PDA

View Full Version : Would this be concidered a McDojo?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

KhorneliusPraxx
5/19/2005 10:38am,
This group is close to my house. I know some people that train there. Is it a McDojo?

"Students will be taught the fundamentals of jujutsu, karate, kung-fu, and weaponry, focusing on traditional techniques and concepts."
"In this era of aerobic kickboxing, sport karate and point jujutsu, classical martial arts instruction is a rarity. It is our goal to offer Old World martial arts training, with its histories, philosophies, and moral influences intact."

I know that some here would say, "What does history, philosophies, and moral influences have to do with kicking ass." I also know that any place that trains in traditional martial arts is a red flag for some of you BUT, even though I have never been there, I don't believe this is a McDojo because...
"Students receive training, in a Christian environment, for little or no charge, understanding that their continuation in the program depends on their attendance, effort and attitudeŚnot their pocketbooks. The unpaid instructors teach because they believe in the value of their arts."
-and-
"Students will be charged $25 per month but no student will be turned away for inability to pay."

So, if the instructors are unpaid, what is the "non-mandetory" fee for? Well, since it is not a business they have to rent space to train. Currently they are in a Salvation Army Gymnasium but I heard they've used what ever space they could find in the past, church basements and the like. I've been told that what ever money left after that goes to group outings and even additional charitable contributions to the place that allows them to train.

Check out there site.

http://www.bushidopath.com/

Edge
5/19/2005 10:43am,
I am in a club which has almost the exact financial situation. Some are not turned away because they don't have the money, and we use a church basement as our dojo. It's definately not a McDojo situation. 25$ per month is dirt cheap.

If they believe in traditional training and jesus christ who can blame them? However, as long as they don't force christian beliefs down the students throat then I don't see it as a problem. It's nice that they separate themselves from point sparring, aerobic karate etc., as long as they don't preach that they are t3h instant deadly.

Ronin
5/19/2005 10:47am,
Not a McDojo, no.
And teaching MA should be taught with SOME sort of moral guide to as to when to apply those teachings and to what degree to apply them.

Locu5
5/19/2005 11:47am,
who are you and what did you with darth ronin??

And no, not McDojo. Good for them; I hope they implement it well (but you know how screwy people make things at times) :).

JKDChick
5/19/2005 11:55am,
You do realise the odds are this is just an unorthodox recruiting tactic for whatever religious organization they represent?

Not saying it's bad training, but the fact that they mention "Christian values" makes the whole thing a clusterfuck as far as I'm concerned. It'll be brainwashing in some way -- which is also why they aren't charging.

As to the martial arts, it might or might not be a McDojo. I still wouldn't train there or recommend anyone else train there. If you aren't moral when you start training, you won't be afterwards.

KhorneliusPraxx
5/19/2005 12:15pm,
This isn't a new group, they've been doing this for years.
I also think the whole Christian Values thing is to let everyone know that it is family/female friendly and it wasn't bunch of jocks standing around yell profanities and be degrading to women. That's what I think anyways. Co-worker use to train with them but he's at lunch, I'll ask him when he gets back. I doubt very seriously that they were having prayer services and getting baptized in the ohio river while wearing their gi.

Locu5
5/19/2005 12:22pm,
I am not sure how it is in Canada, but at least in the south USA it is not uncommon for businesses to advertise themselves as having "Christian values", being "Christian owned", etc as a way of trying to denote the way they approach business. That is not to say it is always correct or that they do not fall short.

Feryk
5/19/2005 12:27pm,
Not so much in my part of Canada, although if we were to have a "bible belt", I'd be in it.

Most don't do that sort of thing, however, there are a lot of professional services that advertise in Christian periodicals, etc. and mention their Christian values.

The cynic in me thinks that a lot of this is just marketing, but there are a few of these guys I've met who take it very seriously. And, IMO, they are pretty good at what they do.

KhorneliusPraxx
5/19/2005 12:29pm,
I just asked. Co-worker says that it is like I said. It's not a prayer group or anything. Just his way of letting people know how to behave. He said that if somebody cursed that he would probably be in for a beat down. If somebody had multiple instances of ass-hole-ishness they would be extricated from the building and told not to return.

PirateJon
5/19/2005 1:21pm,
You do realise the odds are this is just an unorthodox recruiting tactic for whatever religious organization they represent?

Not saying it's bad training, but the fact that they mention "Christian values" makes the whole thing a clusterfuck as far as I'm concerned.

I concur. WTF is "christian MA" anyway? How much practicing does it take to turn the other cheek?

JKDChick
5/19/2005 1:26pm,
It's still adding mystical bullshit to martial arts. You don't need to say "we have Christian Values" to be a clean gym without swearing.

I just have no patience with this kind of ****.

Chuan
5/19/2005 1:32pm,
It is a ggod thing you don't live in the South JKDChick or you would have gone crazy by now. Christian Karate and TKD schools are everywhere. :XXpuke:

It's still adding mystical bullshit to martial arts. You don't need to say "we have Christian Values" to be a clean gym without swearing.

I just have no patience with this kind of ****.

KhorneliusPraxx
5/19/2005 1:37pm,
Something to think about...with the simple 4 words "in a Christian environment" a certain type of person is scared away even though the school is not a religious based group.

Dochter
5/19/2005 1:38pm,
This about sums it up for me:
http://www.bushidopath.com/Fotos/NormMain2.jpg

Dochter
5/19/2005 1:40pm,
Any indication of sparring, besides the ruthless slaughter of watermelons?

KhorneliusPraxx
5/19/2005 1:42pm,
I study Jun Fan Gung Fu and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, I know nothing about traditional martial arts history or philosophy. Therefore, I can't really rip on what I don't know.