PDA

View Full Version : Who research in favour of HIIT..

Cullion
6/06/2005 5:10am,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4613073.stm

I don't think there's nothing new here, but it's nice to see more people agreeing that there's no need to hammer my knees and ankles on a boring half hour jog to stay in shape..

Nid
6/06/2005 5:26am,
People who are REALLY into endurance sports (in addition to their more-than-full-time executive corporate jobs) are NOT into it for exercise.

It's part of their basic personalities; to struggle, suffer, persevere, convince themselves everyone else is impressed, and get-off on the lot of it.

So, this won't fly with them. Nor will it fly with people who'll make up yet another excuse not to do it.

oldman_withers
6/06/2005 10:16am,
****! I can see this report being misread and spun in so many bad directions that it hurts my head. The findings seem sound, but the problem is that the general population (i.e. people who will only read the first paragraph anyway) will think this gives them an excuse to slack. "We only have to work out for 5 minutes today Bob, that means we can go eat fatburgers for the other hour and a half when our fatasses should be on the treadmill. "

Cullion
6/06/2005 11:42am,
I think you're both right. People who don't like _any_ form of exercise will skip the part where it says the exercise has to be intense, and people who like prolonged suffering will still think people who can't see the point in running or swimming until their lungs feel like they've inhaled pepper-spray are wussies.

However, I've met several people who've told me that a decent diet and MA training isn't enough for a healthy heart because of the stop/start bursts involved in most MA classes. They're convinced that for longevity, and to maintain 'energy levels' (I see where you're coming from with the corporate personality angle, Keinhaar) one needs to run or swim steadily for a total of several hours per week, in chunks of at least half and hour. Now I can point them at this.

Ronin
6/06/2005 12:19pm,
I think you're both right. People who don't like _any_ form of exercise will skip the part where it says the exercise has to be intense, and people who like prolonged suffering will still think people who can't see the point in running or swimming until their lungs feel like they've inhaled pepper-spray are wussies.

However, I've met several people who've told me that a decent diet and MA training isn't enough for a healthy heart because of the stop/start bursts involved in most MA classes. They're convinced that for longevity, and to maintain 'energy levels' (I see where you're coming from with the corporate personality angle, Keinhaar) one needs to run or swim steadily for a total of several hours per week, in chunks of at least half and hour. Now I can point them at this.

And who has several HOURS free to . for example, swim ??

There is GENERAL FITNESS and there is sport-specific fitness, and they will always be at odds with each other.

I can't out last a guy how runs for an hour everyday, but I don't TRAIN for that, and NO WAY that same guys is gonna out last me in a sparring match or bag work, but HE doesn't train for that.

As for general fitness, well, chance are, you need more strength in your everyday stuff than you need more cardio endurance.

Heck, last Saturday I finished building my deck from 9 am to 8:30 pm, and THAT was NOT cardio endurance !!

Still, IF you are ONLY interested in general fitness then, a balance combination of cardio AND strength training is needed.

Cullion
6/10/2005 3:51am,
And who has several HOURS free to . for example, swim ??
There is GENERAL FITNESS and there is sport-specific fitness, and they will always be at odds with each other.

I think these researchers are looking at it more in terms of longevity than one's ability to perform physical tasks.

You're in the canadian military aren't you Ronin ?

Do they still make you do tons of running and endurance training ?