PDA

View Full Version : I tried to get a job at a mcdojo (Tae Bahk Do)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Andrew WA
5/04/2005 9:20am,
I was hoping to get a job at this MA school. It talked about a lot of self defense and adult classes. He also had a childrens program and I thought I would be good for that. When I came I just asked if he was hiring instructors or needed one and he said "Well its interesting you asked, because we are a pretty big school. We already have 4 instructors in waiting." IM like whoah...but I found out they are all his students and about 13 years old and 2nd and 3rd degree black belts.
He told me to come and check out his class so I did. I showed up in my TKD dobak and everyone else had like Tshirts and karate pants with a belt. I was really out of place. Then we hardly did ANy warm ups or streching and then he played techno music during it and I was like "Oh crap!" Then he started talking about the XMA and wanting to get a team together to learn airiel flips!!!!!
He told me this was an adult sparring class and everyone was like 10 years old to like 15 and then there was like 2 older men who were in their 30's. So then we spar and he says "Oh you didnt bring your gear so you will have to shadow spar. No contact!" So then im like how is this shadow sparring when we have another student sparring with me? Anyway I did not have any pads and they had the typical point sparring gettup and we did point sparring.
I was throwing all kinds of kicks and punches and he was like "You really need to work on your hands. You must do olympic sparring. The hands is the fallacy of Taekwondo. I tried to explain that I spar with submissions, grappling as well as kicking and punches and I do punch to the head but he interupted me and went on about is point sparring. This guy was really big and husky and he was way slower then me. but I went super easy with everyone. If he so much as touched me anywhere he would consider it a point and back off. When I did some back kicks or spin kicks he was like you see you shouldnt do that because im not spinning so I can stick my hand out and you run into it. HAHAHA! I run into his extended fist? YEAH OKAY!! I could have taken everyone there.
he also showed some lame self defense thing. He had a kid student hold him against the wall and pretend to have a knife and was explaining a technique from BB Magazine but he said that it is not going to work and was explaining why the magazine showed an inneffective technique. Then he tried to show a technique he would do and his was even stupider. I was like "uhhhhh okay so HOW is that going to keep the knife from stabbing you???"
When he showed this technique his students just standed around, this was less then five minutes at the end of class and NONE of his students partnered up to practice it. He then just told everyone class was over.
His ads talk about how he has adult self defense classes and how its effective and his system is based on Taekwondo and Tangsoodo. He says he is a 5th dan in TSD. So why was he bashing TKD then? I found out that the system is a hybrid that he created himself. Dude the guy isnt good enought o make up his own MA!!! Plus doing that is stupid anyway!!
He also told me that the forms they do are WAY more difficult then the traditional forms. So he had a15 year old girl 2nd degree black belt in his school show the 2nd degree form. All it was was a punch of horrible jump kicks in every direction and it was a longer form and the girl had horrible technique and I would be embarrassed to show her off as a good student. Basically his forms are like XMA crap. Just a lot of jump roun kicks and double single leg kicks and horrible hand striking. His forms had no application except to try to look cool which didnt work out for him.

Anyway, I really was hoping to get a job there just to make money but I decided I had to much integrity to work there and teach such crap. So now im gunna look somewhere else. Hopefully there will be another mcdojo where all I do is watch kids and not have to teach them crap.

So if you ever hear of a Tae Bak Do you know its crap!

Andrew WA
5/04/2005 9:28am,
http://www.blackbeltacademy.org/index.cfm?

This is what was on his website. Its a bunch of lies he wont teach any ground fighting. he says he has a judo class but its just only for kids!

The Future of Martial Arts

Tae Bahk Do is a complete system of martial arts that will teach you traditional martial arts skills and cutting edge martial arts tactics. Tae Bahk Do is based on the traditional Korean martial arts of Tae Kown Do and Tang Soo Do. In addition to these two popular martial arts, students will also learn ground fighting, pressure points, joint locks, weapon training, and a variety of other martial arts skills. Tae Bahk Do is a complete system of martial arts that will prepare students to defend themselves in any situation.

