PDA

View Full Version : Writing a review on a local dojo

Cakemaster
5/26/2005 4:12pm,
To all who read this: good evening / morning / afternoon.

Right off the bat: while I'm not qualified in any way to expertly critique a dojo, I'd like to give my opinion, and maybe a general overview of the Kyokushin dojo I've been training at for just over a month now - I know a couple of friends are reading this site, and at the very least it'll be useful for reference. Does anyone have any problems with me offering a newbie's perspective on a local dojo?

JKDChick
5/26/2005 4:31pm,
Just try to be clear and precise in what you're talking about.

Go for it.

Cakemaster
5/26/2005 4:35pm,
Thanks :) I'll try not to dribble too much - I'll get something drafted and post it here. I'm still new to the whole article system.

Mr. Mantis
5/26/2005 4:56pm,
It can only be a N00b's perspective, cuz you haven't been there long enough to form an intelligent opinion. Unless you have trained in that style for a couple of years, which I get the feeling you have not.

Though your article may not provide reliable detail, the experience may gather some feedback for your personal MA growth.

CanucKyokushin
5/26/2005 4:56pm,
I am intrigued my young friend.See if you can add a website or internet news mentioning this DOJO.

Pics are cool!

Cakemaster
5/26/2005 5:10pm,
Mr_Mantis: I freely admit that I've only trained there for about a month and a half, so I'm not an expert by any means. It's more for reference - for myself, and for anyone in or around Cardiff who'd like a look at what I think's a pretty good club.

Canuckyokushin: there's a link to the club website at the very end of the article I'm about to post.

Everyone in general: please tell me if I'm making big, stupid mistakes. I'm still tired from tonight's session. And without further ado...

Cakemaster
5/26/2005 5:14pm,
Overview of Cardiff Kyokushinkai
--------------------------------

Instructors
-----------

1 x 4th Dan BB (Sensei Terry Prescott), 4 x 1st Dan+ Sempais

History
-----------

The club's been going for 20+ years; it was at a different venue before moving to its current location in April, I think it was..

A newly-built community centre:

Maes Y Coed Community Centre,
Jubilee Gardens,
off Maes Y Coed Road,
Heath,
Cardiff
CF14 4XR

Cost
-----------

£2 per 2 hour session for juniors, £3 per 2 hour session for seniors (adults, really)
(So.. £24 a month, and just shy of £290 a year? Good deal, I feel.)

Gear
-----------

From what I've seen, pretty good. What look like focus mitts, bags for kicking - stuff to cover kicks and punches, and a room full of assorted stuff. On the personal side: you're encouraged to get a set of shinpads and fingerless gloves ASAP. Which leads nicely to..

Sessions
-----------

The meat of the beast: we train twice a week, Tues and Thurs, from 6.30pm - 8.30pm.
Juniors and seniors train together - for sparring, the kids and adults stay separate for
what should be obvious reasons.

The lesson breakdown changes, so I'll use tonight's as a very rough example:

6.30 - 6.40 - warmup
6.40 - 7.25 - kata (we have a grading coming up soon)
7.25 - 7.30 - juniors who want to leave can do so
7.30 - 8.10 - renraku, different techniques
8.10 - 8.30 - sparring (roughly 90 sec rounds, with 30 sec rest time / switching partner time)

My view
-----------

For me at least, it's a damn good workout. First couple of sessions, I was gassing out pretty badly. I kept plugging away, and I have to say I've noticed changes in my slothlike form already. Credit to all the instructors, they work on getting the basics down first before moving on - they really grasp the fact that without solid foundations, all advanced techniques will suffer.
Warmup wise, it has me sweating, but not exhausted - still got plenty of go to carry on.
Drillwise, plenty of reps to make sure you get it down (as mentioned above). Sparring, plenty of variety here - they encourage you to spar with higher grades, but at the same time don't pulverise you. They will use their whole repertoire, but won't go full force unless you tell them you want to.

All in all: good fun, friendly bunch, no egomaniacs, and having a ball doing it.

More information can be found here: http://groups.msn.com/CardiffKyokushinkaiKarate/cardiffclubinformation.msnw

CanucKyokushin
5/26/2005 6:24pm,
Itís nice to see that even in such a remote location. The training in this Kyokushin Dojo is intense. Yes 290 pounds sounds very reasonable. Thatís about 580$ Canadian. I pay 380$ Canadian a year at my school. The Dojo's in my area offer roughly the same costs.

Even though you do 2 classes a week They are 2 hours. So it's still not bad.

But your sparring is at it soul be.90 sec's sparring is good. Because semi-contact fights is at that time and full-contact fights are longer.

"All in all: good fun, friendly bunch, no egomaniacs, and having a ball doing itĒ. Thatís a fair assessment compared with other Dojo's around the world.

And what about Sempai Rebecca Price ?She seems cute?

Cakemaster
5/26/2005 6:26pm,
She's a friendly person, and a great teacher. She's recently back from fighting in the Spanish Kyo Open, too.

As for the cute remark, I dare not say anything that can be used against me later. :new_smile

Hannibal
5/27/2005 2:52am,
As a rule you can't go wrong with Kyokushin. The standard is mostly quite high across the board.

If they spar hard and train hard - then its all good. Stick with it if you enjoy it.