PDA

View Full Version : New Food Pyramid...WTF?

Wounded Ronin
4/21/2005 9:42am,
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7548096/

Hmm, looks like a new food pyramid has been unveiled, finally. I don't know how it's supposed to be less confusing than the old food pyramid. I really don't. I guess people are just dumb and too lazy to actually, you know, go take a nutrition class or study subjects that affect their day to day life in detail.

Regardless, part of these new nutrition guidelines have me doing a double take. If I consider myself to be "active" (due to MA training, as described in my training log) the guidelines here http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7564546/ tell me that I should be eating 3,000 calories a day?

That can't be right. Maybe if I were a marathon runner, or in the military, or something demanding like that, 3,000 would intuitively sound okay. But even though I exercise harder than most Americans, I'm also not at a peak level of conditioning compared to marathon trainees or what have you. So, am I actually "sedentary"? But considering that "sedentary" is used to refer to people who sit in offices all day and don't really exercise, that dosen't sound totally right for me either.

End result: the "new" food pyramid and accompanying information changes my eyes into swirls and confuses me more than the old one did.

EDIT: Okay, I went to the government website to get more details. Apparently, I'm classified as low physical activity, so you only get the 3,000 calories if you're Asia or someone.

http://mypyramid.gov/mypyramid/results.html?age=22&gender=male&activity=low

There's my pyramid. Um, there's just one outrageous thing about that. It's telling me to drink 3 cups of milk and eat 7 ounces of meat every day. On top of this it says to go with 8 teaspoons of oil per day. Hmm, can you say, "Cholesterol through the roof?"

Furthermore, a lot of people are lactose intolerant. Luckily, I am not, but I know a lot of young people of asian descent who are. Why has "milk" suddenly got its very own food pyramid category, when in fact lactose intolerance is a likely condition when we're talking people who aren't of northern european descent?

Trippy. That's all I have to say.

Jimmy King
4/21/2005 9:51am,
I think it's oversimplifying way too much and making too many assumptions while being too specific in it's level of detail. This thing asks your age, sex, and a pretty vague level of activity and then tells you what to eat, including a calorie estimate. Apparently all 25 year old males who exercise 30-60 minutes per day should eat about 2800 calories per day. No regard to height and weight. That 30-60 minute range for exercise is a bit vague, too. For me, the jump from 30 minutes to 60 minutes is a difference of 300-500 calories, depending on the resistance I'm using and speed I'm going. That's just comparing the same exercise, things should get more out of whack when changing exercises up.

Trying to make it easy for people to be healthy is a good thing, but I don't think this is the way to do it. It's not like staying in a proper calorie range, especially for someone with no goal beyond just not being fat, is difficult to start with. If they want to be specific as to how many calories you should eat and what amounts of types of food, like they do, I think they'd be better off ditching the activity level thing and figuring in for height, weight vs average healthy weight for your height.

Traditional Tom
4/21/2005 2:58pm,
7oz of meat and 8 tea spoons of oil?
Sounds like they are encouraging people to order The Meat Lover's at Pizza Hut. Solves both requirements with just a personal pan pizza.

Yeah, I remember my head hurting when I first saw that new food pyramid, egads.

beka
4/21/2005 4:04pm,
Read Food Politics by Marion Nestle. It will help to explain why the food pyramid is, as they say in French "Le garbage".

:zicon_vik

Reboot
4/21/2005 4:37pm,
AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH! (The sound of my head exploding from stupidity overload.)

Seriously, what was wrong with the old pyramid? Now they have to draw a stick figure running up it to represent excercise?

Here's a way easier way to do a food pyramid:

Draw a triangle and in the middle, put the words:

GET OFF YOUR ASS AND PUT THE CHEESEBURGER DOWN, FATTY!

I swear, this is getting more and more ridiculous by the day...

Knightmare
4/21/2005 6:08pm,
Does anyone even adhere to the food pyramid anymore?

Wounded Ronin
4/21/2005 6:27pm,
Read Food Politics by Marion Nestle. It will help to explain why the food pyramid is, as they say in French "Le garbage".

