PDA

View Full Version : My knee!

Poop Loops
6/17/2005 11:37am,
Ok, so last night I was squatting (a pathetic 70lbs, all I can do :( ). I do 5x5 on weight training, since I just started, and this is pretty basic. Anyway, 4th set, 3rd or 4th rep, I come up and I feel a sharp pain in my knee cap. Obviously I rack the weight and am done with leg work for the day. Today, I still feel some pain when I walk, but on the side of my knee. I can walk, run, and do bodyweight squats fine, but there is some pain when I do it. SO my question is, can I go train BJJ tonight? Will my leg just snap off? :(

PL

BSDaemon
6/17/2005 11:39am,
Damn that sucks.... Were you locking out your knees at the top of your squat?

BenwaMandelbrot
6/17/2005 11:40am,
I got the same thing (oddly enough from doing squats with iffy form). With mine it is hard to find the exact leg position to cause the pain, but it is definitely below and to the right (my right) of the kneecap in that hollow beneath it.

Damned if I know what caused it. It stopped hurting after about 4 days, was fine for two weeks, but then I reawoke it on Thursday. Not sure exactly how as I didn't feel anything go, but after rolling (doing lots of triangles) in BJJ it stiffened up and began to hurt quite a bit.

Still hurts 3 days later. And I haven't done squats since the first time I injured it, knowing that knee injuries don't take kindly to overload.

Poop Loops
6/17/2005 12:03pm,
I think I know what happened. Earlier in the day I had to move a 300lb treadmill. Well, I can't lift it, so I decided to leg press it. I kept sliding back instead of pushing it, so I only used one leg to do it, and grounded myself with the other. I pushed with my left leg. So I guess it was already worked a bit, and that's why it happened. But bad form could have been a cause.

Yes, I think I was locking out at the top. I didn't feel the pain when I was at the top, but when I was at the bottom, coming up.

I think I'll go to class, but if I feel it hurting, I'll just stop and watch for the rest of it.

PL

Poop Loops
6/17/2005 9:18pm,
Would Ibuprofen help in this case, or is time the only cure?

PL

lawdog
6/18/2005 9:52am,
Would Ibuprofen help in this case, or is time the only cure?

PL

It's hard to say without knowing what's actually going on. However, if you think you need an anti-inflammatory, I'd take Naprosyn (Alleve) before Ibuprofen. I think it's much more effective.