Pages : [1] 2 3

fang shen do
4/23/2005 11:59am,
it's the individual that counts not the style
the proof judo vs bjj:
http://s19.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2UE1M3VLR0ODX0RFQI4L8TR99

samadhi_fire
4/23/2005 12:11pm,
Sigh... You seem shocked. Proof has always been around.

Kimura > Helio

Stick
4/23/2005 12:15pm,
That video is very, very old.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

BSDaemon
4/23/2005 12:18pm,
Remember, The practitioner comes before the art....

Thats why a Judo black belt sandbagger cleans house when he enters a BJJ tournament as a white belt.

It really proves nothing about the style.... you really have to consider the sum the practitioners in order to judge the quality of an art.

Shuma-Gorath
4/23/2005 1:40pm,
Everyone who has employed the "art not style" argument so far has forgotten that BJJ and Judo are both good styles, unlike the other arts that people often employ that argument for. For instance, fang shen do.

Xenvu
4/23/2005 1:44pm,
Its definatley the individual. I have a video of BJ Penn as a white belt beating every black belt in a judo tournament with ease. So I guess it can go either way.

bushi51
4/23/2005 1:52pm,
Well, in a BJJ tournament, that Uchi mata would have only yeilded 2 points, not the match finisher it did here. That video proves nothing. No wait it proves that a Judo Blackbelt has better stand up throwing skills than a BJJ blue belt.

Heh, ten years called, they want there shocking revelation back.

Nid
4/23/2005 2:11pm,
I don't believe it.

Video proof please of the video proof.

Nil
4/23/2005 3:17pm,
What? You mean I can't take one BJJ class and become invincible?

Ridiculous.

FormLess
4/23/2005 4:19pm,
I think you could become a very impressive grappler in both arts. When it comes to Judo VS Bjj it's a matter of who trains harder. Bjj has better ground strategy, but judo guys can destroy a Bjj practitioner when it comes to throws. I know, I've been thrown around by one. It doesn't matter though because both arts have the same roots, but they have a different emphasis. Alot of the techniques are very much the same.

access1denied
4/23/2005 4:49pm,
From my own personal experience as a recently advanced blue belt and from my father's side of the family having many Judo practicioners and blackbelts, I've come to this conclusion:

Judo and BJJ in terms of groundwork are very similar at the advanced stages. I latched on a triangle/armbar from guard on my cousin, an experienced Judoka, not 2 weeks ago, and he described it with a long ancient sounding Japanese name, along with the with my near/far knee, and summersault gaurdpasses.

Judo has too much focus on pins and throws to win bouts. When fights go to the ground, the ref will usually stand the players back up. BJJ practitioners, as a result, are usually far more well versed in submission, submission defense, sweeps, and passes, which end up winning NHB style fights.

The judoka who have come to the studio I attend get worked TBH. I have a better hip throw than most judoka too ;p.

IzzyDaHedgehog
4/23/2005 4:56pm,
Yes, let's have another BJJ vs. Judo discussion, for this would surely be productive and not-annoying! In fact, it has never been discussed before! EVER! NOT EVEN ONCE!

CanucKyokushin
4/23/2005 5:03pm,
Wait? Hold on. May I ask how you know that the guy in blue is a BJJ artist?

I thought that Olympic Judoka can wear a blue gi

access1denied
4/23/2005 6:01pm,
Now that I've actually watched the video, let me ask the same question: how in the sam hill do you know that one of those guys does BJJ as his focus? Besides the point, that match was under Judo rules.

fang shen do
4/23/2005 6:27pm,
Now that I've actually watched the video, let me ask the same question: how in the sam hill do you know that one of those guys does BJJ as his focus? Besides the point, that match was under Judo rules.
it was said in the description of the clip that the guy in blue was bjj, by the way I don't think they would have permitted a judo blue belt to fight a judo black belt, it must have been a style vs style confrontation.

access1denied
4/23/2005 6:37pm,
It was style vs. style maybe, but it was according to Judo rules. The potential BJJ practitioner was thrown onto his back (the Judo guy gave him his back essentially), and then the fight was over. If the guy in the blue does do BJJ, then playing by Judo rules is a poor style vs. style illustration.

This in no way proves anything, except that if the guy in blue does infact do BJJ, that Judo has better throws from the clinch. Which is already obvious.