PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much BJJ

Pages : [1] 2

Deadchef
5/05/2005 9:05am,
I started with the Serra academy on April 20th. Since starting, I have not been able to think about anything else. I have been going and getting beat up almost every day. This week for instance, I attended mon,tues, wed and I m planning on attending today as well as going to a three hour seminar on Saturday. I feel a little soreness in my knees,shoulders, and elbows but nothing too bad. I absolutely love bjj, but I don't want to go overboard and get injured.

How often do you guys train and what do you think is a good ballance between training/resting. I am also trying to throw in a kettle bell strength/endurance/conditioning routine 3 times a week.

What do you think?

I've also been ignoring stand-up training. I have not been to Krav class since starting bjj.

Te No Kage!
5/05/2005 9:36am,
I'd say do it to it, as much as your body will handle, I think you'll know how much you can personally handle

the harder you train, the better you'll get

Yrkoon9
5/05/2005 10:01am,
When I did Judo one of my old instructors told me something.

I said I like to be thrown by people who are experts because it feels like you are flying. I said, you know I could train 7 days a week!

He looked at me and said very seriously and said......Mmmmmm. Judo sickness.

I said, Judo sickness?!?! What is that?

He replied....too many throws.

What does this have to do with your BJJ addiction? Probably nothing.

dramaboy
5/05/2005 10:13am,
I started with the Serra academy on April 20th. Since starting, I have not been able to think about anything else. I have been going and getting beat up almost every day. This week for instance, I attended mon,tues, wed and I m planning on attending today as well as going to a three hour seminar on Saturday. I feel a little soreness in my knees,shoulders, and elbows but nothing too bad. I absolutely love bjj, but I don't want to go overboard and get injured.

How often do you guys train and what do you think is a good ballance between training/resting. I am also trying to throw in a kettle bell strength/endurance/conditioning routine 3 times a week.

What do you think?

It's really not the workout itself that limits you, it's the injuries. As long as you tap early and not play ego games, you can roll every day.
I wish I could roll 4 times a week, if I make it 3 times I'm really happy. It's mostly twice a week which sucks.

I've also been ignoring stand-up training. I have not been to Krav class since starting bjj.

erhm... I TOLD YOU SO!!...
:))

But I'm sure you can get SOME standup done with Matt, it's not like he's a novice to standup:))))

Glad you like it.

Tomas

Aesopian
5/05/2005 10:26am,
I would say you should do as much BJJ as you can, but watch out so you don't overtrain your body and get injured and sick, which will limit you training more than just taking a week off to rest and heal.

Deadchef
5/05/2005 10:32am,
erhm... I TOLD YOU SO!!...
:))

But I'm sure you can get SOME standup done with Matt, it's not like he's a novice to standup:))))

Glad you like it.

Tomas

I know...I know...everyone told me so.

Matt, Nick, Drago and half their train standup with Ray Longo. It is like their sister gym. I'm sure I'll be attending.

TylerDurden
5/05/2005 10:33am,
Just listen to your body. If you are overtraining you will know. If you have an injury make sure it's taken care of and plan your training accordingly. I am usually in 3 times a week, two BJJ classes and one Judo. But a friend of mine trains 6 days a week and has no problems injury wise.

Gumby
5/05/2005 11:19am,

What do you think?

I've run myself into overtraining a few times (one of them being right now actually).

First off, when I first started, I used to feel the same soreness (i believe everyone who's done BJJ has) but that was most likely because you're using muscles you havent on the past (with as much intensity). As someone else said, listen to your body, but be sure to know the difference between being tired and being exhausted.

That being said, you can still train if you're tired, so I'd advise you to learn how to train lightly (i.e. become a more technical fighter than one that relies on strength). If you're real tired, train your escapes and your defense, regardless of how hard your training partner is going. I personally believe this is the key to being able to train more often.

The kettlebell classes should kick your ass, so make sure you give yourself rest between that too. Three times a week seems pretty excessive- I would try to rest or train very light on the days you do both kettlebells and BJJ.

As far as your standup training, thats not my area, but I dont do much standup work now simply because I'd have to sacrifice some BJJ to do it.

BSDaemon
5/05/2005 11:22am,
Ive found my personal limit to be around eight hours a week (5 classes) but that is pushing it.

EternalRage
5/05/2005 12:29pm,
Since you are doing Krav, BJJ, conditioning workout - it seems you are hit with BJJ fever (I was goin in alot months ago when I was super excited). Once the initial happy period dies down you will know how to balance it out.

And you must find balance. In your training, and in the Force. You see, the Force is like duct tape. There is a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

If you are confused, watch Jet Li's "The One."

3|DI$0|)3 III 0|\| /\/\4Y 197|-|!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Deadchef
5/05/2005 5:22pm,
Just listen to your body. I.

My Body" What the **** are you doing to me. No...Noo. Don't go to class again. Why can't we go have Happy Meals at Mcdonalds instead. I liked you much better when you were a fat couch potato not motivated to do anything. **** BJJ"

Gumby
5/05/2005 6:16pm,
He said listen to your body, not your stomach :spam4:

bushi51
5/05/2005 10:11pm,
Its time to cut back when you find that you try to pass your wife's guard.

:love6:

Deadchef
5/06/2005 9:31pm,
I fukin jinxed myself. :mumum: Fractured a rib today while rolling. It only hurts when pressure is applied to a specific area. I can still train, just no rolling.

Man I'm pissed.

sry bout the rant

Camus
5/06/2005 9:36pm,
How did that happen?

Sorry to hear that man

Deadchef
5/06/2005 9:49pm,
Practicing guard passes with a really good blue belt. He was in my guard and fighting to break it. I was pulling on his collar trying to pull him closer to me. He pushed down on my chest to make more space and break my legs open. When he did this, I heard/felt a POP! Let out a YELP! I stood up and felt fine. Good enough to try again. As soon as he put pressure on my chest again, I fellt like i'd been stabbed. We stopped, I changed and went to the emergency room.

I'm depressed.