PDA

View Full Version : Gracie jiu jitsu schools?

Negativecr33p
7/01/2005 7:14pm,
Anyone know about the quality of instruction there? I'd assume it's good, but they're all over, so I figured I'd just ask. A friend is planning on signing up and wants me to sign up with him.

BSDaemon
7/01/2005 7:26pm,
There? Where?
Go check it out and see for yourself... And have an icepack and pain killers waiting for you.... Their n00b stomping policies are often quite brutal, just ask the capsule on my left arm.

Grant
7/01/2005 7:27pm,
Class-A McDojos.

Avoid. Or if you like, go along and give us a report.

Negativecr33p
7/01/2005 7:41pm,
Heh, I doubt I'll receieve anymore pain than my wing chun instructor gives out. But two differant opinions out there. I was worried about it being mc dojoish since they are all over the country. http://www.teamroc.net/HomeFrameSet.html This particular schools website, I guess they have an impressive list of fighters, but they're all under royce gracie, not the school's instructor. Really don't wanna end up in another mc dojo. The tkd place I got stuck in a contract with sucked.

beka
7/01/2005 7:50pm,
Have you even looked at the rest of Bullshido?

BSDaemon
7/01/2005 7:57pm,
In BJJ sometimes you go up a step in your lineage to get your belt. At least that's how it's done at my school. So you get your belt from your instructor's master, not your instructor. For example, I'll be getting my blue belt from Roy Harris, even though I'm being taught by one of his black belts.

The Gracie school I went to was Total McDojo: Signup fees, mandatory contracts, costly tuition, belt test fees, exclucivity clause. Between that and it's lack of no-gi training, it wasn't the right school for me. But this place you're looking at seems awesome... Muay Thai, Wrestling, Vale tudo. If you can afford it, go for it! If you can't... Still go get a free intro class.

Shorinji Ki
7/01/2005 8:35pm,
In BJJ sometimes you go up a step in your lineage to get your belt. At least that's how it's done at my school. So you get your belt from your instructor's master, not your instructor. For example, I'll be getting my blue belt from Roy Harris, even though I'm being taught by one of his black belts.

The Gracie school I went to was Total McDojo: Signup fees, mandatory contracts, costly tuition, belt test fees, exclucivity clause. Between that and it's lack of no-gi training, it wasn't the right school for me. But this place you're looking at seems awesome... Muay Thai, Wrestling, Vale tudo. If you can afford it, go for it! If you can't... Still go get a free intro class.

GJJ is gi first and no-gi if you want to compete in NHB. Don't dis the gi stuff, as this is the way Helio and Carlos intended their JJ to be passed on. This fascination with ring fighting, or so-called MMAs is just another phase and fad like Ninjutsu(but with merit). When you start to get cervical spine fusions, ACL reconstructions, hip surgery, ankle reconstructions and punch drunk you'll rethink the logic behind training exclusively for the MMAs aspect.

Don't think that if you learn just Gracie SD at Gracie-Torrance (privates) that you won't know how to roll or use groundfighting in a more street-smart fashion.

This is where the real traditional GJJ is separated from the run-of-the-mill submission wrestling emphasized in many non-Gracie BJJ schools. It's not good to kick your own ass and pay for it too.

Bizzaro Root
7/01/2005 9:34pm,
GJJ is gi first and no-gi if you want to compete in NHB. Don't dis the gi stuff, as this is the way Helio and Carlos intended their JJ to be passed on. This fascination with ring fighting, or so-called MMAs is just another phase and fad like Ninjutsu(but with merit). When you start to get cervical spine fusions, ACL reconstructions, hip surgery, ankle reconstructions and punch drunk you'll rethink the logic behind training exclusively for the MMAs aspect.

Don't think that if you learn just Gracie SD at Gracie-Torrance (privates) that you won't know how to roll or use groundfighting in a more street-smart fashion.

