PDA

View Full Version : To those of you who are competitive fighters...

Pages : [1] 2

feedback
6/02/2005 2:00am,
So tonight, my trainer told me he thinks I should definately fight competitively this summer. Starting with fighting at the Roseland in about 2 months. My first thought is that this is too short notice. But my second is that I don't feel complelled to do it and it has nothing to do with my plan in life. I didn't get into MMA with an interest in competing, and I still don't think it's what I want to do- but I can't deny the fact that it's definately going to be a learning experiance. How many of you have taken the plunge, and what can you tell me about it? I'm still in college, and I will be working in addition to training part time this summer. Is it worth it, if you don't plan on going anywhere with it?

Astrosmurf
6/02/2005 2:17am,
I have not done any MMA competitions but a few years ago I did some sanshou. I would say that it was a very valuable experience. Getting up on the mat meeting some guy you never seen before and fighting in front of an audience feels very different from sparring with your regular partners at the club.
Now I have no time to fight in competitions (work, wife, child on the way) so I am very glad that I took the chance when I could. So my advice: Try it. You probably will feel more regret if you look at yourself in a few years and say "If only I had done it..." than if you go for it and lose.

MrMcFu
6/02/2005 2:59am,
Just try it once. I got better from competition. When I actually used to do it . . .

feedback
6/02/2005 3:56am,
I know it's probably the right thing, I'm just nervous about fighting in front of a shitload of people. Are you allowed to be drunk during the fight?

Astrosmurf
6/02/2005 4:08am,
I remember that I felt more nervousness from being watched by all the people than from facing down an unknown opponent. To feel that extra nervousness and adrenaline is one important part of the experience.

DunDunna
6/02/2005 4:44am,
i havent fought mma competitively but fought san shou a few times and had a blast.

if youre not into it then dont do it. your hearts gotta be into it 100% or youre toast. if you go into it, dont worry about the crowd they arent gonna hit you.

MrMcFu
6/02/2005 4:53am,
I know it's probably the right thing, I'm just nervous about fighting in front of a shitload of people. Are you allowed to be drunk during the fight?

Once the fight starts, it goes by unbelievably quickly. When it is over, it seems like it took about 3 seconds.

Revolution Fist
6/02/2005 11:09am,
If you don't "feel" it don't do it. Focus on school and keeping your brain healthy. The guy you potentially face may be "feeling it" a lot and be hungry and may want to make this his life. You can be equally skilled but he'll want it more.

At the same time, it's a great experience. Nothing like showing up to a fight and dealing with the nerves and excitement and it all just flushing away as soon as you raise your fists..... win or lose you always learn .... usually more when you lose, too.

Bizzaro Root
6/02/2005 11:16am,

man i hope your joking about driking before the fight........cause that would be a great idea

Yrkoon9
6/02/2005 11:36am,
If you aren't sure, don't do it. Don't let anyone pressure you into something.

I don't know anything about you, your training regimine, or you personally. All I can tell from your post is that you are uncertain and scared. You can be scared, but you cannot be uncertain. You go to fight for a reason. If you do not know that reason yet then don't show up.

jnp
6/02/2005 12:14pm,
If you don't "feel" it don't do it. Focus on school and keeping your brain healthy. The guy you potentially face may be "feeling it" a lot and be hungry and may want to make this his life. You can be equally skilled but he'll want it more.
Competition will teach you a lot about yourself. Just don't get out there and be hesitant if you decide to compete. That can earn you a pounding real quick.

Phrost
6/02/2005 12:28pm,
Once the fight starts, it goes by unbelievably quickly. When it is over, it seems like it took about 3 seconds.

Or 3 hours, which was what it seemed like in my case. (lol 1st round TKO)

Either way, you won't be aware of anything other than the guy in the ring with you, so I wouldn't worry about the crowd.

Knightmare
6/02/2005 12:43pm,
So tonight, my trainer told me he thinks I should definately fight competitively this summer. Starting with fighting at the Roseland in about 2 months. My first thought is that this is too short notice. But my second is that I don't feel complelled to do it and it has nothing to do with my plan in life. I didn't get into MMA with an interest in competing, and I still don't think it's what I want to do- but I can't deny the fact that it's definately going to be a learning experiance. How many of you have taken the plunge, and what can you tell me about it? I'm still in college, and I will be working in addition to training part time this summer. Is it worth it, if you don't plan on going anywhere with it?

I wish I had 2 months to prepare for my upcoming one, instead I got about 23 days.

Gringo Grande
6/02/2005 12:52pm,
It's ok KM, I'll kneecap the SOB when no one is looking during pre-fight.

Gringo Grande

Knightmare
6/02/2005 1:18pm,
I think I will be fine, found out today they have 2 minute rounds with 1 minute rest periods. Which is extremely light to how I have been trained.

Transcendent Sunchips
6/02/2005 4:17pm,

If the fight doctor suspects that you're under the influence of something, he won't clear you to fight. I had a fight last summer and one of the competitors was high. The doc wouldn't let him fight.