:zicon_vik

It's mostly the meat and dairy industries who are the culprits. The amount of meat and dairy items you're supposed to get is a bit inflated usually.

Xango
4/21/2005 7:46pm,
Eskimos live on whale blubber and seal liver and raw fish.

Ethiopians live on teff flour and lentils and raw beef and stewed lamb.

Jains live entirely on vegetable matter which can be collected without violence, including grains and beans and fallen fruits but not including onions etc which must be uprooted.

Wisconsonians survive entirely on white bread, beer, meat and cheese.

Food pyramids are the most retarded idea promulgated in the name of science since phrenology.

Wounded Ronin
4/21/2005 8:01pm,
Eskimos live on whale blubber and seal liver and raw fish.

They also had physical activity through the roof and so generated enough HDLs to deal with the cholesterol they were taking in. Inuit who have moved to urban environments and abandoned the traditional lifestyle get heart attacks just like the rest of us.

Ethiopians live on teff flour and lentils and raw beef and stewed lamb.

I don't have any information regarding Ethiopians, so I won't say anything about this.

Jains live entirely on vegetable matter which can be collected without violence, including grains and beans and fallen fruits but not including onions etc which must be uprooted.

I see. And what is the life expectancy in India?

Wisconsonians survive entirely on white bread, beer, meat and cheese.

And heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US.

Food pyramids are the most retarded idea promulgated in the name of science since phrenology.

Actually, I think ignoring your diet and your health is even more dumb.

antman
4/21/2005 8:48pm,
Life expectancy india: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/country_profiles/1154019.stm

63 to 65

jubei33
4/21/2005 9:50pm,
ahhh, you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours....
this is what you get when politics and science are mixed. though I'm pleasantly surprised that Bigmacs aren't required daily consumptives at the begining of the pyramid.....
though, I am a little suspicious of the vegetable section.

Dark rich hershey's chocolate = 3 cups weekly
OilyVegetables = 2 1/2 cups weekly
Tacobell refried Beans & Peas = 3 1/2 cups weekly
Starchy deep fried Vegetables = 7 cups weekly

feedback
4/23/2005 3:24pm,
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7548096/

Hmm, looks like a new food pyramid has been unveiled, finally. I don't know how it's supposed to be less confusing than the old food pyramid. I really don't. I guess people are just dumb and too lazy to actually, you know, go take a nutrition class or study subjects that affect their day to day life in detail.

Regardless, part of these new nutrition guidelines have me doing a double take. If I consider myself to be "active" (due to MA training, as described in my training log) the guidelines here http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7564546/ tell me that I should be eating 3,000 calories a day?

That can't be right. Maybe if I were a marathon runner, or in the military, or something demanding like that, 3,000 would intuitively sound okay. But even though I exercise harder than most Americans, I'm also not at a peak level of conditioning compared to marathon trainees or what have you. So, am I actually "sedentary"? But considering that "sedentary" is used to refer to people who sit in offices all day and don't really exercise, that dosen't sound totally right for me either.

End result: the "new" food pyramid and accompanying information changes my eyes into swirls and confuses me more than the old one did.

EDIT: Okay, I went to the government website to get more details. Apparently, I'm classified as low physical activity, so you only get the 3,000 calories if you're Asia or someone.

http://mypyramid.gov/mypyramid/results.html?age=22&gender=male&activity=low

There's my pyramid. Um, there's just one outrageous thing about that. It's telling me to drink 3 cups of milk and eat 7 ounces of meat every day. On top of this it says to go with 8 teaspoons of oil per day. Hmm, can you say, "Cholesterol through the roof?"

Furthermore, a lot of people are lactose intolerant. Luckily, I am not, but I know a lot of young people of asian descent who are. Why has "milk" suddenly got its very own food pyramid category, when in fact lactose intolerance is a likely condition when we're talking people who aren't of northern european descent?

Trippy. That's all I have to say.

Milk has always been there because of the USDA