PDA

View Full Version : Something smells fishy

Pages : [1] 2

Te(V)plar
4/27/2005 1:36am,
I am looking for a place to train over the summer when I'm home. I recently found an SBG affiliated place 20 minutes from where I live! Unfortunately, the website for the joint is down, and I received no replies to my email. Here's the place's info according to SBG
Colonie Martial Arts
1892 Central Ave. Suit 21, Colonie, NY USA 12205
Tel: (518) 456-2582
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.coloniemartialarts.com

Anyway, I used google powers to search this address and number, and found the school in this location:
http://www.empiremartialartsonline.com/site/view/ContactUs.pml

Similar contact info, and even run by the same guy. The webpage is strangely barren. Im not sure why the name change suddenly occured. So, is there something suspect about the place? What do you all think?

Te(V)plar
4/27/2005 1:39am,
And seriously, I dont need a goddamned 60 dollar "evaluation" nor a goddamned tshirt. I know what I want. I also hope they dont seriously expect me to train in a tshirt.

Judah Maccabee
4/27/2005 2:20am,
What would you train in other than a tshirt?

Te(V)plar
4/27/2005 2:22am,
a rashguard, for example

meng_mao
4/27/2005 2:39am,
Some people are too cheap / can't afford a rashguard.
I know I know, they're already paying for training, but still, not everyone gets quality gear. But the point about having to buy a T-shirt is valid.

Te(V)plar
4/27/2005 2:41am,
Some people are too cheap / can't afford a rashguard.
I know I know, they're already paying for training, but still, not everyone gets quality gear. But the point about having to buy a T-shirt is valid.
Exactly. I have no problem with people who WANT or HAVE to train in a tshirt. But if I have superior equipment (especially considering it's more hygenic) or something else I prefer, so long as it doesnt interfere with others, I should be allowed to use it. If they make me try to buy one of their overpriced rashguards Ill go berzerk.

Goldust
4/27/2005 12:29pm,
“But the point about having to buy a T-shirt is valid.”

Some places will do this to rake in a little extra revenue. You can’t just wear any t-shirt or rashguard you have to wear the “official” school shirt which is often just a $5 t-shirt with a $15 logo stamped on it.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Benjamin Franklin

JKing
4/27/2005 12:42pm,
isn't that the XMA kid on the front of the empire martial arts webpage?

MadeOfOlives
4/27/2005 1:12pm,
So do you live in the Albany area then? There are a surprising amount of clubs up here if you are looking for something like BJJ.

I train at Victory Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for example. We are at the Albany YMCA, 274 Washington Avenue. The instructor is a Brown belt under Maguilla. Classes are Tuesday and thursday at 7:00pm, and saturday (no gi) at 11:00 am. If you would like more info PM.

There are a bunch of other clubs as well, including Lion Kill, a guy in Troy, and (I believe) some sort of JKD school in the process of opening.

jaychiu
4/27/2005 2:19pm,
I think Alan's updated e-mail address is: [email protected]

If you can't get in contact with Alan you can e-mail or call Luis who is the East Coast Regional Representative. He might have Alan's updated information.

One Dragon Martial Arts
9117 Taft Street, Pembroke Pines Florida 33024
Tel: (954) 443-4183
Mobile: (954) 243-6763
Web: www.onedragon.com

Kaito Dog
4/29/2005 11:21am,
We would be happy to have you stop by the school over the summer.

The new school name is Empire Martial Arts, more of a regional name tied in with NY.

This is our second year at this location . The web site is being built and will be fully functional soon

Thanks
Alan
518-456-2582

Te(V)plar
4/29/2005 11:30am,
We would be happy to have you stop by the school over the summer.

The new school name is Empire Martial Arts, more of a regional name tied in with NY.

This is our second year at this location . The web site is being built and will be fully functional soon

Thanks
Alan
518-456-2582
Awesome! Im glad to hear you guys are still around. Are you still affiliated with SBG? Have you got a schedule?

Dochter
4/29/2005 12:08pm,
[sbg?]To make our students more successful in life through the practice of Martial Arts. We strive to be a positive influence and role model in our student's lives by reinforcing the same values in our classes that parents instill at home.

We do this by teaching Martial Arts as a complete discipline, in a highly motivated and fun atmosphere. This approach helps develop self-esteem and confidence in our students while forming high individual standards of behavior.

Through the Empire Martial Art's methods of "Black Belt Excellence" we aim to produce individuals who are positive and respectful, developing concentration, patience, courage and inner strength as well as learning self-defense and enhancing their physical abilities. Our goal is to teach our students that to be a true Martial Artist is to show all of these benefits not only in class, but also in their schools, homes and communities[/sbg?]

Kaito Dog
4/29/2005 4:14pm,
Yes we are still affiliated with SBG. In regard to the 2 week intro it is designed for beginners both youth and adult.

We recently had a great workshop with Steve Whittier from SBGI

In regard to the quotes dochter. Anything written is always subjective and open to interpretation, lol.

We have classsesMon -Thurs and Sat call Alan at 518-456-2582 and we can set up a time to meet

Te V plar where are you located?

patfromlogan
4/30/2005 12:32am,
we aim to produce individuals who are positive and respectful, developing concentration, patience, courage and inner strength as well as learning self-defense and enhancing their physical abilities.

So that leaves you out Dochter?

Yrkoon9
4/30/2005 1:49am,
The only thing I kept thinking about when reading this thread was vandalism.

You need to go to his school and cover up part of the sign outside. Colonie = Colonic.

Just cover up part of the 'c' at the end. Colonic Martial Arts. We **** you in the ass. LOL. Perfect Bullshido.