PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay for MA classes/membership?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Wolfwood
5/13/2005 5:44pm,
I am interested in seeing the rates, and I wonder if "McDojos" will charge higher/much lower than average.

The MT gym near me charges $99 a month for unlimited classes. There are 6 MT classes a week (MT beginner and MT mixed are what I'd take). I heard this is about average, but unfortunately, it's still very pricey for me (working student). I'm hoping there's a cheaper, reliable MA center nearby, so I want input on how much you all pay.

My friend takes MT from a personal trainer, but I think his rates might actually be cheaper than 99/mo. Then again, that friend of mine is very rich so he might not even care about the cost and the trainer could be ridiculously expensive.
-A

_Mick_
5/13/2005 5:46pm,
$80 per month judo/hapkido, and the boxing gym is completely free.

SciFiMatt
5/13/2005 5:48pm,
73 a month for as many classes as I want plus some private lessons from time to time.

The classes a week include 2 classes on kickboxing/free sparring/conditioning, 2 classes on form work, and 2 classes which are mixed.

Knightmare
5/13/2005 5:51pm,
I paid for one year at my gym and that was $800, so it equates to roughly 66.00 bucks a month for unlimited classes.

Quikfeet509
5/13/2005 6:09pm,
$95 a month for boxing, focus mitts, submission wrestling, kickboxing, and MT. but i paid up front and it was $800 for the year.

for lifting, i just joined a new gold's gym with 65000 square feet of heaven for $50 a month.

drouillm
5/13/2005 6:55pm,
$40 per month Canadian for 3 classes per week. Classes are 2 hrs long with one hour afterwards that you can use for whatever you want (practicing forms, sparring, etc). Don't think this guy is in it for profit..

kevinbjjplayer
5/13/2005 7:28pm,
55 bucks a month BJJ 2 times a week

MALibrarian
5/13/2005 7:39pm,
Our school is free for people associated with the college and 20 per 3month term for all non-college folks. (3-4 classes per week)

halfcut
5/13/2005 8:57pm,
I pay $75 a month at my MMA gym for unlimited classes and $40 a month for BJJ which I attend twice a week.

Locu5
5/13/2005 9:29pm,
Typically you will likely find boxing gyms and judo schools in your area are your cheapest bets. While some variance occurs according to geography, $50-$100 is not uncommon or unreasonable for quality instruction.

I would, however, make sure you look for any hidden "costs" (equipment, membership dues, belt fees, etc) and note the effect on your overall budget. For instance some arts cost maybe $50 a month directly, but over the course of the year you spend another $50-$400 on belts, sparring gear, etc, making the monthly fee more like $52-$80. You also may be able to work out some alternative, creative arrangements for payments and barter in some situations.

pauli
5/13/2005 9:32pm,
my karate class is free, other than the incidental costs (gis at wholesale, $10 a belt, i just picked us up a new first aid kit, we split big purchases like mats). bjj is - for now - similar (heck, we're learning from a pair of blue belts), but will cost money once our proper instructor gets back from brazil. i believe he is letting old students keep the old rate of $50/mo, and upping it for new students. twice weekly classes for both arts.

Strong Machine
5/13/2005 9:41pm,
I charge 60 a month for unlimited.And we're open 7 days a week.
I'd like to increase the dues but frankly, I'm scared of my students.

Wolfwood
5/13/2005 10:03pm,
I wish I had access to some of the places you guys spar. So far it does seem like I'd be paying the most (for quality instructions, most definitely).

For me, like I said, $99 a month with unlimited classes, but there's only 6 classes I can take a week. In addition to that, however, my class mandates I must bring my own: Muay Thai shorts, gloves, shin guards, mouthguard, cup and handwraps. Total, that runs me an additional like $200-300. So for a year, that'd cost me around $1400. $1400 a year is heftily out of my price range.

With a discount for signing up a friend and enrolling for six months, upfront I would pay around $700-800, including all required gear, which is around 116 per month in the least for the best discount I can get. So far, from looking at what you guys are posting, it seems like this is sort of pricey and perhaps I should look into other gyms (or even other MAs). What do you recommend?
-A

feedback
5/13/2005 10:08pm,
Oregon Pound Jiujitsu is about 25$ a term, and it's about the same for my uni's mma club.

Knightmare
5/13/2005 10:12pm,
I wish I had access to some of the places you guys spar. So far it does seem like I'd be paying the most (for quality instructions, most definitely).

For me, like I said, $99 a month with unlimited classes, but there's only 6 classes I can take a week. In addition to that, however, my class mandates I must bring my own: Muay Thai shorts, gloves, shin guards, mouthguard, cup and handwraps. Total, that runs me an additional like $200-300. So for a year, that'd cost me around $1400. $1400 a year is heftily out of my price range.

With a discount for signing up a friend and enrolling for six months, upfront I would pay around $700-800, including all required gear, which is around 116 per month in the least for the best discount I can get. So far, from looking at what you guys are posting, it seems like this is sort of pricey and perhaps I should look into other gyms (or even other MAs). What do you recommend?
-A

I would recommend you not sign up for 6 months up front. Try a week or even a month and see if you like it. 600-700 is alot of money to be paying up front with no gaurantee that you'll be wanting to do it for that long.

And like you said, look around. Have multiple options and then compare and contrast them.

Wolfwood
5/13/2005 10:24pm,
I would recommend you not sign up for 6 months up front. Try a week or even a month and see if you like it. 600-700 is alot of money to be paying up front with no gaurantee that you'll be wanting to do it for that long.

And like you said, look around. Have multiple options and then compare and contrast them.

The thing is, the 6 months payment is the cheapest one. The gym doesn't allow weekly payments, only monthly payments, and those monthly payments are $99. By using the six month plan, I'd save $60.

But it's a good point - I might not like MT. So what I really want to do is find a much cheaper alternative and test it out, before I decide to plunk down a good 700 on a MA that I might end up disliking.
-A