PDA

View Full Version : Gaijin Ryu Challenge/Exhibition Match

Pages : [1] 2 3

MaverickZ
7/05/2005 9:35pm,
Well, now that I've spoken with my instructor and he gave his go ahead I figure I can tell you all a fun story. Some back story first. A student that trains in our school that also trains (or trained, i dunno) at some other kenpo school (five star something or other) was talking about his grappling training there. Apparently they questioned the need for grappling and the usefulness of it (go figure in this day and age). So he spoke to our jj instructor and set up an exhibition match between us and that kenpo school. (this would be the second one that has happened, but i was not present at the first)

So on June 24th a bunch of us (20-25 people) went over there to do some grappling versus striking matches. We could only use jiujitsu, while the guys from the kenpo school could both strike and grapple (if they could). They managed to field 4 guys. The rules were full contact so if they could knock us out they won. They were big guys too, smallest one was 180lb if I remember correctly. Everyone fought well. They had to go more than once just because there were so many of us and so few of them. They won a couple, one was a knock out, one was a nosebleed. But we managed to win the majority, something like 15-3 if I had to guess (a couple of matches i couldn't figure out who won or not cause it got confusing). Great experience all in all.

Some observations: there was no kenpo done by any of the people from the kenpo school, a couple of their fighters clearly had wrestling experience.

Anyway, that's our story. And I gained even more respect for what I am being taught.

Video forthcoming.

P.S. I won my match with a RNC. And they want a "rematch" with just MMA rules.

P.P.S. The first challenege/exhibition was at a TKD school with similar results.

P.P.P.S. Similar thread: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=270053&highlight=gaijin

Kinzei
7/05/2005 10:42pm,
Congrats! Look forward to the video.

fanatical
7/06/2005 1:56am,
Haha. I still can't get over how cool it is that your style is actually called Gaijin ryu. Know the story about that?

Can't wait for the video :)

MEGALEF
7/06/2005 2:56am,
Doesn't that mean "white foreigner's school"?

feedback
7/06/2005 3:03am,
That's cool, can't wait for the video.

groundcontrolba
7/06/2005 3:27am,
Hey bro thats awesome .i work with a guy from the kenpo school you guys took on . I go to the ground control academy. Anyway i told them it was very nice of you guys not to punch and kick. I asked him if there were any converts after you guys were done and i got the same old response that they couldnt eye gouge or bite . We argue this point all the time and i tell him that if we go and i own him to the point that he has to bite well then i ll finish breaking his arm or choking him unconscious then ill bite the **** out of him back.Glad to hear you guys represented up here. He said your teacher used to do kenpo or something with his teacher.

groundcontrolba
7/06/2005 3:35am,
Oh i almost forgot. Apparently the other kenpo school in the area thought it was a brawl and came down to help them out if i remember what he said correctly. I laughed and thought how funny it would be all these guys donning gis and rushing to defend the honor of kenpo in baltimore city.He pretty much said that their kenpo didnt work and that the only wins came from reverting to boxing.That must have been the knockout. .They thought you guys were a bunch of rogue thugs.

MaverickZ
7/06/2005 7:45am,
fanatical, the name literally translates to "foreigner school of the gentle art". the story behind the name as i was told it by master lee (who founded the style) is as follows. when the japanese jj guys saw what he was doing they did not see it as japanese jj, when the brazilians saw it they did not think it was brazilian jj. so since no one would accept what he did as theirs he named it that, plus i suppose the fact that he has studied other styles influenced that. plus, with the right connotation, it can translate to the barbarian school of jiujitsu, which is pretty cool.

groundcontrolba, one of the guys apparently wants to set something up with his kenpo school too (the big white dude that fought at the end). which might be fun. all that eye gouging and biting (we allowed them to do groin strikes) is nice and all, but all i'd like to have seen is at least some kenpo. it's possible both my instructor and the head of that school studied under the same guy, master lee is a kenpo black belt.

heh, rogue thugs, that's funny. i think we acted with as much respect as we could, we certainly weren't yelling and getting upset like someone there. but that doesn't matter, it wasn't about us beating them or visa versa, just an experiment.

