PDA

View Full Version : Supporting the troops

garbanzo
4/29/2005 8:12am,
A few questions based on te(V)plar's "I hope this is fake" thread.

What does it mean to support the troops?

Is it just a matter of hoping no one gets killed or maimed?

Or putting a sticker on your car?

Or a pin on your clothing?

Ronin
4/29/2005 8:22am,
You support them in your letters saying you wan tthem home in one piece.
You support them when they come home and MAKE SURE they have what they need.
You support them by NOT letting the goverment **** them over, and yes, the goverment will try.
You support the troops by understanding that its their job.
You support them for hating and trying to fix a world in which they HAVE to do their job.
You support them as best you can.

That's all any soldier can ever ask of any civilan.

Mr. Mantis
4/29/2005 9:24am,
I keep them out of prison and make it so they can continue to serve their country.

Peter H.
4/29/2005 9:28am,
Let them know you care about them regardless of whether you support the administration or the war.

They are human beings, doing a job most people don't want to do or aren't capable of doing. And when they come back, they will have to rejoin what we consider regular society. Being an ass to them just makes it harder and alienates them.

patfromlogan
4/29/2005 11:17am,
You support them in your letters saying you wan tthem home in one piece.
You support them when they come home and MAKE SURE they have what they need.
You support them by NOT letting the goverment **** them over, and yes, the goverment will try.
You support the troops by understanding that its their job.
You support them for hating and trying to fix a world in which they HAVE to do their job.
You support them as best you can.

That's all any soldier can ever ask of any civilan.
"You must spread..."

I've bought three support the troop ribbons for my cars and have this in my front lawn:
http://www.fcnl.org/images/wina/yard_sign_flowers.jpg

afronaut
4/29/2005 11:26am,
Support increased VA benefits, military pay, housing allowances, equipment and training, physical and psychological rehabilitation, reasonable tour lengths, alternative energy resources, effective diplomacy and a stronger U.N. Support politicians who do.

Oppose dependence on Middle East oil, excessive sticking up for Israel, defense contractor fraud and cronyism. Oppose politicians who do.

Dralion
4/29/2005 10:16pm,
I think there are a lot of good suggestions here.

Even with my Blog (http://thenextwar.blogspot.com) , I'm careful not to include posts about troops being attacked.

Quikfeet509
4/29/2005 11:35pm,
one of the good points made by bill maher in his book listed in my sig was about how people want to support the troops yet don't know how...

...like putting support the troop stickers and flags on their gas guzzling SUV. you want to eliminate support for terrorists? quit driving fuel inefficient vehicles all over the place which puts money in the coffers of those that support the terrorists.

today bush was talking about gas prices being to high. talked about getting oil producers to kick up their output. not one mention that perhaps we should maybe try to use less gas.

patfromlogan
4/30/2005 12:38am,
I let a burned out Vietnam Veteran live in a apt cheap for years... I hired a crazed Gulf War l vet and gave him a place to live.

I pray my family and friends in the service make it out ok.

I bought a Toyota Prius.

What the **** can we do?

AthleticGirl
4/30/2005 2:30am,
You support them by trying to get them by not supporting Bush who has murdered thousands with his lies.

Mr. Mantis
4/30/2005 8:28am,
You support them by trying to get them by not supporting Bush who has murdered thousands with his lies.

So tell us how you really feel.

Actually, I don't think Bush lies. I think he believes everything he says.

Now, if you read your required reading of the essay "On Bullshit," you would know what I mean.

Stick
5/01/2005 1:52am,
I still need to pick up a copy of that.

I'm not sure of how I tangibly support the troops, I mean aside from when dad was in the Gulf and we sent him stuff and wrote him letters and I patrolled our base in Germany as if the MPs were going to miss something a legally blind ten year old would not.

Today, well I support the friends I have in the service and out of the service. Mostly by training with them in MA, I suppose you could say I'm a sort of athletic supporter.