PDA

View Full Version : Marx, Weber and Fusco (sp)... book suggestions...

Shadowdh
6/29/2005 5:36am,
Hi there guys... I will need to do some reading and revision before my Masters starts... can anyone suggest some good books/translations on or by these guys... I am pretty ok with Marx but Weber and Foucault (sp) are pretty unkown to me thus far... thanks...

Shadowdh
7/01/2005 5:31am,
Anyone help me at all...??

PoleFighter
7/01/2005 6:05am,
There are probably better places to ask these questions. I would recomend checking the litterature lists for courses that deal with these thinkers.

Shadowdh
7/01/2005 7:33am,
Okie... but as there seems to be quite a lot of people on this particular board who seem to be both well educated and read in this field I thought I might ask for some pointers... I have looked at amazon and in other boards but with the plethora of books and material out there I thought someone might lead me to some diamonds among the rough... cheers...

Matt Bernius
7/01/2005 8:54am,
Ok, couple suggestions. On Weber, I'd start with "The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism." It's one of the key canonical works and lays out Weber's view on the analysis of history. In it he also lays out his concept of "ideal type" which is one of his best known theories. Also consider Economy and Society and "Politics as a Vocation."

As far as Foucault, read the early material. By the end of his writing he was dying of AIDs and not all together with it. Because of that, the later writings don't make a lot of sense. That being said, the most canonical of his works are:
- Disipline and Punish
- History of Sexuality Part I
- And his book on clinics thats currently escaping my memory.

One note on Focault, depending on where you are studying they may not hold him to highly. Many prople seem to either worship him, or (a growing number including many former worshipers) feel that he was a flash in the pan. Personally I think he had some great ideas.

Where are you going to school?

- Matt

Shadowdh
7/01/2005 11:29am,
Thanks Matt... I am going to one of the colleges of the University of London... these were three that were mentioned at the interview I had so I thought I may read some of there stuff and get a start... cheers

Matt Bernius
7/01/2005 2:12pm,
My advice: Get the syllabus to your core courses and start to read. Beyond that work up to being able to parse (not necessarily read fully) approximately 800 - 1000 pages a week.

- Matt

Shadowdh
7/04/2005 2:02am,
Thanks again for the good advice... I have the outline of the syllabus (but no reading list yet) and as for reading... I have that covered...cheers mate..