PDA

View Full Version : Meshed martial arts? (cereal and milk quote)

9chambers
3/16/2003 5:14pm,
I said this on another thread ::

"The problem most people have is that they box one day and wrestle the other. They say they are "mixing" their martial arts but really its like they eat their dry cereal in the morning and drink the milk for lunch. You have to learn to mix a punch into that grappling set and throw or shoot on a guy once you've got him off balance with strikes. Really mix it. Don't just study both grappling and striking as individual arts."

QUESTION ::

How do you guys fuse the different systems that you study? Do you look for opportunities to strike when you are rolling or just concentrate on not getting subbed? When you box, do you ever grab, shove or take a guy down? What is your way of practicing the actual integration of the seperate arts that you study?

>> Perhaps it was because I had an inherent skill for the science and never deviated from natural principles. - Miyamoto Musashi 1643

Nihilanthic
3/16/2003 6:12pm,
This should be good...

I think that full blown gear I see guys wear in San Shou competition (grapple gloves, not boxing) would work good in a situation like that. Specifically...

Actually, a setting where its like a san shou match would be great sparring, so you can focus on clinch/takedown work stead of groundfighting. Then, later on you can focus on following it up with the ground fighting. Kinda like doing Judo style stuff then going full Jiujitsu...

Something else that would seem logical would be just clinch striking, then letting some takedowns/trows enter the mix. As soon as someone is getting dominated or thrown, start over. Also work on defence and fighting for dominant position. Cover tie-ups, not just the neck clinch/body clinch. Another thing would be constantly reminding the students by the instructor to not get "tunnel vision" - to throw shots when you can but still focus on getting the right position. Teach sneaky hooks/uppercuts/elbows along with knees and throws in a clinch setting.

Finally, while on the ground striking and how to handle it in guard (both sides) and a mount (both sides) should be done as well. A neck/chest protector and a motorcycle helmet could help with this.

All that is very dependent on equipment, and that you've done seperate striking/grappling sparring, AND technique work with drilling techs or hitting the bag/pads/drills.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
<John> I'd have to smack you sometime...

PizDoff
3/16/2003 9:07pm,
not bad, my end boss from HL friend (btw did i ever tell you i won a DM game in HL online using the crowbar? it was so funny!! at the end my record was 20-22 lol)

that is pretty much what i do, although emphasis is staying on your feet rather then having ..... on the ground

true, why only fight one style a day?

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.

Nihilanthic
3/16/2003 11:40pm,
I like milk on my cereal.

BTW - I haven't actually gotten to do any training yet. Personal crap. But, I'm moving to jacksonville Florida, and I hear the Peacocks's Academy of Martial Arts is quite nice. Many of their guys compete in MMA I hear...

Too bad I have to wait until JUNE to do it.

Dochter
3/17/2003 12:36pm,
Nihilanthic,

Does that mean you don't train in anything rightnow, haven't in awhile or never have?

**You're all a-holes**

Admin-Temp
3/17/2003 12:47pm,
That's a pretty good quote.

IMO, it's best if you learn all you can about milk, then find the right cereal, and then bring them together.

I train MMA, at least 2 days a week, sometimes 3-5. But I'm probably going to add in 2 days of pure stand up like Muay Thai or Boxing, to round me out. When I go to my MMA training, I'll put it all together.

Fighty McGee
3/17/2003 1:13pm,
There are lots of styles that cover striking plus grappling (at least stand-up), Hapkido, many styles of Kung Fu, Shorinji Kempo, Kuk Sul, Hwarang Do, Goju Ryu, Kali, etc. If you take one of these, it will help you understand the shift from a strike to a grab and vice-versa. Some kind of striking art (Muay Thai, Kyukoshin, etc.) plus some kind of ground grappling (BJJ, Judo) plus a transitional style(examples above) comprise cereal, milk, and bowl. Now for a spoon...

Omen Stone
3/17/2003 2:05pm,
What ever happen to egg's and bacon?

"A California man has been taken to court for stalking Anna Nicole Smith. The man has been charged with invasion of privacy, illegal trespassing, and having really bad taste."-Conan

Fighty McGee
3/17/2003 2:13pm,
I prefer biscuits-n-gravy.

Nihilanthic
3/17/2003 4:25pm,
I've had some lessons with a pretty eclectic Jiu Jitsu teacher, some sparring with a guy who got me into JJ in the first place... and a pile and a half of research I've done on my own time. I also got a punching bag for technique drilling, and I watch every fight be it in TV, a vid online, or IRL I can.

I WOULD have started training a LONG time ago but a tiny little legal problem involving how stupid the state of North Carolina is has required giving lawyers a ton of money. Thus, none left for training.

This summer it will be over, and I'll be living in Jacksonville Florida. Oh well...

9chambers
3/18/2003 4:54am,
"there is no spoon" - Neo

:P

Hwarang Do is pretty cool from what I've seen on video games. I don't think I have ever seen it demonstrated in real life. From what I can make out on Virtual Fighter 4 you grab a guy, pull his arm in and shove your elbow into his sternum .. or stuff like that .. I'd really like to find out what ACTUAL Hwarang Do looks like. Got any web pages on it? I'll look for some too.

UPDATE ::

Here are the best ones I found.

http://hwarangdo.com/hwarang.htm
http://www.hwarangdo.dk/

Edited by - 9chambers on March 18 2003 04:13:40

The Wastrel
3/18/2003 5:21am,
That's kooky stuff. Love the "mind control" pic on the second site, though "exercising" by letting a car run over you is pretty cool too.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**

Fighty McGee
3/18/2003 10:05am,
Hwarang Do is modified Hapkido. Joo Bang Lee and his bro studied Hapkido under the founder, Choi Yong Sul, and taught Hapkido for years before they "remembered" that they were also taught by a mysterious monk, Duam Sosa, "in the mountains" (is there any other place better?), and all of a sudden the techniques they were teaching became Hwarang Do, thousands of years in the making and handed down in a secret monk lineage to them only. Add mysticism, sprinkle heavily with Korean ninja magic and fake history...Voila! Hwanrang Do. Not calling it a bad fighting art, just a kinda overblown and mystic version of a good one.

PizDoff
3/18/2003 10:27am,
"Hwarang Do is pretty cool from what I've seen on video games."

lol, Wing Chun has that same move....

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed later.

Fighty McGee
3/18/2003 10:43am,
Yeah, it's always sweet to play some fighting vid, and see bits of your style.