PDA

View Full Version : Question about the cost of stitches.

SARS_Attacks
4/09/2005 3:34am,
I recently cut a friend of mine(accidently) and his injury required a trip to the emergency room and 13 stitches. I'm pretty much left with the medical bill now, as he has no insurance. My question. How much do stitches cost in the state of California. I've heard from different people that they cost around 20-30 dollars a stitch.....and then my friend is saying that it costs 100 dollars a stitch(which I pray is not the case). Can anyone give me a definite price of stitches in California?

Mr. Mantis
4/09/2005 8:48am,
I recently cut a friend of mine(accidently) and his injury required a trip to the emergency room and 13 stitches. I'm pretty much left with the medical bill now, as he has no insurance. My question. How much do stitches cost in the state of California. I've heard from different people that they cost around 20-30 dollars a stitch.....and then my friend is saying that it costs 100 dollars a stitch(which I pray is not the case). Can anyone give me a definite price of stitches in California?

They don't charge by the stich. They charge by the service. You should receive a hospital bill and an emergency physicians bill. The hospital bill is for the space used, and any supplies, and the other is for the actual work of the physician.

I don't know what they charge for this in California, you will get the bill soon enough. The hospital probably has some sort of medical assistance program if your friend does not have insurance and if he is poor.

If you want to find out, you need the CPT codes and the customary charges for that at the facility he was treated. Just wait for it, and make sure you see it before giving away money.

Bizzaro Root
4/11/2005 8:47pm,
i can tell you itll pretty hefty about a 1000$ i got 8 stitches one time.

Yrkoon9
4/13/2005 2:16pm,
Stitches is the easy part. A doctor or nurses time usually inflates the bill. They pretty much count on you having insurance so they can gouge the **** outta you. I bet if you told em up front no insurance they might go easy on you...I dunno.