PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice from people who have been in the Army/defence forces

Benjamin
5/03/2005 8:10am,
I'm thinking abot joining the Australian Army, and im interested in hearing about any experiance anyones had in the armed services, positive or negaitve.

punchingdummy
5/03/2005 9:57am,
I'm thinking abot joining the Australian Army, and im interested in hearing about any experiance anyones had in the armed services, positive or negaitve.

For me, it was one of the best experiences in my life. But it is a very personal choice and it is not for everyone.

Why do you want to go in?
What branch?
What kind of specialty are you going to learn?
Do you have a guarantee for that training?
How do you deal with structure and stress?

Benjamin
5/03/2005 6:02pm,
Im trying to get in as a general service infantry officer (Lieutenant) in the Army.
Its something i thought about doing after high school, you get to work outside travel a bit see things that you otherwise wouldnt. I just figured it woudl be something i would regret not doing.

Hawkeye
5/05/2005 7:56pm,
PM Senshi. He should be able to square you away if he's feeling generous.

punchingdummy
5/05/2005 8:57pm,
PM Senshi. He should be able to square you away if he's feeling generous.

Hawkeye - good to see you back you grumpy old bastard. Where you at these days?

Phrost
5/05/2005 9:05pm,
Don't know much about the Oz army, outside of the motto of their special forces: "He who dares, wins".

Generally it's the best choice for a young man without a specific plan for his life. Just make smart decisions and you'll set yourself up for real success once you get out.

Hawkeye
5/08/2005 6:58pm,
Hawkeye - good to see you back you grumpy old bastard. Where you at these days?

Fort fucking Campbell, bro. Two weeks before I was about to leave for 173rd I called in a favor to the prince of darkness to change my contract to Fort Campbell. It's good to be back at a familiar place.

Problem is, everyday I spend at Campbell I get weaker.

Everyday they spend squatting in the desert they get stronger.

Wounded Ronin
5/08/2005 8:49pm,
I'm glad you're alright. I'd gotten worried about you when you said you were going back into military service.

Hannibal
5/12/2005 5:04am,
I have never served in the military myself but I have a few friends who have.

Basically, it depends on which branch you are going into.

If its the Army - be tough. That is all I can say. Its become a bit more "caring and sharing" now than in previous years. Yet the Army is still filled with its fair share of head cases who love blood,pain and lots of fighting.

It can be a hard life or a fruitful one, depending on what type pf person you are. Military life is not for everyone. So if you cannot stick up for yourself forget the military. The Airforce is a bit different since they tend to attract the more 'intellectual' types. But as far as the Navy and Army go ( Army especially) if your a softy then don't bother joining. There will be benefits but they won't come easy.

PO9
5/12/2005 4:37pm,
I have never practicied in a dojo myself but I have a few friends who have.

Basically, it depends on whichstyle you are going into.

If its the TKD - be tough. That is all I can say. Its become a bit more "caring and sharing" now than in previous years. Yet TKD is still filled with its fair share of head cases who love blood,pain and lots of fighting.

It can be a hard life or a fruitful one, depending on what type pf person you are. Martial arts are not for everyone, just take me for example. So if you cannot stick up for yourself just annoyingly post on this website. The Wing Chun is a bit different since they tend to attract the more 'intellectual' types. But as far as Phil Elmore and TKD go ( TKD especially) if your a softy then don't bother joining. There will be benefits but they won't come easy. Of course, I speak from my ass

FIXED

PO9
5/12/2005 4:38pm,
It wasn't until this post of his that I finally understood why you guys rip on Hannibal so much.

Poop Loops
5/12/2005 4:51pm,
I expected him to post his friend's point of view, or how he sees it has impacted his friend. Nope. His friend is in the military, making Hannibal a total expert on all military affairs.

PL