PDA

View Full Version : Bear Fighting: Not Just For Judoka Anymore!

Pages : [1] 2

Phrost
5/30/2005 10:41pm,
Hiker uses martial arts to fight off grizzly bear
May 30, 2005

(CP)

Luckily, the bear didn’t have his black belt.

An Alberta man on a Bible retreat successfully used his Brazilian martial arts training on the weekend to fend off a charging grizzly.

Lyle Simpson was hiking through the bush with friends west of Calgary on Saturday when the bruin started chasing him, he said.

“It just burst out of the bush, charging right away. There wasn’t much time to think,” said Simpson, 32, who added there was a cub nearby.

The hikers quickly ran in different directions, but as Simpson was trying to escape, he tripped and landed on his back.

“I put my arm up as the bear was coming on down towards me. The bear tried to bite my arm.”

That’s when Simpson’s training instincts took over and he kicked the bear in the face.

“I think I stunned it just enough. I really think it saved me from a mauling.”

The friends quickly re-grouped and made the 15-minute trek back to Whispering Pines Bible camp.

Simpson needed six stitches to close the wound from the bear’s bite and has a painful gash on his hip.

“My shorts look like they’ve been cut with scissors.,” he said.

http://www.fftimes.com/index.php/3/2005-05-30/21415

IzzyDaHedgehog
5/30/2005 10:58pm,
That face kick from the guard was the same thing Renzo used to KO Taktarov, if I remember correctly. ZHOOO-ZHITSU!!!!

_Mick_
5/30/2005 11:03pm,
i was hoping to hear he got a guard sweep in on the bear, or maybe a RnC

P-Dub
5/30/2005 11:36pm,
I saw an interview with the guy on the news. Apparently it bit his hand, so he crescent kicked it.

Lord Of Chaos
5/30/2005 11:41pm,
This guy is lucky as hell to have survived this attack. Cool that fighting the bear actually helped him. I always heard that if a grizzly attacks you you should "play dead", and that blak bears are the only bears you should try to fight.

PizDoff
5/31/2005 12:35am,
That wouldn't work in the city.

oldman_withers
5/31/2005 1:02am,
He should have grabbed him by his leather bondage gear and kicked him in the cockring. Oh, wrong kind of bear.

DCS
5/31/2005 2:36am,
When i read about the kicking, i thougth

CAPOEIRA!!!11

paper-samurai
5/31/2005 4:24am,
he was on his back,not on his hands

Edge
5/31/2005 7:56am,
I saw it on the news as well.

p-dub is correct.

DCS
5/31/2005 8:11am,
he was on his back,not on his hands

Yes, probably the Brazilian MA the guy practices is BJJ but, how are you sure?. Reading the article again i can't find any reference to BJJ.

Maybe he has the secret anti-grapple techniques of capoeira :toothy9:

Edge
5/31/2005 8:23am,
Thats funny, on t.v. they didn't say anything about him laying down or brazillian martial arts.

Although, he did demonstrate his standing crescent kick for the camera.

Phrost
5/31/2005 8:59am,
If someone wants to dig a little deeper and find out what art the guy actually studies, we'll update the icon/story appropriately.

dramaboy
5/31/2005 9:06am,
Message for the bears:
Don't mess with Canadians on a Bible retreat!

Tomas

PizDoff
5/31/2005 9:08am,
Anyone seen KungFuColin recently?

Edit: Haha!
KungFuColin!
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/member.php?u=4220

LLL
5/31/2005 9:24am,
Bears suck at MAs... Isn't this, like the 4th bear who got beaten?