PDA

View Full Version : high percentage technique

Pages : [1] 2

tekki420
5/03/2005 9:00pm,
I was wondering if everyone wouldnt mind listing what they believe is the top 10 high percentage techniques in each of the three areas 1)Striking 2)Grappling 3) Throws/Takedowns in MMA use.

Scrapper
5/03/2005 9:04pm,
Striking: jab

Grappling: (by grappling I assume you mean submissions) Rear naked choke.

Throws/Takedowns: Single leg

Those are the workhorses. After that it gets real subjective.

jawdy
5/03/2005 9:23pm,
Striking - Id agree with the Jab, although im a big fan of the Jab-to-hook, that ive learnt in Kickboxing

Grappling/Submission - Again, the rear naked choke is without a doubt one of the most affective, but im also a fan of the Guillotine.

Take Down - A method known in my JJ circles as the Head-Hip-Knee, which is a standing head-lock to hip throw style to ground, where your opponent hits the floor, and VERY soon after you hit them. Works every time my 215lbs frame hits my opponents.

Meex
5/03/2005 11:14pm,
I was wondering if everyone wouldnt mind listing what they believe is the top 10 high percentage techniques in each of the three areas 1)Striking 2)Grappling 3) Throws/Takedowns in MMA use.
1) Since jab is out there, I'll say shinkick. . .it's always there, (done more like
a jab with your forward leg- can be used on knees, and hips, too).
2) I'll go with armbar, although I've been seeing a lot of triangles lately.

3) Since t3H deadly single leg is out there, I'll take hip-throw for $100.

`~/

saku39
5/03/2005 11:45pm,
on top of the others:
cross, leg kick
triangle
i consider a sprawl as a takedown when followed up correctly

tekki420
5/04/2005 12:33am,
Thanks for replying guys, so far we have:

Striking
1. Jab
2. Cross
3. Hook
4. Leg Kick (im assuming basic Round house ? )

Grappling
1. RNC
2. Armbar
3. Triangle

Takedown/Throws
1. Single Leg
2. Head-hip-Knee (I believe there is a more suitable name for this anyone? )
3. Sprawl

Ronin
5/04/2005 6:28am,
By high percentage do you mean those that work on a reg basis, or those that work on everyone, regardless of size and skill ?

tekki420
5/04/2005 12:55pm,
That work on a regular basis I suppose, but wouldnt techniques that work on everyone be the highest percentage regardless ? Therefore would end up being listed anyhow.

Beatdown Richie
5/04/2005 2:03pm,
By high percentage do you mean those that work on a reg basis, or those that work on everyone, regardless of size and skill ?
If you have three techniques that work on everyone, regardless of size and skill - what the hell are you still doing wasting time on a discussion forum?

My favorites:

jab

uchi-mata

triangle

J-Lau
5/04/2005 2:08pm,
1)Striking 2)Grappling 3) Throws/Takedown

Jab, Triangle, Single leg

Yrkoon9
5/04/2005 2:14pm,
Regardless of personal favorites[...

Someone did a breakdown of the highest percentage submission finishes in MMA. RNC was the highest % by far. Triangle and armbar were the next highest.

I would definately like to see a breakdown of the striking %'s. I will go against the consensus and say that hooks are the highest. Why? Because striking on the ground usually lands many more blows than standing. Most of those are short hooks. Even standing, you don't see a lot of jabs land when guys are swinging for the fence as they normally are. So those two factors, striking on the ground and haymakers IMO constitute the highest percentages.

Takedowns are probably very close between single and double legs.

_Mick_
5/04/2005 3:28pm,
in mma double leg seems to be more prominent than single leg takedowns. there are also a lot of trips from the clench.

for subs, i would think knee bar and heel hook would be in the top 10 too.

Ronin
5/05/2005 6:44am,
Regardless of personal favorites[...

Someone did a breakdown of the highest percentage submission finishes in MMA. RNC was the highest % by far. Triangle and armbar were the next highest.

I would definately like to see a breakdown of the striking %'s. I will go against the consensus and say that hooks are the highest. Why? Because striking on the ground usually lands many more blows than standing. Most of those are short hooks. Even standing, you don't see a lot of jabs land when guys are swinging for the fence as they normally are. So those two factors, striking on the ground and haymakers IMO constitute the highest percentages.

Takedowns are probably very close between single and double legs.

That was yours truly.

Ronin
5/05/2005 6:51am,
Highest percentage moves in terms of being able to be applied sucessfully:

Striking - Jab and low round kick
Takedowns - Single leg takedown
Throws - Sweep from behind
Choke- RNC
arm lock - arm bar
Leg lock - ankle lock

Highest percentage of "fight enders" or "most effective in terms of results":

Striking - cross / hook - round kick to the head
Takedowns / throws - suplex, single leg WITH trip.
Choke - RNC
Arm lock - arm bar, kimura
Leg lock - heel hook

Ryno
5/05/2005 7:36pm,
As far as fight enders for striking:

Almost every time I've seen someone throw an Overhand Right who really knows how to do it, it almost invariably results in a KO. A bit uncommon, but devastating when thrown correctly.

Omega Supreme
5/05/2005 8:35pm,
Round house kick
MM ankle lock
Back suplex.