by the way, we're out of owings mills and ellicot city actually.

as far as their wins. one was by a nose bleed and fight stoppage, and one was by a knockout from a gnp from guard. one fight worth mentioning was a 20 minute ordeal between one of their wrestler guys and our blue belt, with headbutts, groin strikes and lots of knees, funniest thing though is that the striker gave up after wearing himself out.

anyway, video will take a couple of days cause i gotta get a copy of the disk first.

groundcontrolba
7/06/2005 4:58pm,
hmmm sounds interesting. im interested in doing some mma style matches. let me know if you want a tag along. Ive been wanting to get some experience against some pure strikers. This sounds like a blast.

groundcontrolba
7/06/2005 5:06pm,
I dont like coming off as a bjj nutrider or anything but my arguement against those arts like kenpo is always that you fight how you train. i mean if all that extraneous stuff doesnt really work why spend countless hours refining it. i mean hey if you like it as a hobby good for you but dont think its going to work in real life unless you can try it out in practice full speed full force.Like i said count me in if you guys are setting up those mma style bouts.

SuperGuido
7/07/2005 10:22am,
Once again, it just goes to show that one-dimensional fighters get owned in competition with three-dimensional fighters. I remember when I was studying Shito-Ryu Karate, and I talked trash to a friend of mine about "Not needing to know how to grapple".

Well...he was a BJJ brown belt, and he promptly humiliated me when we did "Freestyle".

That was 8 years ago...and I've been cross training in Judo/BJJ since. I learned my lesson.

In reference to the competition, to be fair you must take into account the fact that the Kenpo school had 4 guys, and 18 matches were fought. Since you made mention of "all the guys from your school", I have to assume that you brought 18 guys with you.

Now...while I'm not an MMA competitor, it does seem obvious that when a fighter is forced to fight 4 or 5 FRESH fighters, he will be expected to do poorly.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, and only 4-5 fighters from your school competed. However, I don't believe you can fairly assess a school by forcing their fighters to compete against 4 or 5 fresh and ready grapplers from your school in a row.

Good story, though. Reinforces the value of cross training.

May you achieve
Satori

MaverickZ
7/07/2005 10:29am,
you're right, they did have to fight fresh guys during every match. but they also lost all of their "first" matches too. after each one had gone and been beaten the experiment was over. all the matches after that were their choice, and we didn't mind.

shinbushi
7/07/2005 12:01pm,
fanatical, the name literally translates to "foreigner school of the gentle art". the story behind the name as i was told it by master lee (who founded the style) is as follows. when the japanese jj guys saw what he was doing they did not see it as japanese jj, when the Brazilians saw it they did not think it was Brazilian jj. so since no one would accept what he did as theirs he named it that, plus i suppose the fact that he has studied other styles influenced that. plus, with the right connotation, it can translate to the barbarian school of jiujitsu, which is pretty cool.
Barbarian in Japanese is Yaban. Gaijin depending on connotation can be an abbreviation of Gaikokujin (The proper word for a person from a foreign country) or a slur meaning outsider.

MaverickZ
7/07/2005 1:12pm,
Barbarian in Japanese is Yaban. Gaijin depending on connotation can be an abbreviation of Gaikokujin (The proper word for a person from a foreign country) or a slur meaning outsider.

you're right it's not a direct translation, but that's the implication when a negative connotation is used.

MaverickZ
7/14/2005 8:50pm,
ok well, the dvd is ready. so if someone can tell me how to make *.vob files on a dvd into mpg or avi or whatever, i can put up the video(s). it'd also help if someone can let me know where i can host them, cause i only have 30 megs on my hosting place. thanks.

Samfoo
7/14/2005 11:18pm,
ok well, the dvd is ready. so if someone can tell me how to make *.vob files on a dvd into mpg or avi or whatever, i can put up the video(s). it'd also help if someone can let me know where i can host them, cause i only have 30 megs on my hosting place. thanks.

I can host it for you. A good guide to ripping DVD's can be found here:

http://doom9.org/autogk.htm

E-mail me when you have them encoded: [email protected]

And I'll host them.