This is where the real traditional GJJ is separated from the run-of-the-mill submission wrestling emphasized in many non-Gracie BJJ schools. It's not good to kick your own ass and pay for it too.

wow whered you come from.

BSDaemon
7/01/2005 10:02pm,
GJJ is gi first and no-gi if you want to compete in NHB. Don't dis the gi stuff, as this is the way Helio and Carlos intended their JJ to be passed on.
I want to compete in MMA so I went to a school that competes in MMA. Questions?

This fascination with ring fighting, or so-called MMAs is just another phase and fad like Ninjutsu(but with merit).
Hah, this is a great quote. You made it to my sig.... idiot.

When you start to get cervical spine fusions, ACL reconstructions, hip surgery, ankle reconstructions and punch drunk you'll rethink the logic behind training exclusively for the MMAs aspect.
You're right. That's it... I'm going back to playing pattycake in karate, enough of this live contact training! Actually screw that, I broke my finger playing pattycake, I better go back to sitting on the couch eating snacks.

Huh? Are you trying to say that gi-grappling isn't an inferior form of self defense compared to MMA?

This is where the real traditional GJJ is separated from the run-of-the-mill submission wrestling emphasized in many non-Gracie BJJ schools.
There is no such thing as a non-Gracie BJJ school. I like my little run of the mill CSW school.

It's not good to kick your own ass and pay for it too.
WTF are you on about? Do you honestly think it's bad to mix GJJ with kickboxing, wrestling, and Sombo then and take the GI's off?

Animosimony
7/01/2005 10:34pm,
The other day I sparred (no striking) twice with a guy with a 2nd dan in judo. I have no idea how much training you are required to have to achieve this rank, but I have 8 months of experience in submission wrestling (mostly self taught) and he tapped both times. He is taller and heavier than me, but I am pretty strong for my size. He did get the takedown both times and I'm sure that with a little training in no gi he would take me. He made several comments about how it was weird for him not to have the gi to use when sparring with me.

Sam Browning
7/01/2005 10:36pm,
Heh, I doubt I'll receieve anymore pain than my wing chun instructor gives out. But two differant opinions out there. I was worried about it being mc dojoish since they are all over the country. http://www.teamroc.net/HomeFrameSet.html This particular schools website, I guess they have an impressive list of fighters, but they're all under royce gracie, not the school's instructor. Really don't wanna end up in another mc dojo. The tkd place I got stuck in a contract with sucked.

I read the website. the guy is one of five BJJ black belts under Royce Gracie which means he is very skilled in terms of BJJ technique. From how he discribed himself he does not appear arrogant or full of himself. I obviously know nothing of his business practices but I would advise calling around and finding out what the normal pricing for martial arts instruction is in your area. If he is charging going rate or up to 50% more a month I think he is worthy of consideration. Just see what his business practices are. He has a very good pedigree.

Animosimony
7/01/2005 10:41pm,
On a side note, if you ever start training in mma, you will probably drop your Wing Chun and kick yourself for the time and money spent on it (I did).

Kistrael
7/01/2005 11:18pm,
You're right. That's it... I'm going back to playing pattycake in karate, enough of this live contact training! Actually screw that, I broke my finger playing pattycake, I better go back to sitting on the couch eating snacks.

Even that might be dangerous.

Cassius
7/02/2005 2:26pm,
There is no such thing as a non-Gracie BJJ school.

I have to disagree with this. I can think of several BJJ guys that disaffiliated from the Gracies quite a long time ago. I started training BJJ under Bruce Shepard (KhorneliusPraxx's current instructor), and he is not affiliated with the Gracies. He's under Marcelo Ferreira, who to my knowledge is also no longer affiliated with any of the Gracies. Ferreira received instruction from Francisco Mansor, who was under Helio, so technically I guess they can be linked to a Gracie, but that was quite a long time ago. Also, I'm currently under Caique, and I don't think he has a massive amount of love for the Gracies either.