PDA

View Full Version : Terri Schiavo Fallout -- Another murder by judicial fiat?

Pages : [1] 2

Leodom
4/08/2005 10:09am,
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43688

This is one reason so many were fighting Michael Schiavo's insistence on removing Terri's feeding tube. The proverbial "slippery slope".

In this case, the person being starved to death has never been diagnosed as being in a persistent vegetative state and is not even terminally ill. She HAS a living will with family members provided Medical Power of Attorney. A judge has ignored the living will and given Medical Power of Attorney to the patient's grand-daughter who has ordered the patient's feeding tube removed because "who would want to live like that".

Murder by judicial fiat.

From the article:
In a situation recalling the recent death of Terri Schiavo in Florida, an 81-year-old widow, denied nourishment and fluids for nearly two weeks, is clinging to life in a hospice in LaGrange, Ga., while her immediate family fights desperately to save her life before she dies of starvation and dehydration.

Mae Magouirk was neither terminally ill, comatose nor in a "vegetative state," when Hospice-LaGrange accepted her as a patient about two weeks ago upon the request of her granddaughter, Beth Gaddy, 36, an elementary school teacher.

Also upon Gaddy's request and without prior legal authority, since March 28 Hospice-LaGrange has denied Magouirk normal nourishment or fluids via a feeding tube through her nose or fluids via an IV. She has been kept sedated with morphine and ativan, a powerful tranquillizer.

Todd explained that Gaddy had only a financial power of attorney, not a medical power of attorney, and Magouirk's living will carefully provided that a feeding tube and fluids should only be discontinued if she was comatose or in a "vegetative state" and she was neither.

Gaddy, however, was not dissuaded. When Ken Mullinax and McLeod showed up at the hospice the following day, April 1, to meet with Todd and arrange emergency air transport for Magouirk's transfer to the University of Alabama-Birmingham Medical Center, Hospice-LaGrange stalled them while Gaddy went before Troup County, Ga., Probate Court Judge Donald W. Boyd and obtained an emergency guardianship over her grandmother.

Under the terms of his ruling, Gaddy was granted full and absolute authority over Magouirk, at least for the weekend. She took advantage of her judge-granted power by ordering her grandmother's feeding tube pulled out, just hours after it had been inserted.

Bizzaro Root
4/08/2005 10:19am,
just heard about this, im against this because she has a will stating otherwise. i think there was major slip ups on both the hospice side of things and the judicail. imo the terry shiavo case is not the same, they argued over evidence about her not wanting to live a sertain way and it was adjudicated that way. this case will obviously be appeal and won on appeal.

oh and did you even read your own article its not the niece its the grandaughter.

Jekyll
4/08/2005 10:29am,
"should only be discontinued if she was comatose or in a "vegetative state" and she was neither"
I don't get it, she's awake and alert and they're staving her to death?

Leodom
4/08/2005 10:40am,
"should only be discontinued if she was comatose or in a "vegetative state" – and she was neither"
I don't get it, she's awake and alert and they're staving her to death?

She has been heavily sedated

She has been kept sedated with morphine and ativan, a powerful tranquillizer.

Jekyll
4/08/2005 10:54am,
So she is comatose?
That's a really shitty article which doesnt tell me what's going on, why she's sedated or if she's only comatose because she's sedated.

And its the only one I can find on google news.

