PDA

View Full Version : Any Bullshido in Ottawa, Canada?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Jaric
5/10/2005 11:29am,
Lo all,

This is my first post on the site, but I have been lurking in the background reading
posts for some time. First off I'd like to say what a great site. Okay my question is
I live in Ottawa, and practice Wing Chung here (yeah yeah laugh away). I know there are
a lot of MA schools in the area, and I was wondering if anyone knows which schools are
BS or McDojo schools. I dont want to by accident send a friend there or hopefully none
of my friends go to one. The only one that I can think of that looks and sounds BS is
this one: www.fangshendo.com/

I have known ppl that went to the school and said it sucked, and I am not a big fan of
guys that start their own style.

Just to be fair here is the site for my school. Mine seems very legit to me but you be the
judge.

www.heritagemartialarts.ca/

Thanks for all your input,

Jaric

tekki420
5/10/2005 12:05pm,
dont you think its your job to go and find out yourself?

Feryk
5/10/2005 12:09pm,
There are others on this site who have been to that fengshendo place. I can't remember what they said about it, but you might want to do some searching.

As for your dojo, what do you want me to say?

The WC section is very clear about lineage, they don't make totally absurd claims, so it's better than some. However, the same school teaches Chito Kai Karate, and Jujitsu. If you're questioning WC (which is natural), why not check out the other classes in the same school?

halfcut
5/10/2005 12:13pm,
If you live in Ottawa and want to see a good school why don't you train with Igor Yakimov? He's fuckin awesome at sambo. www.groundfighter.com/content/pageid/24.html

Jaric
5/10/2005 12:13pm,
Ill do a search on the site for more Feng Shen Do stuff. Thanks for the heads up. Oh I don't doubt my schools Wing Chung, just wanted to post what I did and where just to let people know where im coming from. I've seen my schools Karate....I can't really judge it since ive never done Karate before. Looks alright to me, just not my cup of tea. Have yet to see the JJ though. I guess I should since I have some xp in it ( i did my JJ in another school a few years ago).

jamboo
5/14/2005 8:02am,
what's up man, I'm in Ottawa too. I couldn't tell you if Fang Shen Do is bullshido or not. I met 2 of the sifus once at a 24 hour relay last summer and they seemed hardcore, and taught me some useful ****, but apparently it's EXTREMELY expensive once you get into it, and you have to pay extra for sparring!
whatever you do, don't even try Therien Jiu-Jitsu and Kickboxing. well, you can try it if you want, but it will on'y make you mad because they will take your money so you can learn what you would learn on your first day of a judo class (break falls, major hip throw) and what you would learn on your first day of a karate class (horse stance....pfff). i posted a rant on Therien a while ago.

there are MMA schools in Ottawa. I went to Ronin MMA last week and it was awesome. i tried out a BJJ class, haven't tried muay thai yet, but once I get all my crap sorted out with work I'm gonna head back there and train this summer!

kevinbjjplayer
5/14/2005 11:38am,
Canada? I mean seriously you guys.

jamboo
5/14/2005 11:56am,

ahh, just as I suspected. you're a post whore.

joined the forum today, and posted 18 times. please, for the sake of everyone, get off the computer and do something

kevinbjjplayer
5/14/2005 12:22pm,
screw you you you you.....! Judo whore!

Jaric
5/17/2005 11:38am,
what's up man, I'm in Ottawa too. I couldn't tell you if Fang Shen Do is bullshido or not. I met 2 of the sifus once at a 24 hour relay last summer and they seemed hardcore, and taught me some useful ****, but apparently it's EXTREMELY expensive once you get into it, and you have to pay extra for sparring!
whatever you do, don't even try Therien Jiu-Jitsu and Kickboxing. well, you can try it if you want, but it will on'y make you mad because they will take your money so you can learn what you would learn on your first day of a judo class (break falls, major hip throw) and what you would learn on your first day of a karate class (horse stance....pfff). i posted a rant on Therien a while ago.

there are MMA schools in Ottawa. I went to Ronin MMA last week and it was awesome. i tried out a BJJ class, haven't tried muay thai yet, but once I get all my crap sorted out with work I'm gonna head back there and train this summer!

Yeah I hear Fang is brutal money wise....pay for Everything....and their webistes kinda freaKy......gives me the willeys....

Yeah I hear Therien just prac's for tournies and medals. The MT school in Ottawa is supposed to be great. So you do Judo eh? Thats cool. Judo and JJJ are pretty damned close to each other. Hey so I got a question, and I mean no insult by it. Is Judo a sport or is it a MA? Do they teach you how to fight in the ring, or use it to defend yourself on the street?

