. As confidence and skills grow, I think people tend to grow out of this. They start to realize that there is always someone better than them, always something they can't defend against, etc. It's the reason we train. Of course, if they have an over-inflated ego that they never get rid of, usually someone will come along and burst their bubble, which is usually the best thing for them.

Year Zero
7/20/2005 10:52pm,
In my opinion, most times, when I hear someone say "My system is the best" or something like that, it usually comes from inexperienced fighters that are just looking to boost their self-confidence a little bit. As confidence and skills grow, I think people tend to grow out of this. They start to realize that there is always someone better than them, always something they can't defend against, etc. It's the reason we train. Of course, if they have an over-inflated ego that they never get rid of, usually someone will come along and burst their bubble, which is usually the best thing for them.

I guess heaping praise and faith on their system makes up for lack of confidence in their ability sometimes.

fusenshi
7/20/2005 10:58pm,
I guess heaping praise and faith on their system makes up for lack of confidence in their ability sometimes.

Its kindof like the attitude "If I say it enough, it will become true". People usually grow out of it, or get their eyes opened.

EternalRage
7/20/2005 11:08pm,
That statement is complete bullshit. You can criticize but just don't be an ass about it, if you really want to be productive, respectful criticism would be the best way. Too many Bullshido members, although their minds are in the right place, can't seem to find the right words to say - stuff like "suck it up and train" or "that style sucks you noob what the hell are you going to do when you get taken down."

That **** isn't constructive at all, and it only serves to make TMAers or whoever you're flaming really mad and they'll immediately think things like "all MMAers are stupid meatheads" - that excuse given by alot of TMAers is probably because the people who argue against them aren't very tactful, despite the truth of what they're saying.

I've gone on other websites like Karateforums or MAP and preached Bullshido but I do it in a manner where its like I'm one of them trying to convince them of something (well, actually I sort of am one of them), yeah its a lot slower because I'm trying to get them to actually think outside of their little boxes and its not nearly as entertaining as "**** you find a real system n00b". But they're more willing to listen, and more often times than not they realize the merits of what I say.

The person who said that **** about criticism is probably someone that got a little too much of trashtalking instead of something constructive and got bitter. So its partially the fault of forums like this that push people to that irrational edge. I've gone on other forums and I read stuff about Bullshido like "yeah there's some good info there but you have to dig through all the flaming and crap to find it" and stuff like "they're a bunch of stupid kids..." If we all were a little bit more respectful and approached them in a context that they're familiar to, most likely it would be more constructive.

Of course, the flip side is that those that TRULY deserve a good flaming wouldn't get it (ie Phil, Ashida, etc)

riceavenger
7/20/2005 11:26pm,
Oh yes, the old "let's just all play nice and get along with each other" philosophy. It worked back in grade school but out in the adult world....no.