Martial arts are continually evolving. A hundred years from now, martial arts will be different than they are today. Martial artists will know more because of the all the experiences learned by the previous generation. This is the beauty of Tae Bahk Do! Tae Bahk Do is rooted in tradition, but as a part of that tradition Tae Bahk Do will always teach the most modern and up to date martial arts skills and tactics.

relytjj
5/04/2005 9:32am,
Hopefully there will be another mcdojo where all I do is watch kids and not have to teach them crap.

By not have to teach them crap do you mean that you can be lazy and not teach them anything worthwhile or that you don't have to teach crap as in bullshit XMA stuff?

TylerDurden
5/04/2005 9:32am,
Oh sweet irony!

relytjj
5/04/2005 9:37am,
I thought the same thing depending on if he really wants to be a lazy ass and just baby sit kids while wearing a v-neck dobok or if he wants to genuinely teach kids something that isn't crap. I have a feeling its the former, not the latter.

Poop Loops
5/04/2005 9:48am,
Oh sweet irony!

My thoughts exactly.

PL

The Kai
5/04/2005 10:16am,
Look at the website
there is not a anyone who is really old enough to study the martial arts. Baby sitting with belt ranks

1bad65
5/04/2005 10:51am,
Just like the Bakido guys down here in Austin the belt ranks on those kids were rediculous. A 2nd Dan in middle school and a 3rd Dan in high school.

Andrew WA
5/04/2005 11:49am,
By not have to teach them crap do you mean that you can be lazy and not teach them anything worthwhile or that you don't have to teach crap as in bullshit XMA stuff?

If I can get a job in a mcdojo it means when no one is doing a class I can at least use the kicking bags and practice myself and strech and all that.
Also I would rather teach at an MA day care where I dont do jack squat except play games with kids, then be respinsible for teaching them martial arts that is not at all going to help them defend themselves. And yeah I will do it solely for the money because I need it bad. I would rather work there then at some stupid wal mart store or a fast food joint.

Andrew WA
5/04/2005 11:53am,
Dude baby sitting kids is easy and fun. Its like like im saying "These techniques wil save your life here do the special dragon form kids!"

All I will do is watch the kids. And yes I want to be a lazy ass and get paid for it.

There are no really good MA schools here, and if there is they dont need to hire instructors. Mcdojos are like mcdonalds they are constantly hiring new people and they pay decent money for a college student like me. But if the instructor forces me to teach them crap and claim it as some special MA and isnt upfront about what he is teaching then ill not do it. But if he is upfront and says he is mainly doing his school for kids and doesnt try to pass it off as some effective art then I dont see a problem with it. You would probably do the same thing if you were offered a job at one with a good amount of pay. It doesnt mean crap, its just you get some cash for your college studies. You can train yourself with your other friends after work.

TylerDurden
5/04/2005 12:46pm,
That's kind of assuming many around here would take TKD. Most would not as their time is too valuable.

It is Fake
5/04/2005 12:59pm,
Please, quit being mean and explain the Irony to these guys PL and TD. It is just wrong you let them believe the irony is about the"website." :eusa_doh:

Poop Loops
5/04/2005 1:44pm,
Very well. It's ironic because you are making fun of a style that can barely be called a martial art that is used more to baby sit little kids than to kick ass. Something TKD is notorious for. Of course, you are obviously different, you have "the real TKD" where only one-hit kills score points and you still need 3 points to win a match.

The Hapkido I have seen is similar, in that it claims to be uber deadly, but people don't even spar. That's irrelevent, though, as I was only talking about Andrew anyway.

PL

relytjj
5/04/2005 2:16pm,
You've basically said that you'd rather be part of the problem (and get paid to be lazy, no problem with that) than the solution on a website that is dedicted to reducing and removing the problem. Wonderful.

It is Fake
5/04/2005 2:21pm,
There you go. Thank you guys. I just didn't want him thinking the website was Ironic.

Poop Loops
5/04/2005 2:31pm,
You've basically said that you'd rather be part of the problem (and get paid to be lazy, no problem with that) than the solution on a website that is dedicted to reducing and removing the problem. Wonderful.

And you're part of the problem on a website dedicated to removing the problem.

PL