PDA

View Full Version : Noobie, starting over

Pages : [1] 2

G.R. Bug
7/12/2005 9:32pm,
Hi -- I've been lurking here for about a year, just signed up. I thought I should introduce myself.

I studied karate for a long time, drifted out of it, and recently got an unintended wake-up call from a friend of mine, who caused me to realize that because I didn't have much experience with hard-contact training, I didn't have much serious martial arts experience, period.

Now I'm trying to get started into boxing. I haven't done much yet, due to financial issues, but i'm determined to make it work.

I'm not going to post much for awhile, but I do have one possibly worthwhile thing to say:

People here often suggest that semi-contact karate people are reluctant to acknowledge the limitations of their art because they don't want to admit they "wasted all those years" in training. I disagree. I enjoyed lots of aspects of my karate training.

No, what was tough for me was confronting the question "do I have what it takes to do some REAL training?" That's not just a question of whether you wasted time, that's a question about who you really are.

Dissipate
7/12/2005 9:50pm,
I studied karate for a long time, drifted out of it, and recently got an unintended wake-up call from a friend of mine, who caused me to realize that because I didn't have much experience with hard-contact training, I didn't have much serious martial arts experience, period.

I think that happens to alot of people in TMA. That's why I'm going for BJJ, you grapple for reals at full speed. And as far as I know in BJJ, you don't get belts for doing forms.

lawdog
7/12/2005 10:12pm,
People here often suggest that semi-contact karate people are reluctant to acknowledge the limitations of their art because they don't want to admit they "wasted all those years" in training. I disagree. I enjoyed lots of aspects of my karate training.

No, what was tough for me was confronting the question "do I have what it takes to do some REAL training?" That's not just a question of whether you wasted time, that's a question about who you really are.

I think you're missing the point. It seems to me that most of the people you're talking about were referring to semi-contact karateka who, as you yourself said, refuse to admit the limitations of their arts. Limitations being its ineffectiveness. I've never heard anybody say it had no redeeming qualities. Everyone agrees that depending upon your goals, it might be great for you. However, if your goal is to become a competent fighter outside of that sport, then you're wasting your time.

I hope boxing works out for you. It's a great sport.

G.R. Bug
7/12/2005 10:16pm,
Yeah, I hope to study BJJ or wrestling in the next few years -- just figured it would be easier to start with boxing since the punches have some similarity to karate hand techniques.

Poop Loops
7/12/2005 10:20pm,
Boxing is probably a lot cheaper, too. Well, per month. All the gear will add up in cost... :(

PL

G.R. Bug
7/12/2005 10:21pm,
I think you're missing the point. It seems to me that most of the people you're talking about were referring to semi-contact karateka who, as you yourself said, refuse to admit the limitations of their arts. Limitations being its ineffectiveness. I've never heard anybody say it had no redeeming qualities. Everyone agrees that depending upon your goals, it might be great for you. However, if your goal is to become a competent fighter outside of that sport, then you're wasting your time.

I hope boxing works out for you. It's a great sport.

Thanks. You're right, I didn't express myself real well.

To clarify, I haven't noticed anybody here suggesting karate has no redeeming features. But I have seen posts that I took to mean "you won't admit you're not adequately prepared to fight because it means admitting you chose an approach that didn't work out well, and admitting you have lots more to learn." And for some people that may be the issue (or at least they think that's the issue). For me it was "maybe I was, am, and always will be a wuss, and I'm about to find out for sure."

Next, I'll explain the federal prescription plans for our senior citizens... :happy:

lawdog
7/12/2005 10:42pm,
Thanks. You're right, I didn't express myself real well.

To clarify, I haven't noticed anybody here suggesting karate has no redeeming features. But I have seen posts that I took to mean "you won't admit you're not adequately prepared to fight because it means admitting you chose an approach that didn't work out well, and admitting you have lots more to learn." And for some people that may be the issue (or at least they think that's the issue). For me it was "maybe I was, am, and always will be a wuss, and I'm about to find out for sure."

I appreciate your perspective. I've never had the trepidation you describe, so it's a little hard for me to relate to, but it makes a lot of sense. I hadn't really thought about it in those terms, but I'm sure you're correct. There are probably many people who realize their style is not very effective, but actually like it that way, because they never really have anything to lose. Thanks for offering a different perspective.

Next, I'll explain the federal prescription plans for our senior citizens... :happy:

I don't get the joke.

PizDoff
7/12/2005 10:43pm,
Sounds like you are on the right track and have a good attitude about your new path.

How did you get this wake up call from your friend?

Olorin
7/12/2005 10:46pm,
Well, Well, Well…a Noob thread that stated with “Hi everybody I am new here and I study X” that did not turn into a train wreck! A +Rep worthy accomplishment in itself!

Yeah, I hope to study BJJ or wrestling in the next few years

G.R. Bug, post your location and maybe someone will know a good place for you to train if you decide to add BJJ or wrestling.

Welcome to “active posting”

G.R. Bug
7/12/2005 10:49pm,
I don't get the joke.[/QUOTE]

In the past couple of years, the Bush administration has developed a prescription drug plan for seniors that involves multiple coverage options and is supposedly very complicated and hard to understand. (I couldn't tell you all the details, not quite old enough to qualify yet, but getting there). It seemed like a good analogy since I'd already botched my attempt to communicate a simple point in my first post.

Poop Loops
7/12/2005 10:54pm,
Are you saying there are Terrorists about?

PL

G.R. Bug
7/12/2005 10:56pm,
Sounds like you are on the right track and have a good attitude about your new path.

How did you get this wake up call from your friend?

Basically, he offered an honest opinion that I didn't want to hear, and I spent several days trying to figure out why it pissed me off so much. Eventually I realized that it wasn't so much what he'd said as the fact he was involved in full-contact martial arts and had a perspective I didn't have. My friend started studying much later than I did, and has fewer years' training than I did, yet he was training at a level I'd never reached. The child is father to the man, so to speak.

lawdog
7/12/2005 10:57pm,
I don't get the joke.

In the past couple of years, the Bush administration has developed a prescription drug plan for seniors that involves multiple coverage options and is supposedly very complicated and hard to understand. (I couldn't tell you all the details, not quite old enough to qualify yet, but getting there). It seemed like a good analogy since I'd already botched my attempt to communicate a simple point in my first post.[/QUOTE]

I know what the prescription drug plan is, I just didn't get the joke. Now, I get it. I just hope you have more success with boxing than you do with comedy.

G.R. Bug
7/12/2005 11:02pm,
Well, Well, Well…a Noob thread that stated with “Hi everybody I am new here and I study X” that did not turn into a train wreck! A +Rep worthy accomplishment in itself!

G.R. Bug, post your location and maybe someone will know a good place for you to train if you decide to add BJJ or wrestling.

Welcome to “active posting”

Thanks. Be patient, I may find a way to screw this up yet. I'm in Gainesville, Florida, there's a MMA school in town, also University of Florida judo and wrestling clubs. I know a little about the MMA school and the judo club, they seem like good options to me.

G.R. Bug
7/12/2005 11:08pm,
I know what the prescription drug plan is, I just didn't get the joke. Now, I get it. I just hope you have more success with boxing than you do with comedy.[/QUOTE]

Me, too.

Olorin
7/12/2005 11:10pm,
PS when you edit quotes leave the persons name and the word quote at the beginning of the quote. Example [QUOTE=G.R. Bug] and then leave [/QUO*E] at the end and it will appear in a block.