PDA

View Full Version : Mercer University Martial Arts.

LordMitchell
7/10/2005 11:45pm,
Hello, I posted a WHILE back, but disappeared...

Well, here's the deal. I'm going to Mercer University, and there are a few courses I might be able to take.

Tae Kwon Do with Mary Ann Drake, or Shito Ryu Karate with Dr. Philip McCreanor.

Or, I can read books by Bruce Lee.

Or, I can go to a non-college supported school, but I'm not sure which one, or how to locate one...

Sam Browning
7/11/2005 12:22am,
What are you actually looking to learn?

LordMitchell
7/31/2005 8:02pm,
...Hopefully, how to defend myself.

I've tried googling for Martial Arts Colleges in Macon, but I either get too many results, or none...

And need to visit this site more often.

Poop Loops
7/31/2005 8:03pm,
Get a gun or tazer. Best self-defense.

PL

Savatuer
7/31/2005 8:08pm,
I believe, actually, that Pepper Spray is more effective than a taser.

Kengou
7/31/2005 9:19pm,
"I believe, actually, that Pepper Spray is more effective than a taser."

That's a debatable issue.

If you want to defend yourself, forget college courses, and especially forget learning from books. Try googling "[your city/town/location] martial arts", I bet you'll find something.

Poop Loops
7/31/2005 11:11pm,
Universities have martial arts and some are of good quality, but only the extracurricular ones. The ones that give credits are crap. My local CC has a few "karate" classes which teach you forms. Bleah.

PL

hapkido_keith
8/01/2005 1:15am,
My local CC has BJJ classes. They're pretty good too.

bad credit
8/01/2005 1:47am,
Stay home and read the the JKD books by Bruce Lee. Study some martial arts on your own and find good fighters to spar. You'll realize that Bruce was on to something. Did me wonders when I was in college.

EternalRage
8/01/2005 1:57am,
I believe, actually, that Pepper Spray is more effective than a taser.

Some people can eat that ****. Most people can't eat 1000000000 volts

EternalRage
8/01/2005 1:59am,
Stay home and read the the JKD books by Bruce Lee. Study some martial arts on your own and find good fighters to spar. You'll realize that Bruce was on to something. Did me wonders when I was in college.

Books only tend to help if you have prior experience or currently enrolled in a school. If you ahve no experience and then start reading books then you end up like Ralph Macchio in the first one....

LordMitchell
8/07/2005 4:25pm,
:Sigh: The thing with googling is that I keep getting the words Karate, and the words "Kid" in the same sentence.

Even for someone who has VERY low "real" martial arts. (My Soh Bakh Do was PURE Bullshido...some sparring, but VERY formalized...Hm...a Boxing institute...Eastern Kenpo Karate Society...)

Hey...Judo, Ju-Jitsu, Aikido, Kickboxing, Hapkido (What's that?)...

http://martialarts.addresses.com/yp_category_search/sports~and~tools/martial~arts/276/15/macon,ga/13657.html

Hm....Since I'll have to bum a ride from my roommate, these look interesting...