PDA

View Full Version : 10% of our brains

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Liffguard
7/07/2005 6:56am,
Sorry, but I'm getting bloody tired of this myth. I just saw it pop up again on the qi gong video thread and it's starting to piss me off (I didn't finish reading the thread, it may have been debunked later). Here are a few links debunking this fiction that seems to be the last resort of anyone claiming supernatural powers.

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percnt.htm

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

http://www.csicop.org/si/9903/ten-percent-myth.html

http://www.sci-con.org/articles/20040901.html

xingyifa
7/07/2005 7:04am,
Don't worry, if there's even 1% of the brain that's not consistently used by the average person, odds are someone on this board would still consider it a reason for believing in cheesy chi stuff...

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7/07/2005 7:12am,
Everyone knows chi is linked to body fat. This is why all the great chi masters are lardasses.

Ronin
7/07/2005 7:32am,
No offense, but those links suck ass.

So the only proof we have that we use all our brain is what?

PET scans that show some activity in some areas , but have yet to show activity in the WHOLE brain?

That's giving ammo to the other side !

drunken monkey
7/07/2005 7:40am,
it's not lard.
it's the physical manifestation of years of storing chi......
it's such a powerful thing that it can actually alter your physical appearance.
after more than 20 years, it even starts to alter facial hair and the clothes you wear.

pox
7/07/2005 7:43am,
No offense, but those links suck ass.

PET scans that show some activity in some areas , but have yet to show activity in the WHOLE brain?

they show activity in all of the brain, but at different times

the ten percent brain usage=untapped chi power argument seems something akin to claiming that you can access hitherto unimgained physical resources by flexing every muscle in your body simultaneously

Ronin
7/07/2005 7:46am,
they show activity in all of the brain, but at different times

the ten percent brain usage=untapped chi power argument seems something akin to claiming that you can access hitherto unimgained physical resources by flexing every muscle in your body simultaneously

And the asswipes that beleive the 10% thing will counter that, you only use 10% at any given time, not the same 10%, but 10% in general, or some crap like that.

Liffguard
7/07/2005 7:47am,

I'm not claiming we definately use all of our brains all of the time. What the links were showing is that there's no evidence that the 10% claim is correct and that it simply emerged as an old wives' tale/urban legend. Plus you can also apply a bit of reasoning/common sense. E.g. if the 10% claim was correct, on average about 90% of those who took a bullet in the brain would survive with no ill-effects.

Ronin
7/07/2005 7:48am,
I if the 10% claim was correct, on average about 90% of those who took a bullet in the brain would survive with no ill-effects.

you are opening up a whole new can of worms with that theory.

xingyifa
7/07/2005 7:48am,
So you're saying that there's no specific part of the brain related to psychic phenomena? You're just psychic when you have more parts of the brain in use at any given time? Are you serious?!

A.D.D
7/07/2005 7:56am,
People who say that we only use 10% of our brains are probably under the impression that the entire brain could be used for conscious thought rather than anything like regulation of bodily functions.

xingyifa
7/07/2005 8:02am,
The idea that there is a psychic part of the brain is ridiculous enough. The idea that more brain usage might even possibly equate to superpowers is terrible. In fact, as I recall, some techniques in psychotherapy have been known to do just this (attempt to increase brain usage), and they produce seizures by what's known as the kindling effect. There's a lot we don't know about the brain but there's also a lot that we do know. None of what we know would currently do anything to validate cheesy chi stuff. Why can't the chi people leave good science alone and instead focus on producing some documented results?

MrMcFu
7/07/2005 8:07am,
They need to work on producing someone who can fight.

dakotajudo
7/07/2005 9:01am,

That's giving ammo to the other side !

Did you actually read the links?

"Brain imaging research techniques such as PET scans (positron emission tomography) and fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) clearly show that the vast majority of the brain does not lie fallow."

"Still, functional brain imaging studies show that all parts of the brain function."

It's been a few years since my graduate neurophysiology course, but I can be pretty confidently say that the entire brain is used. There's a whole wealth of evidence beyond brain scans; brain scans are mostly used to determine which parts of the brain are used during specific activities.

Some of the more interesting studies have come from people, who through stroke or other trauma, have lost function of a specific region of the brain.

If nothing else, consider a common phenomena in physiology - cells that are not regularly active quickly atrophy and die. The Schiavo case is an example of that.

If you don't use your brain cells, you will lose them.

DubhGhaill
7/07/2005 9:37am,
Wasn't the 10% thing actually a quote from Albert Einstein?

Ronin
7/07/2005 9:40am,
Did you actually read the links?

"Brain imaging research techniques such as PET scans (positron emission tomography) and fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) clearly show that the vast majority of the brain does not lie fallow."

"Still, functional brain imaging studies show that all parts of the brain function."

It's been a few years since my graduate neurophysiology course, but I can be pretty confidently say that the entire brain is used. There's a whole wealth of evidence beyond brain scans; brain scans are mostly used to determine which parts of the brain are used during specific activities.

Some of the more interesting studies have come from people, who through stroke or other trauma, have lost function of a specific region of the brain.

If nothing else, consider a common phenomena in physiology - cells that are not regularly active quickly atrophy and die. The Schiavo case is an example of that.

If you don't use your brain cells, you will lose them.

You missed my point, while the WHOLE brain is used, it is NEVER used all at the same time.
Little things like that is what people grasp at.
grasping at straws ? yes, but there you have it.