PDA

View Full Version : Washing MMA gloves

lifetime
6/19/2005 4:19am,
I've got a pair of MMA gloves that I've been using, and they're getting really stinky from the dried up sweat. I was wondering how best to clean and wash them; there's a grip bar sewn into the glove and I'm not too sure about whether I'll damage anything by washing it. There's no way to remove the grip bar so far as I can tell.

Plus, the gloves are of a fairly cheap quality (you get what you pay for) so they aren't premium leather gloves or anything. Will I ruin the gloves if I soak them? I suppose a washing machine is out of the question?

The Gallery
6/19/2005 5:44am,
Personally I'd just get a soapy washcloth and wipe them down. :naka:

lifetime
6/19/2005 7:48am,
Tried that. Still stinks like a mofo.

Judah Maccabee
6/19/2005 11:56am,
Maybe wiping some isopropyl (70%) alcohol around the inside would help? It dries real quick and kills off bacteria?

Scrapper
6/19/2005 12:02pm,
If they have a grip bar, then they are proabably not mma gloves. Those grip bars are patently illegal in MMA competition. What I think you might have is a pair of bag gloves. A little lysol in water and a sponge will goa long way towards handling the smell. Dip the sponge inthe lysol and water then wring it out good. Stuff the sponge into the glove and let it sit for about 15-20 mins. Remove the sponge and let the glove air dry. It is important that the sponge well wrung out. You don't want fungus and mildew in the glove.

And by some quality gloves. You will be happier in the long run.

Poop Loops
6/19/2005 12:27pm,
I have a pair of these that I just took the bar out from. http://www.centuryfitness.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10051&productId=64978&langId=-1&product_parentId=13572&crumb=13501-13549&categoryId=13572&parent_category_rn=13550

They are safe to just throw into the washing machine, people have told me.

PL

daimyo
6/19/2005 12:44pm,
I usually clean my gloves with alcohol right after i use them. Never really had any problems, it does wear down the leather though.

kainekai
6/27/2005 6:29am,
Hi...

I may be of assistance. The leather for the gloves (Century, HARBINGER or Norris type) you purchased is grade C, low quality. Any wetness will soak into the fabric and degrade it because the leather is unfinished (not sealed with silicon). Using alcohol will sanitize it, but it will also degrade the fabric also. If you wash it with soap and water or use the cycle, the glove will be clean but will also ruin the overall durability.

If you're low on funds and want a pair bad. I will give you a pair of PRIDE FC, full contact ring regulation gloves (open hand ventilation with laces) in exchange for the rejected pair at no charge. Just e-mail me.

Judah Maccabee
6/28/2005 12:24pm,
So, basically, you can't wash gloves?

JohnnyCache
6/28/2005 12:30pm,
nah, it just wears them out. I used to wash my football gloves every other day or so, and I'd go through a pair in a season.

core
6/29/2005 11:38am,
Try sticking them in the deep freezer for a day or so. The cold will kill the germs and hence kill the smell.

Dunno how long the effect will last though. My gloves are brand new otherwise id test it myself.

Judah Maccabee
6/29/2005 12:06pm,
....freezing kills germs? I thought it preserves them.

JohnnyCache
6/29/2005 12:54pm,
The key is to wash them in a mild solution right after you use them, before they dry out and get horrible.

And, I suppose with MMA you want to get the ammonia or whatever all rinsed off the outside. . . for football, I didn't really care. . ..

KhorneliusPraxx
6/29/2005 1:13pm,
Throw them in the Washing Machine on it's longest cycle with appoximately 1 gallon of bleach and a quart of amonia. When the cycle is done, if you survived the noxious fumes, Throw them in the dryer on maximum heat for 2 hours.

KhorneliusPraxx
6/29/2005 1:13pm,
Then go buy some new gloves.

core
6/29/2005 5:39pm,
....freezing kills germs? I thought it preserves them.

Beats me, i did this to my snowboard gloeves that i washed over and over again with out getting rid of the smell. Worked like a charm.