Oh and since your the only one to reply aside from that posting whore, looks like us two are the only ones in Ottawa on this sight :rolleyes:

Feryk
5/17/2005 11:49am,

Hell, coming from Alabama, I'm surprised you can even spell Canada.

Now, go back to cruising your family reunion for a date. :badgrin:

jamboo
5/17/2005 4:26pm,
Yeah I hear Fang is brutal money wise....pay for Everything....and their webistes kinda freaKy......gives me the willeys....

Yeah I hear Therien just prac's for tournies and medals. The MT school in Ottawa is supposed to be great. So you do Judo eh? Thats cool. Judo and JJJ are pretty damned close to each other. Hey so I got a question, and I mean no insult by it. Is Judo a sport or is it a MA? Do they teach you how to fight in the ring, or use it to defend yourself on the street?

Oh and since your the only one to reply aside from that posting whore, looks like us two are the only ones in Ottawa on this sight :rolleyes:

Therien is a horrible place. Unless you want to spend thousands of dollars to think you can defend yourself...you'd seriously be much better off with TKD.
you're from Ottawa too, eh? do you train?

Judo was made as a more practical form of JJJ, so it can be practiced with full-intensity sparring without causing a lot of injuries and stuff, and to defeat the rival jiu-jitsu schools in Japan (which it did...handily). Judo is a martial art and a sport. It was watered down a bit when it became an Olympic sport (it used to include leg locks), but it is definately still an effective martial art. BJJ was derived from Judo...BJJ = Basically Just Judo with no takedowns and more groundwork, but depending on what judo club you are at, they might do a lot of groundwork. We also do leg takedowns (single leg and double leg). Most of the throws can adapt to no-gi training, but if you're on the street and the person is wearing a jacket or even a shirt, you can grab that. If you want to know more about the history of judo, or really anything about judo, check out www.judoinfo.com It's a wicked site
Also, whether they prepare you for the ring/street or just for tournaments depends entirely on the club. My club does all of the above, except we only really focus on tournament stuff right before a tournament. (my club isn't in Ottawa though, it's at my university in Halifax).

Cdnronin
5/17/2005 8:26pm,
Jamboo, in your first post when your crying about how yer a fucking innocent getting ripped off in the big city, you state",Keep in mind at this time I was relatively new to martial arts with the exception of my 2 years of judo when I was a kid"

Now above you say" Also, whether they prepare you for the ring/street or just for tournaments depends entirely on the club. My club does all of the above, except we only really focus on tournament stuff right before a tournament. (my club isn't in Ottawa though, it's at my university in Halifax)."

So I gotta ask, were you gifted as a child, or do I detect something not right?

jamboo
5/18/2005 4:19pm,
Jamboo, in your first post when your crying about how yer a fucking innocent getting ripped off in the big city, you state",Keep in mind at this time I was relatively new to martial arts with the exception of my 2 years of judo when I was a kid"

Now above you say" Also, whether they prepare you for the ring/street or just for tournaments depends entirely on the club. My club does all of the above, except we only really focus on tournament stuff right before a tournament. (my club isn't in Ottawa though, it's at my university in Halifax)."

So I gotta ask, were you gifted as a child, or do I detect something not right?

i did judo at a boys and girls club in PEI when I was a kid...in like grade 5 and 6. then I stopped cause it got boring (probably because the dojo sucked...there were only about 4 people there, all considerably smaller than me).
i got back into judo in January of this year with my university's club.

i hope that clears things up with you so I can be "a fucking innocent" again. now i'm going to my room to cry

hmeboy
5/18/2005 6:32pm,

Actually, surprisingly enough..there are quite a few people from Ottawa on here I've noticed (including myself)

Although this is a thread on "Bullshido in Ottawa", I gotta throw in a shameless plug for my school Ronin; One of the only schools in North America sending TWO competitors to Abu Dhabi this year :-D

http://www.ronin-mma.com

Good Luck Rima and Karim.

Peace
Mark Loft
Ronin MMA

Jaric
5/19/2005 10:07am,
Yeah I have heard of Ronin. I am not a big fan of MMA but I hear its a good club. Its funny you say that there are a lot of Ottawa people on here.....maybe ill ask a broader question on whos from ottawa without asking for Bullshido clubs. And to answer the prior question, I am currently practicing Wing Chung at Heritage Martial Arts. Good club, and I like it. So come out, come out all you Ottawa people. Tell us what club you go to and if its a good school.

Jaric