PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Actually Purchased "Shorthand Emptyhand"?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Samfoo
6/16/2005 5:56pm,
I was thinking about buying it and posting a review. If someone else is already in the process though I won't bother sending him anymore money.

Zendetta
6/16/2005 5:58pm,
Check the other thread.

Otaku Waffle
6/17/2005 6:19am,
In case you don't like reading epic novels: Afronaut bought 2 copies and sent them to Omega and Tiffer for review.

Gezere
6/17/2005 7:26am,
I was going to order it so the "YOU DIDN'T EVEN READ THE BOOK" excuse can't be used. But now I think I will bum it off Omega after he is done.

afronaut
6/17/2005 8:47am,
In fairness, Katana and Scrapper have next dibs, at least on one of the copies. But you lads may have to work that out for yourselves. I try not to mediate disputes between people who could grind me into a thick, red paste.

Scrapper
6/17/2005 8:53am,
*gives afro his best "Chong Li stare"*

Porrig
6/17/2005 9:33am,
I'd never throw well earned money in the direction of Phil. I'd rather puree my own testicles in a blender first.

lifetime
6/17/2005 9:36am,
Now that would be an excellent usage of well-earnt money.

RoninPimp
6/17/2005 9:42am,
I'd like to see this "pass around" copy. I'd ship it on to the next guy too.

Porrig
6/17/2005 9:49am,
If I'm not mistaken the thing is available electronically - a pdf I would assume. If somone could just circulate that?

lifetime
6/17/2005 9:51am,
We don't want to be accused of online piracy. Damages credibility. Passing around a copy of the book is more legally justifiable.

king of seals
6/17/2005 9:52am,
Aside copycat piracy...

Is quoting something against the law?

Is posting pictures of that book against the law?

Is making fun of that thing against the law?

Porrig
6/17/2005 9:55am,
We don't want to be accused of online piracy. Damages credibility. Passing around a copy of the book is more legally justifiable.

Yes, you're right. Good point.

JohnnyFive
6/17/2005 10:03am,
Can't actually find a link to buy it as an ebook on the booklocker.com site.

I did find a pdf of an excerpt which was typically overwrought.

lifetime
6/17/2005 10:11am,
Aside copycat piracy...

Is quoting something against the law?

Is posting pictures of that book against the law?

Is making fun of that thing against the law?

Depends. You might get a libel lawsuit (slander in print) if you're actively doing what we do to Phil, but there are very strict requirements that must be read so your average name-calling doesn't end up in court. Really differs from place to place.

Quoting generally must be referenced if the permission of the author cannot be obtained, but there is very rarely a problem with this. I doubt it's even illegal, but if it is, it's so rarely enforced that it's a non-issue. Just so we don't get into trouble, do reference and give credit to an author where you quote so you don't get accused of stealing intellectual property. With pictures, I have no idea. Might be the same deal as quoting. Generally these things have a great deal to do with how much value they have and how much detriment is incurred and so on and so forth. Small, minor things won't get you in trouble.

JohnnyFive
6/17/2005 10:18am,
I'm not a lawyer, but ...

Aren't United States libel laws much more relaxed when it comes to public figures, which Phil likes to say he is? And libel has to be false, right? If you say that his techniques suck and they do, it's not libel, eh?

Or you could take the Penn & Teller Bullsh*t tack ...