PDA

View Full Version : Do Not F*ck with Brazilian RPG'ers!!

tkdan28
5/18/2005 9:02pm,
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/world/11649731.htm

SAO PAULO, Brazil - A 21-year-old man and his parents were killed after the man agreed to be murdered along with his family if he lost a murder-mystery role-playing game, local media reported Saturday.

Authorities said the man and two others were playing characters who might be murdered depending on the outcome of the game. After Thiago Andrade Guedes lost, he allegedly allowed the other men to carry out the killings, just as happened in the game.

Guedes and his parents were killed on April 26 after being drugged and tied to a bed, police said. Their bodies were found nine days later at the home in the town of Guarapari, 440 miles northeast of Sao Paulo.

Mayderson de Vargas Mendes and Ronald Ribeiro Rodrigues confessed and were charged with murder, police said

Wounded Ronin
5/18/2005 10:38pm,
Jack Chick would approve.

Zendetta
5/18/2005 11:26pm,
Jack Chick would approve.

He probably wrote the piece himself - has this story appeared in any other newspapers?

pauli
5/19/2005 8:04am,
it's an ap piece, so... yes.

WingChun Lawyer
5/19/2005 9:00am,
I read those news on a reputable newspaper here (I do live in São Paulo, by the way). As far as you can trust a newspaper, things happened that way.

Mind you, that is the second time a murder is attributed to RPG players in Brazil, and in the first time it was later proved that RPG players had nothing to do with the event. Still, I would take such news with a grain of salt.

Transcendent Sunchips
5/19/2005 9:10am,
That's why you should never neglect the side quests. As annoying and time consuming as they are, they usually give you super weapons or super skills that makes beating the game much easier.

Deadchef
5/19/2005 9:53am,
I wonder if they'll ever make a reality show out of this.

JKDChick
5/19/2005 11:14am,
Oh, god, that's an unholy idea. A gamer reality show.

WingChun Lawyer
5/19/2005 11:34am,
Oh, god, that's an unholy idea. A gamer reality show.

Not much reality to speak of, to begin with...

Deadchef
5/19/2005 1:28pm,
The loser could be murdered live on national tv for the final episode.

chaosexmachina
5/19/2005 2:37pm,
Gamer reality show? Who wants to watch a bunch of geeks sit around a table drinking Mountain Dew?

Chronomorte
5/19/2005 2:42pm,
It would be a boring show:

"I'll drink an ale and slap the serving wench on the butt."
"You guys want some Fritos?"
"I just rolled four ones on different dice"
"Look, you're not in a bar, you're in a cave"
"I lost my pencil"

etc.. etc...

WingChun Lawyer
5/19/2005 2:44pm,
It would be a boring show:

"I'll drink an ale and slap the serving wench on the butt."
"You guys want some Fritos?"
"I just rolled four ones on different dice"
"Look, you're not in a bar, you're in a cave"
"I lost my pencil"

etc.. etc...

Not to mention the ever favorite "cast the spell or you´ll take the bus home tonight asshole".

Camus
5/19/2005 3:57pm,
Not the best source for it, but I remember a friend telling me about this chinese guy killing over a sword in a game.

Online RPG theft leads to murder
All News - 2nd Apr 05 - Philip Morton

A Chinese man has been stabbed to death in a row over a sword in the online game Legends of Mir 3. According to the China Daily, Shanghai gamer Qiu Chengwei stabbed to death fellow player Zhu Caoyuan when he discovered he had sold a "dragon sabre" that he had been loaned. Mr Chengwei only got the powerful virtual weapon shortly before it was sold for 7,200 yuan (£460). Mr Chengwei told police about the theft before the attack, but the authorities said that the weapon was not real property.

A veteran player of the game, Mr Chengwei only got hold of the powerful sword in February. Although Mr Caoyuan said he would hand over the money from the sale of the sword, Mr Chengwei lost patience and attacked him in real life. The China Daily said Mr Caoyuan was stabbed with "great force" in the left chest and killed.

Unlike South Korea, China has no section of its police force investigating in-game criminal activities. Mr Chengwei has given himself up to police and confessed to "intentional injury" but it's unclear what he has been charged with.

link (http://www.thunderboltgames.com/news/viewnews.php?nid=1103)

Chris.B
5/20/2005 12:38pm,
Dosn't actually killing the person kind of ruin the whole point of it being a "game"? Why not just do the real thing...ooh I could just imagine Counter-Strike.

Gumby
5/20/2005 1:08pm,
That's why you should never neglect the side quests. As annoying and time consuming as they are, they usually give you super weapons or super skills that makes beating the game much easier.

This man speaks the truth- you never know when that extra +1 to attack can come in handy.

Not to mention that the most powerfull spells can often only be obtained through secret quests.