PDA

View Full Version : help my sorry ass

Pages : [1] 2

fang shen do
4/27/2005 4:54pm,
don't ask why but I've decided to switch to an other MA in november (when my contract with fsd ends.
I need to choose between those 2 schools:

www.montrealmartialarts.com

or

www.h2oma.com

Chris.B
4/27/2005 5:11pm,
I say check them both out, you can't tell how good a school is by the site alone. I'm sure they would give you a class free of charge to see how you like it.

Poop Loops
4/27/2005 5:14pm,
If they don't give you a free class, then don't even bother paying for it.

PL

fang shen do
4/27/2005 5:15pm,
well its says on the site that there are free beginners class

fang shen do
4/27/2005 5:21pm,
but just from seeing the site what do you think?

Shuma-Gorath
4/27/2005 5:22pm,
http://www.showdown.ca/schooldirectory.html#Quebec has even more choices. Sorry I can't remember the name of the local Behring affiliate in the area but I can ask my instructor next week.

Meager
4/27/2005 5:25pm,
Obviously you should train at H2O.

fang shen do
4/27/2005 5:38pm,
thanks for the link shuma but I already saw those school before coming down to the 2 last I showed you.
no one knows anything on the instructors or the schools themselves?

Meager
4/27/2005 5:42pm,
Gelinas at Montreal Martial Arts is a Dog Brother and is therefore a certifiable bad ass. Richard Ho at H2O has a 2-1 MMA record according to Sherdog.

You should really check the schools out for yourself.

fang shen do
4/27/2005 5:49pm,
damn this is though

fang shen do
4/27/2005 6:03pm,
I was wondering does the Dog bros is only a group of real contact stick fighting or do they involve in other MAs?
And Gelinas seems to be "in" Inosanto's MAs, is that a bad or a good thing?

Shuma-Gorath
4/27/2005 6:04pm,
thanks for the link shuma but I already saw those school before coming down to the 2 last I showed you.
no one knows anything on the instructors or the schools themselves?
I just called my school; you're looking for Prof. Pedro Albuquerque. I couldn't find his address over Google but he's worth digging for. He was at my school just a few weeks ago and showed us a nice ankle pick variation.

Poop Loops
4/27/2005 6:55pm,
I was wondering does the Dog bros is only a group of real contact stick fighting or do they involve in other MAs?
And Gelinas seems to be "in" Inosanto's MAs, is that a bad or a good thing?

Check their website. They do some grappling and MT, but mainly focus on stick fighting (since when the other guy has a stick, that's what gets your attention the most)

PL

patfromlogan
4/27/2005 7:42pm,
I get the idea that most of the posters want you to CHECK OUT THE SCHOOLS IN PERSON. Work out with them.

You can be like me and have to bow out before you barf or be like me and get bored and vow never to return or be like me and sign up and pay the money and have tons of fun or be like me and pray that the guy doesn't do permanent harm while he crushes you or be like me and think that instructor REALLY has some ego problems, good bye, thanks a lot, and WHATEVER, JUST GO WORK OUT AND STOP TYPING ABOUT IT.

Like go for it. You have some great options. You are lucky.

Tofu
4/27/2005 9:31pm,
I am currently training at H20. You asked about the specific instructors... I only know Richard Ho, never met his brother Louis Ho. In my three weeks there i have not seen him once... so perhaps on vacation.. perhaps dunno...

anyway... Richard is a great guy. He is very down to earth, very humble, patient, nice and open. I dont think i could judge if he is extremely knowleagable(because my knowledge is very limited) but he seems to be. He gets alot of respect and he is often sparring in addition to his pro-fighting which definetely gives him credibility. So far my time there has been great and i find the atmosphere to be friendly and very open.

The classes comprise of 50% techniques (about 1 hour) and the other 50% (about 1 hour and longer if you want) sparring. The place is a bit small but classes have no more than 8 guys at a time (in my experience) so while it gets a bit cramped there is definetely adequate space.

You should come one night, try it out!

Alex

DJR
4/27/2005 10:17pm,
I took some kali classes with Philip Gelinas while staying in Montreal back in the summer of 2000. He seemed extremely skilled, and would definitely be worth training with. However, I found the style of kali that he teaches (Pekiti Tirsia) has a lot of complicated techniques and is not the easiest martial art to learn (especially if you're as uncoordinated as I am).