Leodom
4/08/2005 11:16am,
[poor taste reference] From Monty Python's "The Holy Grail"

Bring out your dead!
[clang]
Bring out your dead!
CUSTOMER: Here's one -- nine pence.
DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!
MORTICIAN: What?
CUSTOMER: Nothing -- here's your nine pence.
DEAD PERSON: I'm not dead!
MORTICIAN: Here -- he says he's not dead!
CUSTOMER: Yes, he is.
DEAD PERSON: I'm not!
MORTICIAN: He isn't.
CUSTOMER: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.
DEAD PERSON: I'm getting better!
CUSTOMER: No, you're not -- you'll be stone dead in a moment.
MORTICIAN: Oh, I can't take him like that -- it's against regulations.
DEAD PERSON: I don't want to go in the cart!
CUSTOMER: Oh, don't be such a baby.
MORTICIAN: I can't take him...
DEAD PERSON: I feel fine!
CUSTOMER: Oh, do us a favor...
MORTICIAN: I can't.
CUSTOMER: Well, can you hang around a couple of minutes? He won't
be long.
MORTICIAN: Naaah, I got to go on to Robinson's -- they've lost nine
today.
CUSTOMER: Well, when is your next round?
MORTICIAN: Thursday.
DEAD PERSON: I think I'll go for a walk.
CUSTOMER: You're not fooling anyone y'know. Look, isn't there
something you can do?
DEAD PERSON: I feel happy... I feel happy.
[whop]
CUSTOMER: Ah, thanks very much.
MORTICIAN: Not at all. See you on Thursday.

[/poor taste reference]

Thaiboxerken
4/08/2005 11:24am,
It's hard for me to come up with any real opinion on this, as the article does not even attempt to explain what the woman's medical condition is. In fact, I've searched for articles that do explain the woman's medical situation but I can only find articles on pro-life blogs and websites that simply reprint the worldnet daily article.

Something is fishy here and I don't think it has to do with the court.

afronaut
4/08/2005 11:27am,
If this is true, it would be huge news.

I did a search on the Atlanta Constitution (linked here (http://www.ajc.com/search/search/Magouirk+/UnifiedSearch?query=Magouirk+&collection=site) and I didn't find a single article mentioning the names of either of the women.

CNN doesn't have it. Neither does Fox News.

It's been 16 hours since World Net posted it. Where's the rest of it?

afronaut
4/08/2005 11:34am,
I just called the Hospice the nurse I spoke to says they have no patient by that name.

Hey Leo, what do you called it when something isn't rented or leased?

Oh, yeah ... PWNED!

Thaiboxerken
4/08/2005 11:37am,
Wow, worldnet daily fabricated a story. I'll never trust another e-tabloid again! :eusa_doh:

Thaiboxerken
4/08/2005 11:55am,
I just informed Snopes.com and it looks like they will be investigating this story to see if it's true or not.

Leodom
4/08/2005 12:01pm,
I just called the Hospice the nurse I spoke to says they have no patient by that name.

Hey Leo, what do you called it when something isn't rented or leased?

Oh, yeah ... PWNED!

I hope you're right. However, based on the new HIPA regulations, they may have to say that to avoid violating privacy rights.

Either way, I'm sure Snopes will find out.

I will happily proclaim my ownage if this turns out to be utterly false.

Wounded Ronin
4/08/2005 12:25pm,
It's a good thing that "Schiavo" ends with an "o", since it lets us use the term "Schaiv0wned".

In any case, *if* someone were in a state like that, I think the cruel thing would be to keep them alive. But, this has already been discussed too much.

Quikfeet509
4/08/2005 12:32pm,
I hope you're right. However, based on the new HIPA regulations, they may have to say that to avoid violating privacy rights.

Either way, I'm sure Snopes will find out.

I will happily proclaim my ownage if this turns out to be utterly false.

slight correction: due to HIPAA, they could neither confirm or deny they have or had a patient with that name.

Leodom
4/09/2005 11:39am,
Unfortunately this appears to be all too true. I do not understand why it's not being covered more. Perhaps the media feels with the excessive coverage of Terri Schiavo that people don't want to hear about another one. Especially one that doesn't support the right to die position.

If I were cynical, I would attribute the lack of coverage to the fact that it doesn't fit the liberal template and doesn't show the right to life crowd as extremist.

Damn, I'd rather proclaim self-ownage.

jubei33
4/09/2005 12:15pm,
ah, but all the facts arent in yet, you still have time.