PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody use pro-hormones?

Pages : [1] 2

Lohengrin
6/02/2005 2:28pm,
Two summers ago I was in the best shape of my life. I started working out with a good friend who knew a ton about fitness, and I managed to go from 148 lbs with about 12% body fat to 175 with no more than 7% in 2 months of working out 5 days a week. I got back to school after the summer and none of my friends even recognized me.
During that summer, I was using a legal pro-steroid called Mag-10. It was expensive, but it gave me the energy I needed to power through work-outs for 2 hours each day. Now that I'm back into Kung Fu, I'd like to use something similar to bulk up in preparation for a tournament in August. (before you ask, yes, I know for a fact that they do not test) Unfortunately, I found out to my dismay that Mag-10 has been banned, so I'm looking for an alternative.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm currently 6'1", 165 lbs. with no known allergies. Both my doctor and the personal trainers I've spoken to about this have no knowledge about using these supplements at all.

Ronin
6/02/2005 2:36pm,
Steroids and performan enhnacers are a crutch.
Don't use them, you'll be dependant on them both pysically and psychologically.

oldman_withers
6/02/2005 2:45pm,
Two words: small balls.

toothpaste100
6/02/2005 4:06pm,
Good luck having kids or producing your own testosterone for that matter.

Lohengrin
6/02/2005 4:50pm,
This reminds me of the time I brought up Kung Fu in a room full of Magic: The Gathering players and got dozens of informed opinions about it based entirely upon their repeat viewings of Jackie Chan movies.

I'll spare you the details of why the two posters above me sound remarkably ignorant. Suffice it to say that the stuff you shoot into your leg that completely fucks your hormone production up and makes you sterile and the stuff you buy from nutrition stores are NOT the same thing, and confusing the effects of the two is a ridiculous juxtaposition to anyone who knows what he's talking about.

Darth_Ronin- thanks for your input.

Now if anyone can actually answer my question, it would be really really cool.

The Reaper
6/02/2005 4:55pm,
Like Darth_Ronin said, don't get hooked on performance enhancers like that, sure it's alot easier to get really good results but you won't have the same satisfaction as if you did it all on your own. If I were you and I really wanted supplements just use Creatine and Whey Protein supplements, those are all you really need.

Lohengrin
6/02/2005 5:00pm,
Got another question for you. Why is Whey Protein considered "better" than, say, egg or soy protein?

The Reaper
6/02/2005 5:06pm,
Because it's the fastest absorbing protein there is, so if you take it right after you lift, your body will absorb it quicker than egg or soy.

Mediocrates
6/02/2005 6:07pm,
Suffice it to say that the stuff you shoot into your leg that completely fucks your hormone production up and makes you sterile and the stuff you buy from nutrition stores are NOT the same thing, and confusing the effects of the two is a ridiculous juxtaposition to anyone who knows what he's talking about.

This is true.
The former actually works, but has significant risks.
The latter is largely ineffective, but only costs you money.

The problem is that there really is no middle ground. A substance either adjusts hormone levels or it doesn't. Prohormone supplementation is based on the flawed notion that the body will crank out a given hormone so long as it has a big pile of what-could-eventually-be-said-hormone. It is akin to saying that consuming protein will cause growth of muscle tissue since muscle tissue is made from protein. The body is still controlling the rate of production.

Judah Maccabee
6/02/2005 6:19pm,
Got another question for you. Why is Whey Protein considered "better" than, say, egg or soy protein?

The bioavailability argument was already brought up.

Egg protein is a very good protein, but the big issue is that preparing, cooking, and digesting solid eggs takes longer than an already powdered whey shake.

Another reason is that whey protein powders usually have casein in them too. As explained here ( http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi16.htm ), casein is a slowly digested protein that helps control catabolism (muscle breakdown), especially in the case of sleep.

Shadowdh
6/03/2005 3:34am,
Prohormones are generally not as hot as they are advertised... Steroids work but then have the bad press... There is ALOT of misconception about AAS they dont make you sterile (I have two kids to negate that tired old gem), they do cause testicular shrinkage in some but that is reversible (ie after the cycle they revert) and there can be some other side effects which affect people differently and with varying degrees... also I wouldnt label them a crutch but thats mho... I do though advocate serious research and thought before embarking on what is called the dark side of bbing... read, read and then read some more...

oldman_withers
6/03/2005 5:34am,
I still call small balls.

Jekyll
6/03/2005 6:25am,
What I've heard is that pro-hormones tend to distort your body's natural horomone production much more then steriod use does, simply because thats what they were designed to do and that they offer lower returns then steriods.

They existed simply to exploit a hole in legislation which has since been patched.

Having said that this is all 3rd hand information and I've never really looked into it.

Ronin
6/03/2005 6:38am,
Bottom line, either you do it YOURSELF or you have pharmaceutical help.

Which do you want?

Shadowdh
6/03/2005 8:04am,
Either way (with or without help) you are doing it yourself Darth... gear does not replace hard work and dedication... AAS should be used to enhance a regime not build one... if you dont work hard then you dont grow... its not a magic pill that will turn you into Arnie... sorry GOVERNOR Arnie over night...

Oldman... yes some people do get ball shrinking but they go back to normal size after cessation of AAS use...

Ronin
6/03/2005 8:14am,
If you use Performance enhancing drugs ( they are called that for a reason), whilel you are certainly still lifting the weigths and doing the exercises yourself, you KNOW that the gains are NOT yours alone, deep down you know it, its a pyschological crutch, I know, I have seen it.

And when you cycle off of them like you have to, I have seen the effects of that too.

It is NOT worth it.